Can a small school coach make the jump to a big school?

Mr. P

12 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

100% fact, great post.

Carthage was where Longview is now with King. Once a quality coach in Sleepy Reynolds retired and we eventually got Surratt the program took off. I’d say Reynolds had just as much talent or more talent than Surratt has had. 

I’ve believed for several years Longview needs a change at HC. I do think King is a good coach I just don’t think he’ll ever win a championship. 

Need to slow down with the "Carthage was where Longview is now with King". Carthage was never in its history where Longview is now with King. Longview is at a very high level in the biggest class. Longview is an elite program that just can't quite get over that proverbial hump. But Carthage was never anywhere close to what Longview is now until 2007 when we made quite possibly the best/luckiest hire in TXHSFB history. No program has been as lucky as Carthage with Surratt. For him to stay this long is a homerun. Guy wins 3 titles in 4 years, after having so much success at TX High, 99.9% of guys burn rubber outta 3a. And no Anti, I'm not talking to a real 5a/6a program. Who do you think Charlie wanted at Texas when he hired Traylor? Why do you think one of our coaches got the opportunity to go to A&M and coach for 3-4 years? You think Sumlin didn't want Surratt on his staff. Surratt has had many opportunities to leave for college gigs. Dude could be calling plays at a big time school in 5-6 years.

25 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Demographics and social disparity. Social disparity.

Explain exactly what you mean.

Longview (JT and Lufkin) has many poor kids from the hood that are coming from single parent households. Many below the poverty line. By no means all, but many. When Longview gets in the playoffs they meet up with schools that are from the burbs where these issues are much less of a factor. It's richer kids coming from 2 parent households with above average income. This in some ways gives them and the schools a competitive advantage. Those schools from the burbs will have some of the same kind of kids Longview has, but they will have a much more diverse group. Look at Carthage. Our best teams have been very diverse. Filled with both kind of kids, even though Carthage is not a wealthy or suburban community. If you look at Carthage their personnel looks very much like what you see in the NFL to be honest. I think everyone knows what that means. I won't go any further than that cause there is so many snowflakes somebody would get outraged if I used the terms "white" and "black". But look at Carthage 2017. Looked a lot like the Eagles, Vikings, or some other really good teams. This is just being totally honest. To be at your best you have to have diversity. That is not just in football. Any team whether in sports or industry, always is at its best when it is truly diverse. Carthage has that luxury, and really Longview does not.

Anyway, no longer entertaining addressing these folks from Carthage who don't know football. 

Back to the topic at hand, what started this thread was me and Mav's comment that majority of the time, small school coaches don't translate as well to big schools. 

Here is list just off the top of my head of great small school coaches who didn't translate well to the big leagues or moving up classes:

Barry Bowman -  we all remember him and big school fans use to hear it all the time about his greatness. He led D-Field to a 44-3 record and 3 2A championships in a 3 year span. Did well at 4A Paris as well. Then went to 5A Pine Tree as DC and well, wasn't exactly pleasant. He wasn't head coach but he was in charge of a defense that gave up almost 50PPG in his time there. He's now at 4A Center, with a combined 19-16 record the past 3 seasons. Pretty safe to say that whether it was Paris, PT or Center...he didn't have anywhere near the success that he had a 2A D-Field. 

Darrell Piske - Had good success at Fairfield before TISD hired him to be Lee's HC. Didn't have anywhere near the success he had at Fairfield at Lee however. He finished 15-26 after 4 seasons at Lee. Kurt Traylor from Gilmer is getting his chance now, and the first season wasn't exactly Gilmer. For what it's worth, playoffs for Lee isn't out of the question in 2018 but that has more to do with other teams in the district graduating a bunch than Lee being so great. 

Joe Dreenon - Racked up 75 wins at Mineola in 9 seasons, 40 of them came the last two seasons he was there. Played for 2 state titles winning 1 of them. Goes to Hallsville this past year...they just went 1-9 which was their worst season in 15+ years. Guess we'll see how year 2 goes...but I doubt it'll be any different. 

Bob Shipley - one of the most storied coaches out there. He was amazing at small schools like Burnet and Brownwood. Led Burnet to state twice in the early 2000's and racked up a 38-14 record at Brownwood from 09 to 12. Amazing success at the small school level, not as much success at Belton and Coppell though. I mean, i guess Coppell was 'okay'. But certainly not Brownwood or Burnet. He went 15-7 there. Still, he wasn't doing what Joe McBride (50-10 at Coppell) did there. Shipley's most recent stop at Belton was definitely not Burnet or Brownwood. He finished 19-26 at Belton....

Thomas Sitton - The man responsible for Chapel Hill's greatness early 2010's. Won a ship in 2011 and played for another the year before. Chapel Hill was playing some very good defense during his time there, which is why 6A Converse Judson gave him a shot to be defensive coordinator there this season. I know what you are thinking, yes Judson did well this season, but it wasn't exactly because of defense. Judson's defense struggled so badly against good teams this past year that many Rocket fans on other boards are already wanting Sitton gone as defensive coordinator. By the way, during Chapel Hill's title/playoff runs, CH's OC was Chris Taber. Taber went on to 5A Jacksonville to be HC from 2012 to 2014. He went 8-23 at Jacksonville..

Rick Rhoades - Former Cameron Yoe HC who led the Yoe to 3 state championships in 7 seasons. Rhoades is definitely the biggest name on this list. He left Yoe for 5A Gregory Portland in 2016. Hasn't really translated well either. He's 11-9 at GP with zero playoff appearances. He went 82-17 at Yoe...

Brady Pennington - Former Van HC who did very well there. He went 62-26 at Van. He's 34-41 so far at 5A New Caney..

That's 9 coaches off the top of my head alone and these are just recent. I could go on forever  but no time to go through each and every single coach coordinator/HC in every corner of the state. Best advice is to pay more attention. 

Are there small school coaches who come to 5A/6A and do well? Yeah, not nearly as much as vice versa but there are a few. But more times than not, they don't have the same success in the larger classification that they had in the smaller class. History proves it. BOOM.

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Tyler Lee, Pine Tree, Hallsville, new caney.  Nobody does well at those places. History proves it BOOM.  Coppell has had success and Shipley left Coppell to go to Brownwood  if I remember correctly.   And some of those guys u listed went as coordinators.  You don’t know if they had full reigns on their side of the ball ir if the HC called plays.

Some boom moment you came up with, more like a wet black cat firecracker.  

Totally predictable reply from the small school retards debunking facts. lol these crazy excuses for why these coaches did nothing at these places are funny.

"I'm so shocked"

When talking a small school coach jumping to higher level one can not leave out Lovie Smith

From an assistant coach at Big Sandy (if that an't small school) to coaching in the Super Bowl, over 10 years in Pro and college.

but did he skip over 5 & 6 A, that has got to be the toughest of all? It has been said that they don't even know how to run a washing machine.

Probably the reason they don't change the sheets.  3A and down ADs at some time have had to run the Washing Machine.