2018 College Baseball Thread

thegreatbambino

27 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Tenn Tech looks scary. I realize they play in a mid-major conference, but they still had the best record in D1 baseball. I'd still take them in Austin over Ole Miss away. 

I wouldn't. Ole Miss always chokes before Omaha lol! 

I just didn't realize they'd do it so early this season. Tennessee Tech looked pretty good at putting up runs. How's the Texas pitching? 

4 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I just didn't realize they'd do it so early this season. Tennessee Tech looked pretty good at putting up runs. How's the Texas pitching? 

Texas is much better at home too though.  

8 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Starting pitchers looked great during regionals.  The Longhorns starting pitchers threw 20.2 innings allowing two earned runs in three games. The bullpen also threw well when called upon. Playing in Austin is yuuuuggge. I saw that the series was sold out by 10:00pm.

14 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Dayton didn't beat Louisville

Davidson beat North Carolina, and we played Louisville in the CWS. I understand that things are easy to confuse, but for anyone who's remotely followed the team, those are pretty simple, straightforward facts. Besides, Davidson was obviously a good enough team to beat the #2 overall seed and we sitll had to go win those games... It's not like it was handed to the team. If you cite that, you have to cite many other schools who have "backed into" Omaha trips when opposing 1 seeds didn't make it out of their regionals. 

He was close to winning the SEC last year and the year before (won the conference tourney and finished a game out of first). What team HAS competed for the SEC title every year for the past 6 years? He competed (or at least been in the hunt the lsat few weeks of the season) 3 of the 6 years we've been in the SEC (2015-2017). He made it to Omaha last year, but he had been to 3 straight SRs before that. Title caliber? Likely not, although he's pulling in his best recruiting class as we speak. Several coaches have coached longer than he has and have won it all after that time period. Heck, some rarely went to regionals before their 10th year. So he MAY be title caliber.

Either way, what coach with a legit chance of us getting is on your short list? You say you wanted Deggs (who's name you didn't even know), but he's made 1 SR, lost in a regional, and missed the tournament twice there. He's a huge risk when you consider what we DO have. 

First off, slow down with the tone. You knew what I meant with Davidson or whatever. It may not be your opinion, but there are several reasons why RC could be let go and several reasons why he should be kept. I don’t dislike RC. I don’t completely disagree with you for wanting him to stay. I’m simply saying you know what you’re getting with him and id rather risk it with someone else. Yes RC has a good class coming, but I think 3 of them just got drafted 1st rd so they aren’t coming. After that it’s about his normal class honestly. 

My point is, unless we see him do something we haven’t seen in his 10+ years on campus, we know what to expect from him from here on out. .500 overall sec play and getting out coached in a super before kicking into Omaha once every 4-5 years. Then 2 and out. Just my personal preference is you hire a guy and take a chance. Maybe in 5 years you’re hiring someone new again or maybe you’ve hired a guy that leads you farther than RC did. That’s a risk I’m willing to take. It’s okay that you’re not but it doesn’t mean my side is unjustified. 

17 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yeah, I was at every A&M home game and a few road/neutral games. We caught a Texas team that was playing great ball... The thing is we thought A&M was playing well too  with how well we did in the SEC tournament with wins over Auburn and Vandy (two Super Regional teams) and Georgia (possibly an SR team) while playing Ole Miss close (another possible SR team). But then Kilkenny had probably the worst game of the season, and Chafin didn't look nearly as good as he did against Vanderbilt. That's baseball haha

Like I said, the way Texas is playing and the way Ole Miss is in the postseason, I wouldn't be surprised if Texas advanced to the CWS (especially if Ole Miss can't close Tennessee Tech).

Baseball is so strange but so great haha. How Tennessee Tech just beat Ole Miss in 2 games after Ole Miss only had 4 home losses all season is absolutely insane. 

17 hours ago, WETSU said:

It depends who you’re talking to. I personally think he should be gone. This is his 12th or 13th season and you know what you’re getting with him. He is a above average pitching coach, but typically has below average fielding and hitting has been inconsistent. He’s going to get you to the regionals and the supers every other year, but he’s not a title winning caliber coach. He’s had losing seasons in the sec 3 of 6 years. He’s not even close to winning the sec right now. And shouldn’t that be the measure? People say he made it to Omaha just last year but he backed into that when Louisville lost to Dayton. 

