Southlake Carroll Releases Findings in Regards to Hal Wasson Investigation

TheLionWire

The sad part about all of this is that this information surely came from someone inside the program. Someone on staff currently, maybe with the involvement of some disgruntled parents, video taped and provided evidence to hurt Coach Wasson and his career. They're about to have to pay out Coach's contract for a heavy penny. I know they aren't hurting for money, but I can see this turning out A LOT like the Desoto situation or the Navasota situation. It's never good to let esteemed coaches, such as Wasson, that are influential members of the THSCA go in such a way. No question there will be a lot of folks apply for the position, but you have to think this hurts the SLC brand/program... 

14 minutes ago, ibleedorange said:

he knowingly violated UIL rules to gain a competitive advantage. Just cause

The supposed rules that were broken could have easily been simple mistakes or oversight as much as it could be what you claim...

2 hours ago, ibleedorange said:

he knowingly violated UIL rules to gain a competitive advantage. Just cause

#### rules made by UIL....every school should be allowed to do what they did plain and simple. I think having offseason rules are stupid the only thing UIL needs to worry about is the in season rules and transfer rules...everything else like practice and clinics should not be so strict.

2 minutes ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

#### rules made by UIL....every school should be allowed to do what they did plain and simple. I think having offseason rules are stupid the only thing UIL needs to worry about is the in season rules and transfer rules...everything else like practice and clinics should not be so strict.

The Off-season rules were made because of coaches that abused the system in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

The Off-season rules were made because of coaches that abused the system in the past.

Oh I understand that but so what if they abused that privilege I think they should take 2 months off January and February and then be able to have a period practice and after school practice like regular season all spring and summer long. Then you don't have to worry about clinics and other stuff.

2 hours ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

Oh I understand that but so what if they abused that privilege I think they should take 2 months off January and February and then be able to have a period practice and after school practice like regular season all spring and summer long. Then you don't have to worry about clinics and other stuff.

And what about the kids that can't participate because they are involved in other sports or school related activities? Or the kids that use that time to spend with family, or work, or for extra study time for their future? Those that can't participate would be further behind and for some it could cost them with the team. 

Life isn't just about football, and breaking UIL rules, no matter whether we agree with them or not, sends our kids the wrong message and we have enough things in our society that send the wrong messages. 

• Thanks 1

TOTAL BS witch hunt. Just sit the guy down and tell him you want to hire a different coach. Do be a wuss! Wasson is a very good man with good ethical standards. MANY other schools break these same infractions. Remember, when he took over for Todd Dodge he didn't change much they were already doing...hummmmmm? All of the metro mess schools do things the same way he has been doing them. Heck, coaches from the opposing and surrounding schools work these camps. They ALL do it! 

Lastly, we have allowed our suits in education to start doing things this way for an easy "push someone out" approach. Then we wonder why our schools, educators, and students have to deal with the real possibilty of violence such as that in Florida. The BS has gotten BAD! Quit tip toeing around and have some balls.............with all issues! Hell, no wonder so many of our kids are screwed up in the head. We make them that way. 

1 hour ago, Golfingnut said:

Life isn't just about football, and breaking UIL rules, no matter whether we agree with them or not, sends our kids the wrong message and we have enough things in our society that send the wrong messages. 

Amen to that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RickyT said:

TOTAL BS witch hunt. Just sit the guy down and tell him you want to hire a different coach. Do be a wuss! Wasson is a very good man with good ethical standards. MANY other schools break these same infractions. Remember, when he took over for Todd Dodge he didn't change much they were already doing...hummmmmm? All of the metro mess schools do things the same way he has been doing them. Heck, coaches from the opposing and surrounding schools work these camps. They ALL do it! 

Lastly, we have allowed our suits in education to start doing things this way for an easy "push someone out" approach. Then we wonder why our schools, educators, and students have to deal with the real possibilty of violence such as that in Florida. The BS has gotten BAD! Quit tip toeing around and have some balls.............with all issues! Hell, no wonder so many of our kids are screwed up in the head. We make them that way. 

They all do it? So, I guess you think it's ok then? If we don't like the rules, change them, but to excuse anyone for breaking rules because they all do it is ridiculous. 

