2018 College Baseball Thread

thegreatbambino

15 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Arkansas and A&M are a wash at pitching man... Arkansas has a little more proven starters, A&M has a little deeper bullpen. Both will be stellar staffs. 

Although both will rely on some Freshman arms to an extent, I think A&M's success as a staff is a little too reliant on those Freshman. I think Arkansas is deeper and more experienced. I'm not taking anything away from A&M, and I know Rob is a heckuva a Pitching coach, but I just think Arkansas has an advantage here and will be better on the mound. 

19 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Baseball in the South... if I remember correctly, weren’t the majority of the teams in Omaha from the south?

And in other "water is wet" news, the top NCAA hockey teams come from the North.  Sorry, I couldn't resist seeing how we are days from starting the season and much of the North is shoveling snow or dealing with temperatures with highs in the 30s.

Just now, Lhornfan said:

And in other "water is wet" news, the top NCAA hockey teams come from the North.  Sorry, I couldn't resist seeing how we are days from starting the season and much of the North is shoveling snow or dealing with temperatures with highs in the 30s.

we aren't much warmer... although we don't have that frozen water mess to deal with...  

I've always been curious on what schools in those regions do to start the baseball season... 

I would start off with as many away trips down south as possible in pre-conference play and host the last half of it before conference.

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

Although both will rely on some Freshman arms to an extent, I think A&M's success as a staff is a little too reliant on those Freshman. I think Arkansas is deeper and more experienced. I'm not taking anything away from A&M, and I know Rob is a heckuva a Pitching coach, but I just think Arkansas has an advantage here and will be better on the mound. 

I’ll take that bet lol 

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

That's my line of thinking... Coach Childress always tinkers with the rotation until he gets it right. Last year he put in the original Saturday starter, Mitchell Kilkenny, in the closing role and put the closer, Corbin Martin, in the Saturday starting role. Both worked out well. He also let John Doxakis into the bullpen where he did a lot better... This year, it looks like Kilkenny is back in the rotation, at least to start the season. I'm interested to see how our rotation looks come SEC play. 

9 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Not sure I mentioned a bet, but I've been known to gamble a little. What's the wager? Most wins? Lowest ERA? Better WHIP? 

I know you weren’t betting. I just meant I think A&M finishes with a better overall team ERA. Not just the starters but bullpen. I agree that Arkansas might edge them out in the starters, but I think A&M has a top 3 bullpen in the game this year. So my bet would be A&M finishes with a lower team era. Arkansas starters get more wins. Arkansas gets a slight edge in WHIP because I think A&M walks a few more guys but gets out of jams better and keeps the era down. 

5 hours ago, WETSU said:

I know you weren’t betting. I just meant I think A&M finishes with a better overall team ERA. Not just the starters but bullpen. I agree that Arkansas might edge them out in the starters, but I think A&M has a top 3 bullpen in the game this year. So my bet would be A&M finishes with a lower team era. Arkansas starters get more wins. Arkansas gets a slight edge in WHIP because I think A&M walks a few more guys but gets out of jams better and keeps the era down. 

A&M may have a strong bullpen now, but you have to remember how much Coach Childress tinkers with the pitching. We may have a guy in the bullpen shift to the starting role and vice versa. 

Also, A&M pitchers generally don't walk batters. Coach Childress is extremely  tight about that. I know we had a couple of rough seasons in there, but last year our pitchers issued only 213 walks compared to the 246 that our opponents did. That's 3.3 per game, or about 1 every 3 innings or so. Not our best by any means, but still really good. 

Dude, looking back to the Wacha/Stripling days of 2012, we issued only 138 walks in 61 games . That's only 2.25 walks per game. Further, Wacha only allowed 17 walks all year in 15 starts. No wonder he's in the big leagues now. 

17 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

A&M may have a strong bullpen now, but you have to remember how much Coach Childress tinkers with the pitching. We may have a guy in the bullpen shift to the starting role and vice versa. 

Also, A&M pitchers generally don't walk batters. Coach Childress is extremely  tight about that. I know we had a couple of rough seasons in there, but last year our pitchers issued only 213 walks compared to the 246 that our opponents did. That's 3.3 per game, or about 1 every 3 innings or so. Not our best by any means, but still really good. 

Dude, looking back to the Wacha/Stripling days of 2012, we issued only 138 walks in 61 games . That's only 2.25 walks per game. Further, Wacha only allowed 17 walks all year in 15 starts. No wonder he's in the big leagues now. 

Wacha was a straight menace in high school too (in a good way). My knees were a little shaky in the box when I had to face him.

18 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Wacha was a straight menace in high school too (in a good way). My knees were a little shaky in the box when I had to face him.

I remember at A&M he threw 93-94 well into the 6th and 7th innings. Was he throwing that fast in HS? If so I'd be intimidated as all Hell too. 

Even when he first got to A&M as a freshman, he was dominant. He had several wins, a few losses in games that got away from him... But man that dude was a standout even as a freshman. By the time he was a Sophomore, he was one of the strongest in the game. Had 2 wins in 2 starts in the regional and easily dispatched of Florida State in the Super Regional deciding game to send us to Omaha. 

A&M got a little Olsen Magic today scoring 2 in the 9th to win 4-3 and take the series vs Rhode Island. Going for the sweep tomorrow. Pitching has been solid but hitting must get better if this team wants to make it back to Omaha. They struggled today. 

On 2/16/2018 at 3:16 AM, JohnnyFootball said:

I remember at A&M he threw 93-94 well into the 6th and 7th innings. Was he throwing that fast in HS? If so I'd be intimidated as all Hell too. 

Even when he first got to A&M as a freshman, he was dominant. He had several wins, a few losses in games that got away from him... But man that dude was a standout even as a freshman. By the time he was a Sophomore, he was one of the strongest in the game. Had 2 wins in 2 starts in the regional and easily dispatched of Florida State in the Super Regional deciding game to send us to Omaha. 

He was definitely low 90's consistently in HS. Pleasant Grove had some really good teams then. His brother was a good ball player too. 

4 hours ago, thegreatbambino said:

Texas preseason schedule is tough

Notable series

2/23-25 @LSU (3 games)

3/8-11 Stanford (4 games)

3/13&14 Arkansas (2 games)

4 game set with Stanford, then turn right around for a 2 game set against Arkansas is brutal.

Tough oOC scheduling

13 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The A&M vs SFA game tomorrow may not be played. Bad, bad weather headed this way and supposed to persist all day/night tomorrow. 

At best the game would be rescheduled. Might miss a game or two this weekend as well. 

Its a southern moving storm... its going to start here sometime tonight and persist through Friday night/ Saturday morning... its one of those crappy ones that causes a lot of flooding.