On 8/6/2018 at 8:14 AM, AKA said:

They're not gonna blow anyone off the field with their speed/size/talent, but if they work hard and play physical, I do believe they can hang around the middle of the pack and maybe even upset some teams. Defense is the key though. They have got to stop, or at least slow teams down on defense. 

I think breaking .500 is within the realm of possibilities. 

Coach Arnold certainly has his work cut out for him, but I believe he's just about the perfect man for that program right now. 

Arnold believes Overton turnaround will take time  (Henderson News)

Overton first year coach Justin Arnold put to rest any thoughts of a miracle turnaround when he was hired as the Mustangs’ new head football coach earlier this summer.

“I told them that if they were expecting 9-1 or 10-0, that can’t happen,” he said. “But I’m going to take it day by day and stay the course. I’ve already told them this is what I want to get done. We want to take baby steps, but we also want to win some games,” he said.

Overton finished 1-9 a year ago and has won more than four games just twice since 2007. The team went 8-3 in 2016 and advanced to the second round of the playoffs.

“The good thing is it’s a new start for everyone,” said Arnold. “If it wasn’t me, it would be another new guy that’s getting a fresh start. We’ve got a few kids back, but looking at depth scares me. If the injury bug hits, we could be in trouble.”

Luke Osburn, Hudson Rogers and Cole Marshall are three seniors back to lead the way for Overton. Others are Peyton Roberts, Garrett Worley and Justin Gomez.

“I’m hoping to have Luke, Hudson and Cole step up to where we can build around them,” Arnold said.

Roberts, Rogers, Worley and Osburn are all seniors, while underclassmen Kaden Dike (sophomore), Jamal Kendall (freshman), and Kevin Bittle (freshman) could play big roles.

“Our young guys are going to have to come up and play early,” Arnold said. “Those three (Dike, Kendall, and Bittle) worked hard this offseason and could play some big roles for us.”

The Mustangs take on Alto and T.K. Gorman in the preseason and open the regular season Aug. 31 at Campbell.

“It’s nothing against anyone that was here before, but this thing is going to take time to build,” Arnold said of turning the program around.

On 2/9/2018 at 10:22 AM, AKA said:

Non-district: I think they can beat Campbell and Como-Pickton, but will likely lose to Union Grove and Price-Carlisle. (Do they have a replacement for Burkeville yet?) So maybe they go 2-3 (or possibly even 3-2).  District: I say they can beat Detroit and Clarksville. Maud/Mount Enterprise/Simms-Bowie games will be closer. I think 3-2 is do-able.  

Has Overton found a replacement for Burkeville yet, or are they playing a 9-game schedule? 

I know Maud is working really hard right now.  We have only 5 seniors out but we do have 12 or so juniors.   The now juniors had to play a lot last year due to injury and other issues so they should be much better.  I don’t know if the new offense will be fun to watch but i believe it’ll be effective and better suit our talent. 

On 2/1/2018 at 5:17 PM, AKA said:

As bad as last year's record was, they had like a dozen guys graduate. Realignment or not, some guys are gonna have to step it up. 22 and 1 can't do it by themselves. 

I totally agree Matthias. That being said look out for 11......great pedigree....oh wait Figure 4!!!! Hahaha. WOOOOOOOO!!!! That's right jet flying, limousine riding, kiss steal wheeling dealing is back baby.

• LOL! 1

On 8/14/2018 at 11:06 AM, RicFlair said:

I totally agree Matthias. That being said look out for 11......great pedigree....oh wait Figure 4!!!! Hahaha. WOOOOOOOO!!!! That's right jet flying, limousine riding, kiss steal wheeling dealing is back baby.

My reaction when I see @RicFlair has returned after a two-year absence: 

0D8ZBrE.gif

Maud scrimmaged Prairiland last night. The offense struggled a bit to get going but that’s to be expected as the whole thing is new to the kids. The defense gave up a score with the 1s in the first controlled series but after a couple adjustments settled in and played really well the rest of the night. The offense did get loose for a few big plays and won the live quarter 6-0. 

With all that said, I believe by district the defense oughta be pretty stout, and the offense should get better as they get more reps. Lots of young kids, including freshmen, will be playing major roles this season. I still look for us to compete for the district title and definitely make playoffs.

Maudite, do you have anything to add?