Hes just good enough that you aren’t sure if you’ll hire someone the same level unless it’s a big steal, but he’s also bad enough that every season you know something will fall apart at some time. Inconsistent is the best way to describe his teams. 

The reason I asked is because we've seen some coaches stay a little too long. I'm not that invested in A&M baseball but I know he's been there for a while. Even though Texas made the CWS in 2014, Augie's last 5 seasons were pretty mediocre (not saying A&M is mediocre). But sometimes you see coaches wear out their welcome so to speak and I was wondering if y'all felt that with Childress. I didn't feel that with Augie, but I sure did with Mack Brown haha.

16 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

At one point we were talking about how they would be lucky to even make one

And now they are hosting a super regional... When I saw them play down in Baton Rouge, I thought it was another mediocre season in the books.

5 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

The reason I asked is because we've seen some coaches stay a little too long. I'm not that invested in A&M baseball but I know he's been there for a while. Even though Texas made the CWS in 2014, Augie's last 5 seasons were pretty mediocre (not saying A&M is mediocre). But sometimes you see coaches wear out their welcome so to speak and I was wondering if y'all felt that with Childress. I didn't feel that with Augie, but I sure did with Mack Brown haha.

Wanna talk worn out coaches? Wayne Graham was pretty tough to see this year. Went to a Rice game and it took him probably 5 minutes to get out to the mound for a visit. That is a domino that will have a nice ripple effect on college baseball. The current short list for that job is...

1. Kirk Sarloos - TCU Pitching Coach, former Astro

2. Lance Berkman - 2nd Baptist HC, former Rice Owl and Astro

3. Matt Riser - Southeastern Lousiana HC

4. Matt Deggs - Sam Houston HC

I want Berkman for the job, but I think Sarloos gets it with their HC not going to Miss State

4 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Wanna talk worn out coaches? Wayne Graham was pretty tough to see this year. Went to a Rice game and it took him probably 5 minutes to get out to the mound for a visit. That is a domino that will have a nice ripple effect on college baseball. The current short list for that job is...

I want Berkman for the job, but I think Sarloos gets it with their HC not going to Miss State

Kendall Rogers of D1 baseball tweeted yesterday that Sarloos was staying at TCU. 

6 minutes ago, topher805 said:

No joke, when I heard Graham's name the other day on tv I thought "he is still alive?"

I really like Deggs. I think he's a great coach and even better person. I think if somehow that A&M was to open, he would be a great fit there.

Just now, ETXfan16 said:

No joke, when I heard Graham's name the other day on tv I thought "he is still alive?"

I really like Deggs. I think he's a great coach and even better person. I think if somehow that A&M was to open, he would be a great fit there.

I think Deggs is CS bound eventually. His body of work at Louisiana as Hitting Coach is impressive.

2 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Kendall Rogers of D1 baseball tweeted yesterday that Sarloos was staying at TCU. 

That's interesting. It is my understanding that he was the school's #1, but the alumni want Berkman. I know Sarloos is next in line to take over at TCU if Schlossnagle leaves, so maybe the school renegotiated his deal to keep him around. 

10 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I think Deggs is CS bound eventually. His body of work at Louisiana as Hitting Coach is impressive.

I also saw that Jim Schlossnagle pulled his name from the Miss St. job. TCU had some injuries, but they were not a very good ball club this year.

31 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I don't get it. There is a lot of talk around here wanting him....

But I can't be the only one who remembers when he was here before just how much people hated him running our offense. "Damnit, Deggs" was the CONSTANT shout from the crowd. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

First off, slow down with the tone. You knew what I meant with Davidson or whatever. It may not be your opinion, but there are several reasons why RC could be let go and several reasons why he should be kept. I don’t dislike RC. I don’t completely disagree with you for wanting him to stay. I’m simply saying you know what you’re getting with him and id rather risk it with someone else. Yes RC has a good class coming, but I think 3 of them just got drafted 1st rd so they aren’t coming. After that it’s about his normal class honestly. 

