49 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

Do you guys expect more participants next year considering its a more competitive schedule?  I hope so.  

I'll defer to Mania and Ronster on this (because I have no idea) but my understanding of the turnout (or lack thereof) is that it had nothing to do with likely outcome of the season. The outlook for this past season was actually somewhat optimistic until guys started quitting. 

Participation has been dwindling for the last several years. 

15 hours ago, Matthias said:

I'll defer to Mania and Ronster on this (because I have no idea) but my understanding of the turnout (or lack thereof) is that it had nothing to do with likely outcome of the season. The outlook for this past season was actually somewhat optimistic until guys started quitting. 

Participation has been dwindling for the last several years. 

It's the kids attitudes.  Had several seniors come out for sports this year that had not played in three to four years previously.  And they actually thought they were owed positions and playing time based off the fact that they were seniors and that upperclassmen should get the nod over the other kids.  Unfortunately we had to use some of them for football... But then they started quitting after the first basketball SCRIMMAGE because of their playing time, and had one quit on the bus ride home from our FIRST BASEBALL SCRIMMAGE.  He's a senior that's never played but was told he would be used as a courtesy Runner  because of his speed.  Half of our team is still playing basketball, therefore we played with a bunch of freshmen and hardly had any baserunners. He didn't get inserted so he quit after one meaningless scrimmage.  Are underclassmen I'll have much better attitudes.  I don't know what kind of numbers will have come football season.  But I'd rather take 25 kids who want to get out there and play hard and give effort then to take 35 or 40 and have them think they're owed something without earning it. 

I better leave now. I really do not want to get on my soapbox about this topic!!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, MUSTANGMANIA said:

I better leave now. I really do not want to get on my soapbox about this topic!!

Naw dude, don't hold back! Get yourself up on that soapbox and put it all on blast! :woot:

phrl12s.gif

45 minutes ago, MUSTANGMANIA said:

It's the kids attitudes.  Had several seniors come out for sports this year that had not played in three to four years previously.  And they actually thought they were owed positions and playing time based off the fact that they were seniors and that upperclassmen should get the nod over the other kids.  Unfortunately we had to use some of them for football... But then they started quitting after the first basketball SCRIMMAGE because of their playing time, and had one quit on the bus ride home from our FIRST BASEBALL SCRIMMAGE.  He's a senior that's never played but was told he would be used as a courtesy Runner  because of his speed.  Half of our team is still playing basketball, therefore we played with a bunch of freshmen and hardly had any baserunners. He didn't get inserted so he quit after one meaningless scrimmage.  Are underclassmen I'll have much better attitudes.  I don't know what kind of numbers will have come football season.  But I'd rather take 25 kids who want to get out there and play hard and give effort then to take 35 or 40 and have them think they're owed something without earning it. 

Have to agree with a lot of what Mania states here, so many think they are entitled to playing time and not willing to work for it ...I think the majority (but not 100%) of the underclassmen (think he had a typo or two in that sentence, lol) have good attitudes and work ethics...of the 9 seniors that finished the football season only 4 played all four years, 1 played three, 1 played two, and 3 played only their senior year, so experience was minimal...incoming freshman class has few that may contribute immediately, but hopefully they will come out and stay the course...and I would also rather have 25 kids who will dedicate themselves to playing hard and applying a concerted effort.

I may get you guys from the south end fired up; but, this district is Maud's to lose.

James Bowie probably won't have enough athletes to be competitive.

After going 1-10 this year Clarksville will be much improved.

Detroit has some good kids and will be in the playoff mix.

I am going to say Maud at the top, then Overton, MT Enterprise, Detroit, Clarksville battling for the 3 remaining spots in no particular order. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 73tigers said:

I may get you guys from the south end fired up; but, this district is Maud's to lose.

Fired up? Meh...  all of these teams have plenty to prove and I don't think there's any front-runner's yet. 

Maud went 5-7 last year, outlasting hapless Meridian in a shootout 56-41 during their bi-district playoff game before being pasted by Iola 50-0. Only one point better than Mount Enterprise, who also backed in to the playoffs with a sub. 500 record before Iola handled them 51-0. Granted, the rest of next year's 10-2A teams ain't exactly murderer's row. Simms-Bowie (2-8), Detroit (2-8), and Overton (1-9) all missed the playoffs, with Clarksville (1-10) getting the honor of a one-and-done loss to Bremond's JV (due to finishing better than Detroit in 9-2A standings). 

