Boys basketball playoff news

chevyman

2 hours ago, t-dub said:

How come Carthage doesn't have the same sort of following for basketball this year that they've had in football? It's the same kids playing b'ball that played f'ball. Maybe it's a "Big school" thing.. They are not even covered in the local paper,or on Maxpreps, where it still has last years roster. Being from Beckville, people go to most all sporting events, maybe it's because we know most of the kids , so i was just curious. Not trying to stir the pot, just wondering if it really is just the school size differences. 

Sorry i gotta LOL seeing the words Big school and Carthage in same sentence.  I've only one theory, and it involves using the word 'Bandwagon.'  But some things just are the way they are.  Football has always been king in Carthage, always has been and most likely always will be.

I thought Grapeland and Tenaha had met more in recent years, but it seems they have been on opposite sides of the bracket more often than not. Both have been the most consistent teams in Region III for the better part of a decade. Tenaha has played in the last three Regional Finals. This should be an outstanding game on Friday...

2017: Grapeland 99 - Tenaha 83 (Regional Finals)

2014: Grapeland 83 - Tenaha 49 (Regional Semifinals)

2009: Tenaha 72 - Grapeland 65 (Area Finals)

Of the four teams at the 2A Region III Finals this year, three of them were at the Regional Tournament last year (Grapeland, Tenaha, & Shelbyville). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, t-dub said:

How come Carthage doesn't have the same sort of following for basketball this year that they've had in football? It's the same kids playing b'ball that played f'ball. Maybe it's a "Big school" thing.. They are not even covered in the local paper,or on Maxpreps, where it still has last years roster. Being from Beckville, people go to most all sporting events, maybe it's because we know most of the kids , so i was just curious. Not trying to stir the pot, just wondering if it really is just the school size differences. 

Maxpreps doesn't update any schools stats/rosters or information unless someone does it for them on the schools behalf. They only update rankings/etc. Someone from Carthage just needs to start being their official bookkeeper and taking care of it. Sad thing is, you could find a lot of good schools this year in Texas and nobody has updated anything from 2-3 years ago. Most of the time it's the schools coach/asst coach that does it all.  

2 hours ago, DTrump said:

Center has to be favored by what 20+?

They split games during district play.  Both won at home.  Center fans will gladly tell you the refs gave Carthage the game in Carthage but I wasn't there to see it.  Should be an entertaining environment though.  

8 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

Dont get me to lying im doing good just trying to keep up with what round we're in.  Per local radio announcer this is the farthest Dawgs hoops has been since 1970 but we're lucky if he even knows who we're playing half the time. This much is certain, this is the best we've done in basketball in a long long time.

In the 1969-70 season, the Carthage basketball team made it all the way to the state semi-finals, where they were defeated by Kerrville Tivy in Gregory Gymnasium on the University of Texas campus.  The late Bill Tatum was the coach.  His starters were seniors Larry Tipton (later played at Panola JC) and Paul Leggett (later played baseball at Sam Houston), juniors Johnny Carter (later played at East Texas Baptist College and Panola JC) and Dale Ware, and sophomore Donnie Novak (later played baseball at Panola JC).

This team missed no practice time due to an extended run in the football playoffs, as the football team lost their first 7 games on the way to a 2-7-1 season.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know what the thinking was several years back when they moved the regional tournament to the middle of nowhere in Leon? I went to the 1A and 2A tournaments at SFA or TJC every year but haven’t been very often since Leon became the 2A site. It has just never made sense to me especially since most of the teams that make it that far seem to always be going out of their way as well to travel to the games. Just wondering if anyone knows why it ever got changed and what the reasoning for picking Leon was?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jtylich said:

Does anyone know what the thinking was several years back when they moved the regional tournament to the middle of nowhere in Leon? I went to the 1A and 2A tournaments at SFA or TJC every year but haven’t been very often since Leon became the 2A site. It has just never made sense to me especially since most of the teams that make it that far seem to always be going out of their way as well to travel to the games. Just wondering if anyone knows why it ever got changed and what the reasoning for picking Leon was?

My guess is the same as everything else involving the UIL: follow the $$$$$$$$$$. 

• Stinks 1

1 hour ago, Greezychef said:

I asked somebody this once and the answer was, "they placed a bid, they won the contract" and yes, it is a long way from Tenaha.   

Was once told by an AD that there weren't very many sites that wanted to host the region.

That might translate that there aren't very many that want to give the UIL all the gate receipts......

22 hours ago, Jtylich said:

From my understanding it has to do with the shifting of the regions, when the tournament was at SFA and TJC those venues were centrally located within region 3 at the time. Now, the old region 3 got split with about half of the team's going to region 2, and half staying in 3. The central Texas schools in region 3 used to be in region 1. I think the southernmost schools used to be in region 4. TJC is now within region 2, so it wouldn't make sense, SFA is towards the northern edge of region 3. Not too many central locations in the region available to host the tournament either.

16 minutes ago, LTPride said:

From my understanding it has to do with the shifting of the regions, when the tournament was at SFA and TJC those venues were centrally located within region 3 at the time. Now, the old region 3 got split with about half of the team's going to region 2, and half staying in 3. The central Texas schools in region 3 used to be in region 1. I think the southernmost schools used to be in region 4. TJC is now within region 2, so it wouldn't make sense, SFA is towards the northern edge of region 3. Not too many central locations in the region available to host the tournament either.

I’m guessing they haven’t seen Crockett, Tatum, Central Heights? Of course, a school would have to submit an application to host it. 

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

I’m guessing they haven’t seen Crockett, Tatum, Central Heights? Of course, a school would have to submit an application to host it. 

Very nice gyms you mention, however, Tatum is currently within region 2, Central Heights same issue as SFA, northern border of the region, so wouldn't be centrally located to the rest of the schools, now, Crocket would probably work. How they picked the best central location I'm not sure.

23 hours ago, Playfor77 said:

Laneville has to go to Austin for the regional tournament, and that’s after going to New Braunfels. Ridiculous, but that’s the UIL.

That Regional is wild. Laneville is outside of Henderson. Oakwood is outside of Palestine. Leggett is off of 59 outside of Livingston. The only school this benefits is Waelder, because they are located on I-10 between Houston and San Antonio.