My point is, unless we see him do something we haven’t seen in his 10+ years on campus, we know what to expect from him from here on out. .500 overall sec play and getting out coached in a super before kicking into Omaha once every 4-5 years. Then 2 and out. Just my personal preference is you hire a guy and take a chance. Maybe in 5 years you’re hiring someone new again or maybe you’ve hired a guy that leads you farther than RC did. That’s a risk I’m willing to take. It’s okay that you’re not but it doesn’t mean my side is unjustified. 

My apologies. There's been a lot of aggressive talk about canning Childress across many sites and I'm pretty over it all. Didn't mean to take it out on you, brother. 

My issue with it all is yes, you know what you get with RC (sort of... again, some coaches have done a lot after doing nothing for 10+ years). Regardless, RC usually has us competitive in games and puts us in a position to win (this regional not withstanding). That's all you can really do in baseball with how random the game can be. Sometimes the breaks fall your way (like Davidson beating UNC) and sometimes they don't (like this year and the year where TCU hosted the Super, both times when we should've hosted the games). 

I dunno. It kinda reminds me of the people who wanted Sherman gone. I thought he was a solid coach who needed to change a thing or two about how he managed games, but didn't need to be fired. But so many people wanted him gone because we needed to "take a risk" and get a new coach. That led to Sumlin who was fired a few years later. So yeah, we could fire Childress and potentially get a coach that'll take us to Omaha more (although what school really goes every 2-3 years, really? very few), but we could also be missing the tournament many years. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

My apologies. There's been a lot of aggressive talk about canning Childress across many sites and I'm pretty over it all. Didn't mean to take it out on you, brother. 

My issue with it all is yes, you know what you get with RC (sort of... again, some coaches have done a lot after doing nothing for 10+ years). Regardless, RC usually has us competitive in games and puts us in a position to win (this regional not withstanding). That's all you can really do in baseball with how random the game can be. Sometimes the breaks fall your way (like Davidson beating UNC) and sometimes they don't (like this year and the year where TCU hosted the Super, both times when we should've hosted the games). 

I dunno. It kinda reminds me of the people who wanted Sherman gone. I thought he was a solid coach who needed to change a thing or two about how he managed games, but didn't need to be fired. But so many people wanted him gone because we needed to "take a risk" and get a new coach. That led to Sumlin who was fired a few years later. So yeah, we could fire Childress and potentially get a coach that'll take us to Omaha more (although what school really goes every 2-3 years, really? very few), but we could also be missing the tournament many years. 

I see your points. 

I still gun to my head say take the risk, but it’s a 55/45 decision. Very close either way and no matter what happened I wouldn’t be upset about it. 

On 6/3/2018 at 6:18 AM, WETSU said:

Anyone who supports a university who’s colors are burnt orange can’t say a word about somebody else having hideous jerseys. Burnt orange is a ugly color on everything. 

What a well thought-out response....for a six-year old. Yep....too bad that we got saddled with burnt orange....when we could have had a really ORIGINAL color like maroon. Give me the burnt orange any day of the week. Take your glasses off, pal. You boys in maroon will be playing catch-up with UT for the rest of your lives.

And keep wearing that Peter Principle t-shirt. 👍 It looks good on you!

• Stinks 1

22 minutes ago, BossSpearman said:

What a well thought-out response....for a six-year old. Yep....too bad that we got saddled with burnt orange....when we could have had a really ORIGINAL color like maroon. Give me the burnt orange any day of the week. Take your glasses off, pal. You boys in maroon will be playing catch-up with UT for the rest of your lives.

And keep wearing that Peter Principle t-shirt. 👍 It looks good on you!

Well look at you stud. Channeling your inner Robert Duvall tough guy. Keep up the good work sport! 👍🏻

• LOL! 1

22 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Tennessee Tech wins game 1 and outhit Texas 11 to 5. WOW! I dunno how deep their bullpen is. Texas had to use a lot of pitchers as well, though. 

Texas Tech beat Duke. 

Texas couldn't finish off batters. The Texas starter gave up a ton of 2 out hits and the centerfielder should have caught the go ahead hit. But they did out play Texas.