41 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Look forward too seeing Overton bounce back . Competitive District from looks of it

As bad as last year's record was, they had like a dozen guys graduate. Realignment or not, some guys are gonna have to step it up. 22 and 1 can't do it by themselves. 

1 hour ago, Maudite said:

It’s nice to be in a district with Overton again.    This district is up for grabs.  Realignment IS GOOD!

It's a better fit. Overton has no business trying to play with the likes of Timpson, Tenaha, or Grapeland. 

6 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

Yeah you lose Tenaha and Grapeland but mart and Muenster move into div2 region 3.  Both coming off of state championships with plenty of returning starters.  

Perhaps, but Mart and Muenster won't be in the same district as Overton.

I find it highly unlikely that Overton will be in a position to play either of them in the next two years. 

17 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

I dont.  4 teams make playoffs.  Sims? Detroit? Clarksville? Mt E?....cmon man.  Restore the roar.

Barking up the wrong tree, my dude. My connection to Overton is tenuous at best. All I know is that #22 and #1 are the only returning starters that will ball out. Can't vouch for any of the rest.  

Mount E? You mean the team that beat Overton last year with 13 guys? Simms Bowie? They won 46-22 and that was with Overton's most talented athlete still on the team. I'll grant you Clarksville and Detroit though. Gonna be an epic pillowfight. 

From my uninformed perspective, best-case scenario for next year would be somewhere around .500, with a one-and-done playoff appearance.

Do you think Overton would draw Mart/Muenster in bi-district? That seems like a stretch. 

I absolutely love what @trueblue82 did at the District 11-2A thread with his Joaquin preview. Granted, I'm pretty far out of the loop but here's my way-too-early and really really uninformed Overton Mustangs outlook for 2018.

2017 season: 1 win and 9 losses, finished 5th place in District 10-2A (D-II) with losses to...  everyone they played (except for Wortham).

Who they lost: Shawn Sartors (TE/LB/OL/DB/WR/P), Darius Herndon (OL/DL), Ashton King (OL/DL), Brandon Allison (OL/DL), Joe Clark (ATH/DB), as well as nine seniors and two other starters (underclassmen) who quit before season's end. Dunno if they'll come back or not. Replacing four-year starters Sartors and Herndon will be impossible, as well as seasoned linemen King and Allison—both took up a lot of space on both sides of the line. If the two talented juniors who quit last year (a very talented back and lineman), don't come back that's going to hurt as well.

Returning starters: Senior FB/LB Hudson Rogers, Senior ATH/DB Luke Osburn, Senior OL/DL Garrett Worley, EDIT: Soph. QB/DB Cole Marshall, Soph. TE/LB Kaden Dike, and a buncha underclassmen who were plugged in at various spots as the season wore on.

Keys for next year: Looking ahead a vital need is depth and line play. Only having, like, 30 kids come out for two-a-days is a disgrace. Rogers and Osburn are classic old-school Overton athletes: hard-nosed and aggressive, but they're not big kids with game-breaking speed. They need help from their teammates. EDIT: Hopefully sophomore QB Marshall provides some continuity on offense this season. Junior lineman Peyton Roberts and his classmates have to step it up as well. 

The defense gave up upwards of 50 points per game last year, and that's with multiple games using a running clock in the second half. So it goes without saying that Overton has to get A LOT better on defense. I have no idea how they're gonna do it. Rogers and Osburn will have another all-district season's at LB, but Coach Strickland has his work cut out for him filling the rest of the holes. 

Overall: The Mustangs really needed this realignment. I haven't heard what their non-district schedule is, still there's no reason why they can't go .500 and make the playoffs. But no one is just going to roll over and give it to them. This team has to show more of what Mike Clyde used to call "testicular fortitude." Mental toughness and perseverance. 

Way-too-early prediction: I say the 'Stangs finish 5-5, tied with Mount Enterprise for third place. Maud and Simms-Bowie should battle it out for the district title.