As far as it being a witch hunt. If he didn't break any rules, I agree. If he broke the UIL rules then it's not a witch hunt. Maybe, whoever brought this to the UIL's attention, has known it's been going on for years. If so, and they are just now speaking up, then shame on them for not originally coming forward. If it's someone within the school system they should be gone also. Regardless, the bottom line is, did he break UIL rules? 

17 minutes ago, RickyT said:

Oh, and to say following the rules could result in the same horrible tragedy that happened in Florida is asinine. The violence in this country is a direct result of people letting society teach our children that rules don't have to be followed and if we don't like someone or something we have the right to do away with them. Lack of character doesn't come from following rules or standing up in integrity for what's right. It comes from believing that life is about us and what we want regardless of what rules or laws we have to break. When do we stand up to teach our children respect for authority, respect for rules and respect for life?

• Like 2

THEY ARE PETTY RULES! You can walk into any program across the state and find rules being broken. PETTY RULES! That is when it is a witch hunt. Hal Wasson was doing what "almost" every program in that area does. He just got called out by an AD that had an axe to grind. I can promise you there are others out there breaking MAJOR rules! Go to a 7 on 7 tournament. There are more rules being broken at one of these events in one day, than Hal Wasson broke in all of his years combined. 

39 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Oh, and to say following the rules could result in the same horrible tragedy that happened in Florida is asinine. The violence in this country is a direct result of people letting society teach our children that rules don't have to be followed and if we don't like someone or something we have the right to do away with them. Lack of character doesn't come from following rules or standing up in integrity for what's right. It comes from believing that life is about us and what we want regardless of what rules or laws we have to break. When do we stand up to teach our children respect for authority, respect for rules and respect for life?

RULES????????? Seriously? Rules in the schools these days are the JOKE! There aren't any. Yeah, I agree with you.....and if they break a rule, they get pencil whipped and a bunch of red tape follows. Kids don't get kicked out of school anymore, and there are no real consequences for their actions. It is all about seeing how many fruit cakes we can keep in, and how many parents we can please. No child left behind.....blah, blah, blah! When the schools started changing 15-20 years ago, we started seeing the results. Guess what, it isn't going to stop. Like Michael Berry said on the radio yesterday, "the next shooter and the next school is out there and it WILL happen again". Yes, it is a society thing all together, but part of the blame lies directly on how and what we have allowed our school systems to become.  

52 minutes ago, RickyT said:

RULES????????? Seriously? Rules in the schools these days are the JOKE! There aren't any. Yeah, I agree with you.....and if they break a rule, they get pencil whipped and a bunch of red tape follows. Kids don't get kicked out of school anymore, and there are no real consequences for their actions. It is all about seeing how many fruit cakes we can keep in, and how many parents we can please. No child left behind.....blah, blah, blah! When the schools started changing 15-20 years ago, we started seeing the results. Guess what, it isn't going to stop. Like Michael Berry said on the radio yesterday, "the next shooter and the next school is out there and it WILL happen again". Yes, it is a society thing all together, but part of the blame lies directly on how and what we have allowed our school systems to become.  

I'm totally confused here. You say kids need to be held responsible for their actions but yet you believe a coach shouldn't be held to the same standards. 

As far as schools being responsible for part of society's problems, I disagree. The family unit or lack there of is responsible. Our children will take into school the qualities that we as parents instill in them. If we've done as parents what we should, no one in the school can change those qualities. It starts at home, when kids are young. If we are teaching them that it's ok to get around the rules because the rules are terrible, and if kids are coming to school and seeing their teachers, coaches or friends get away with breaking rules, then we shouldn't be surprised that they have a me, me, me attitude with no respect for anyone, unless that person is telling them what they want to hear. We can't hold kids responsible if we aren't going to hold adults responsible. 

I know Hal Wasson as he coached my son at Pittsburg many years ago. He is a man of class and integrity and I have the utmost respect for him. I would hope that this all is just a way for some parents to oppose him for not playing their son as much as they would like. I would also think that he may not have fully understood the UIL rule. In any case Southlake Carrol is a very proud school with a strong tradition of winning and if you don't win State every year then it's time for a change. I hope the best for Coach Wasson.

10 minutes ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

Football is life in Texas....if kids play other sports that's their faults for missing extra practices but lets be real if they are playing other sports and good enough to start once they can practice football then your comment is obsolete.

Sports? It isn't all about sports. Some of these athletes are brilliant minds that do plenty more than athletics.