So, yeah, I guess Maud might be the sexiest pig in the barn dance, but that ain't saying a whole lot.  😆

I'm probably squinting through green-colored glasses, but if a few things come together I think Overton can bounce back...  going 5-5 and being in the hunt to win the league isn't too pie-and-sky.

Non-district: I think they can beat Campbell and Como-Pickton, but will likely lose to Union Grove and Price-Carlisle. (Do they have a replacement for Burkeville yet?) So maybe they go 2-3 (or possibly even 3-2).  District: I say they can beat Detroit and Clarksville. Maud/Mount Enterprise/Simms-Bowie games will be closer. I think 3-2 is do-able.  

If Strickland can turn things around and make a two-week run in the post-season, it could be a pretty nice bump in pay for his next job.

10 hours ago, Matthias said:

Overton (2-8), Simms-Bowie (2-8), and Detroit (2-8) all missed the playoffs, with Clarksville (1-10) getting the honor of a one-and-done loss to Bremond's JV (due to finishing better than Detroit in 9-2A standings). 

Sadly, Overton was 1-9...not 2-8

5 minutes ago, Ronster23 said:

Sadly, Overton was 1-9...not 2-8

Good lord, you're right...  dang, totally forgot about that.

Y'know, the funny thing is that I initially put their season down as "3-7" before going back and "fixing" it. I guess I just can't comprehend an Overton team going 1-9. 

• 3 months later...

On the bright side, realignment was certainly good for a bunch trying to regroup.

Maud ......................... 5-7

Mount Enterprise ....... 3-8

Simms Bowie ............. 2-7

Detroit ....................... 2-8

Clarksville .................. 1-10

Room to grow .... only down side is wearing out a bus.

On 5/17/2018 at 5:09 PM, DOB said:

On the bright side, realignment was certainly good for a bunch trying to regroup.

Maud ......................... 5-7

Mount Enterprise ....... 3-8

Simms Bowie ............. 2-7

Detroit ....................... 2-8

Clarksville .................. 1-10

Room to grow .... only down side is wearing out a bus.

Wait till that offensive genius Dewaski Davis gets that powerful blue machine that is the Clarksville Tigers rollin; all I can say is look out!

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, UnclePig said:

Wait till that offensive genius Dewaski Davis gets that powerful blue machine that is the Clarksville Tigers rollin; all I can say is look out!

Well at Maud we lose a good senior group but we should still have some solid kids returning. This season should be interesting. I say us, ME, JB, and CV are the 4 playoff teams. Just not sure of the order yet. 

Tigers are getting a field makeover; maybe it will make for a team makeover as well.

All critics aside, I look for the Tigers to be much improved; however, much improved on a 1-10 record may not be a district championship. I think it will mean a more respectable record heading into the playoffs.

On 5/20/2018 at 8:05 PM, TheGodfather said:

Well at Maud we lose a good senior group but we should still have some solid kids returning. This season should be interesting. I say us, ME, JB, and CV are the 4 playoff teams. Just not sure of the order yet. 

Dewaski Davis calls offense like the great Mike Thomas!

• LOL! 1

• 2 months later...

ETSN 2018 Preview for 10-2A

1.) Maud
2.) Mount Enterprise
3.) Clarksville
4.) Detroit
5.) Simms-Bowie
6.) Overton 

<sigh>  Overton picked dead last in district:

Just three offensive starters come back, which might not be such a bad thing, considering Overton managed less than 18 points per game a season ago. Expect senior running back Luke Osburn to shoulder much of the load on the offensive side of the ball after his 1,100-yard, 13-touchdown season in 2017.

As difficult as it was for the Mustangs to be competitive on offense last year, it might have been an even bigger disappointment for the defense. In 2017, opponents averaged a whopping 44.7 points per game, which in effect kept Overton from seriously challenging for wins on a week-to-week basis. Arnold is hopeful that with the all-district linebacker Hudson Rogers returning to anchor that side of the ball, the Mustangs can at least be more difficult to score against this fall.

They're not gonna blow anyone off the field with their speed/size/talent, but if they work hard and play physical, I do believe they can hang around the middle of the pack and maybe even upset some teams. Defense is the key though. They have got to stop, or at least slow teams down on defense. 

I think breaking .500 is within the realm of possibilities. 

Coach Arnold certainly has his work cut out for him, but I believe he's just about the perfect man for that program right now. 

Reading this thread I don’t see any confidence from anyone. Only thing anyone has said they see teams improving this year. My question is do y’all really think the teams are going to better or will they just have better records from being in a weaker district this year? 

1 hour ago, Lion1996 said:

My question is do y’all really think the teams are going to better or will they just have better records from being in a weaker district this year? 

Yes.