Maud outlook 2018

2017 REVIEW

The Cardinals went 5-7 losing in the area round of the playoffs to Iola.   Cardinals had to overcome some issues and injuries that cost them upperclassmen athletes.   By the mid point in the season they only had 4 seniors playing quality minutes.  

Starters lost

Gage Jones, QB/LB; Alex Sultz, C/DL; Brooks Minter, RB/LB; Cameron Mills, OL; RJ Bailey, WR/DB (season ending injury midway through season)

Starters Returning

Rayne Bailey, soph, RB/LB; Cade Townsend, JR S, Hunter Thomas, Jr,WR/CB; Ryan Griffin, Jr, CB; Brock Foster, JR, OL, C. Sprague, soph, OL; Thomas Daniel, OL; Skylar Pate, Soph, OL; Payton Windham, soph, FB/DL; Brandon Hall, Soph, WR/DE; Markus Berry, Jr, DE; Seth Brower, Soph, DL.  

Replacing The seniors that are graduating will be tough.   Sultz and Jones are 4 year starters and Minter was the teams leading rusher.   We lost some other very talented seniors earlier in 2017 season but the younger kids really worked hard and were able to keep us competitive.   We have a ton of sophomores who will be juniors next year.   I see them regularly and I know they are working extremely hard.   Maud is not gifted with a bunch of natural athletes.   We have to work to compete and the kids seem to be putting in the effort.  I think with all of what we lost and the question marks we could win the district or we could not win a game.....who knows.   That said I think we will be closer to the first.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matthias said:

Returning starters: Senior FB/LB Hudson Rogers, Senior ATH/DB Luke Osburn, Senior OL/DL Garrett Worley, Junior QB/DB Jaylon Shelton, Soph. TE/LB Kaden Dike, and a buncha underclassmen who were plugged in at various spots as the season wore on.

Overall: The Mustangs really needed this realignment. I haven't heard what their non-district schedule is, still there's no reason why they can't go .500 and make the playoffs. But no one is just going to roll over and give it to them. This team has to show more of what Mike Clyde used to call "testicular fortitude." Mental toughness and perseverance. 

Junior QB/DB Jaylon Shelton left Overton during semester break..."Shelton was a bright spot at QB last year, he's got to assert himself as a leader on offense" (lol)... returning to Henderson from where he came I guess after he saw Overton would be going to a Wing-T offense where he was regulated to a blocking WR.

The non-district schedule has them playing Campbell, Union Grove, Carlisle, Como-Pickton, Burkeville.

1 hour ago, Ronster23 said:

The non-district schedule has them playing Campbell, Union Grove, Carlisle, Como-Pickton, Burkeville.

Win, loss, loss, loss, win.

I thought Campbell was six-man? Are they trying to play up now?

1 hour ago, Ronster23 said:

"... and that was with Overton's most talented athlete still on the team."  No, he was already dismissed from the team.  He only played one game against UG.

Oh really? Wow, I thought he'd made it at least two games. Dang. 

On 2/3/2018 at 7:49 PM, Matthias said:

I absolutely love what @trueblue82 did at the District 11-2A thread with his Joaquin preview. Granted, I'm pretty far out of the loop but here's my way-too-early and really really uninformed Overton Mustangs outlook for 2018.

2017 season: 1 win and 9 losses, finished 5th place in District 10-2A (D-II) with losses to...  everyone they played (except for Wortham).

Who they lost: Shawn Sartors (TE/LB/OL/DB/WR/P), Darius Herndon (OL/DL), Ashton King (OL/DL), Brandon Allison (OL/DL), Joe Clark (ATH/DB), as well as nine seniors and two other starters (underclassmen) who quit before season's end. Dunno if they'll come back or not. Replacing four-year starters Sartors and Herndon will be impossible, as well as seasoned linemen King and Allison—both took up a lot of space on both sides of the line. If the two talented juniors who quit last year (a very talented back and lineman), don't come back that's going to hurt as well.

