2018 College Baseball Thread

thegreatbambino

Texas lost a lot, but return possibly the best pitcher in the Big 12 in Nolan Kingham. They have a lot of pieces to replace and they hope to use some JUCO/transfers to help replace the production lost. I think they will finish in the top 4 of the Big 12. TCU and Tech are the front runners of the conference. 

Super excited for the upcoming season. Got my season ticket books this past week, and it looks to be a fun season with a lot of great games on the home schedule. 

Everyone is trying to get their hands on tickets to the Texas game. Tickets sold out in a hurry. I'm more excited for the LSU series, Long Beach series, and Florida series. 

3 hours ago, topher805 said:

Gonna try to catch them at Minute Maid

Are you gonna watch the whole Classic?

I'm excited for that tournament. Sam will play three top-15 ranked teams in Kentucky, Vanderbilt, & Mississippi State. Will hopefully see how the team is shaping up after that weekend. 

7 hours ago, TTman7 said:

Are you gonna watch the whole Classic?

I'm excited for that tournament. Sam will play three top-15 ranked teams in Kentucky, Vanderbilt, & Mississippi State. Will hopefully see how the team is shaping up after that weekend. 

Can't. My school is hosting a tournament that same weekend and I have to count pitches at least 1 day. I want to catch the Vandy or Miss State game at the very least. 

On 2/10/2018 at 8:28 PM, WETSU said:

A&M is loaded. Anything less than a trip to Omaha is a severe letdown this season. Absolutely loaded pitching staff and maybe the best infield in the sec. 

Yes aTm has a good squad, but to be the best in the SEC in anything this year the Aggies will have to be better than the Razorbacks and I'm not sure that will happen. This is the best Arkansas team that Van Horn has had, with the deepest pitching staff (and serious front line studs) combined with an experienced defense and a explosive offense. This could be the year Arkansas wins it all, but a trip to Omaha should be on the horizon.

DBU is ranked 16 I believe? This team will be very good and Omaha has never look more reachable. Center fielder Jameson Hannah is the #23 prospect. Got some good veteran pitching this year, along with some big bats from JUCO transfers. We've had success making regionals, 4 in a row, but I really hope to see these guys go further. The coaching staff and players are grade A guys. 

I'll be in Baton Rouge next weekend to catch the LSU/Texas series! Really looking forward to seeing the Box.

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

Yes aTm has a good squad, but to be the best in the SEC in anything this year the Aggies will have to be better than the Razorbacks and I'm not sure that will happen. This is the best Arkansas team that Van Horn has had, with the deepest pitching staff (and serious front line studs) combined with an experienced defense and a explosive offense. This could be the year Arkansas wins it all, but a trip to Omaha should be on the horizon.

Arkansas will be good for sure. I don’t think they are the sec favorite like you do, but they are capable. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Arkansas will be good for sure. I don’t think they are the sec favorite like you do, but they are capable. 

#4 - D1 Baseball Poll

#3 - College Baseball Newspaper Fabulous 40

#6 - USA Today Coaches Poll

#4 - Baseball America Poll

Only SEC team ahead of them is the consensus #1 Florida, I think Arkansas has as good a shot as anybody to dethrone the Gators. 

43 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

#4 - D1 Baseball Poll

Only SEC team ahead of them is the consensus #1 Florida, I think Arkansas has as good a shot as anybody to dethrone the Gators. 

We've seen the Gators pitching staff succeed though... that's the difference.  Florida by far had the best pitching in the SEC last year, and no one really believes that changes this year.

3 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

DBU is ranked 16 I believe? This team will be very good and Omaha has never look more reachable. Center fielder Jameson Hannah is the #23 prospect. Got some good veteran pitching this year, along with some big bats from JUCO transfers. We've had success making regionals, 4 in a row, but I really hope to see these guys go further. The coaching staff and players are grade A guys. 

I'll be in Baton Rouge next weekend to catch the LSU/Texas series! Really looking forward to seeing the Box.

DBU is a really tough team. Every time we play them it's a really tough game. When we've played them in 3 game series, they always win at least 1 game. Much respect for DBU. We don't play them this year, thankfully ha

3 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

A&M could legit go to Omaha and finish 3rd or 4th in the SEC again. Last year there were what... 3 or 4 SEC teams in Omaha? Arkansas are always tough because they have a great coach. 

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

#4 - D1 Baseball Poll

I know where they are ranked... I’m just saying from my opinion (which I follow college baseball in the sec very closely) Arkansas is not the team to beat. It’s florida. I think you can realistically make an arguement based on your favorite team on who is the second best between Several teams. It wouldn’t shock me to see any of the top 6 sec teams win the conference or finish 6th in it. The sec is that deep and that talented. Arkansas is good but so are about 6 others. 

28 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I know where they are ranked... I’m just saying from my opinion (which I follow college baseball in the sec very closely) Arkansas is not the team to beat. It’s florida. I think you can realistically make an arguement based on your favorite team on who is the second best between Several teams. It wouldn’t shock me to see any of the top 6 sec teams win the conference or finish 6th in it. The sec is that deep and that talented. Arkansas is good but so are about 6 others. 

I agree with this. Florida will be tough, but the SEC is always pretty stellar. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

DBU is a really tough team. Every time we play them it's a really tough game. When we've played them in 3 game series, they always win at least 1 game. Much respect for DBU. We don't play them this year, thankfully ha

They're scrappy! Our big test will be a series at Clemson.

17 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

We've seen the Gators pitching staff succeed though... that's the difference.  Florida by far had the best pitching in the SEC last year, and no one really believes that changes this year.

16 hours ago, WETSU said:

The difference is always going to be pitching. And yes, I am a little biased, but Arkansas' pitching will be a close second behind Florida depending on health. The Arkansas rotation is deep and talented, with all 3 weekend starters having big league velo and plus breaking balls. The mid-week starters and bullpen arms are also plentiful. There are a number of arms to choose from that have great stuff.

If I'm wrong then I will be happy to admit it, but Arkansas will challenge Florida in the end for the best staff in the SEC.

5 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

The difference is always going to be pitching. And yes, I am a little biased, but Arkansas' pitching will be a close second behind Florida depending on health. The Arkansas rotation is deep and talented, with all 3 weekend starters having big league velo and plus breaking balls. The mid-week starters and bullpen arms are also plentiful. There are a number of arms to choose from that have great stuff.

If I'm wrong then I will be happy to admit it, but Arkansas will challenge Florida in the end for the best staff in the SEC.

Arkansas and A&M are a wash at pitching man... Arkansas has a little more proven starters, A&M has a little deeper bullpen. Both will be stellar staffs.