Returning starters: Senior FB/LB Hudson Rogers, Senior ATH/DB Luke Osburn, Senior OL/DL Garrett Worley, EDIT: Soph. QB/DB Cole Marshall, Soph. TE/LB Kaden Dike, and a buncha underclassmen who were plugged in at various spots as the season wore on.

Keys for next year: Looking ahead a vital need is depth and line play. Only having, like, 30 kids come out for two-a-days is a disgrace. Rogers and Osburn are classic old-school Overton athletes: hard-nosed and aggressive, but they're not big kids with game-breaking speed. They need help from their teammates. EDIT: Hopefully sophomore QB Marshall provides some continuity on offense this season. Junior lineman Peyton Roberts and his classmates have to step it up as well. 

The defense gave up upwards of 50 points per game last year, and that's with multiple games using a running clock in the second half. So it goes without saying that Overton has to get A LOT better on defense. I have no idea how they're gonna do it. Rogers and Osburn will have another all-district season's at LB, but Coach Strickland has his work cut out for him filling the rest of the holes. 

Way-too-early prediction: I say the 'Stangs finish 5-5, tied with Mount Enterprise for third place. Maud and Simms-Bowie should battle it out for the district title.

Ok... We're feeling good about realignment.

What we lost.  Well none of them will be impossible to replace.  But King and Allison will be a big loss on the o-line. Sartors started two of three years on varsity, and Herndon was only a two year varsity player.  But he was a two time all district D lineman and a headhunter on special teams.  The lineman who didn't come back last year was replaced by Worley who turned in an All District season at center, and is returning.  Rogers and Osburn will definitely have to man the running game.  Rogers is a two time all district back, and Osburn scored as a RB, WR, and QB this year, and was all district at WR. Marshall seems to be the most likely choice for QB but he doesn't have many games under his belt.  Roberts got some good time in this year on the o-lineman and will be expected to start.  

On defense losing King will hurt, but Worley should be able to handle that spot.  Rogers returns as the only four year starter on the team and has had back to back 100+ tackle all district seasons.  Osburn also garnered all district ILB this season.  And honestly after that, it's a c##pshoot.  We have to build a defense and not give away games with missed tackles and lackluster efforts like last year.  I'll take a 5-5 season and a playoff berth as a positive next season.

I won't comment on the district games because I know nothing on any of the teams except for Mount E.  IMO the have a potentially game breaking RB, but their participation is low.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MUSTANGMANIA said:

Ok... We're feeling good about realignment.

What we lost.  Well none of them will be impossible to replace.  But King and Allison will be a big loss on the o-line. Sartors started two of three years on varsity, and Herndon was only a two year varsity player.  But he was a two time all district D lineman and a headhunter on special teams.  The lineman who didn't come back last year was replaced by Worley who turned in an All District season at center, and is returning.  Rogers and Osburn will definitely have to man the running game.  Rogers is a two time all district back, and Osburn scored as a RB, WR, and QB this year, and was all district at WR. Marshall seems to be the most likely choice for QB but he doesn't have many games under his belt.  Roberts got some good time in this year on the o-lineman and will be expected to start.  

On defense losing King will hurt, but Worley should be able to handle that spot.  Rogers returns as the only four year starter on the team and has had back to back 100+ tackle all district seasons.  Osburn also garnered all district ILB this season.  And honestly after that, it's a c##pshoot.  We have to build a defense and not give away games with missed tackles and lackluster efforts like last year.  I'll take a 5-5 season and a playoff berth as a positive next season.

I won't comment on the district games because I know nothing on any of the teams except for Mount E.  IMO the have a potentially game breaking RB, but their participation is low.

The secondary will be a definite concern as it was a very weak spot last year...oh and Sartors started three years on varsity...Sophomore year DB, Junior year TE, Senior year TE, OL, OLB