Can a small school coach make the jump to a big school?

Mr. P

Just now, BulldogBacker12 said:

i definelty think demographics and social disparity play a big part in why ETX "big schools" don't win championship. 

Obviously not.

You just discredited the whole social disparity thing a few posts above.

You have no clue.

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

You know, it’s what east Texas big schools do

Yeah, they never just lose to better nationally ranked teams full of nationally ranked players. 

Everytime they lose, they were outcoached or the other team simply shouldn't have won. Every single time.

Yeah that's it. lol

Your opinions aren't really valuable when you all aren't the ones facing these suburban juggernauts every year. 

Silsbee ain't Klein Collins.

7 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Ok brother. Well then don't comment on what you don't know.

Crazy thing is, I know way more than you ever will and watch way more football than you do.

That's evident by this thread. 

• LOL! 1

3 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Yeah, they never just lose to better nationally ranked teams full of nationally ranked players. 

Everytime they lose, they were outcoached or the other team simply shouldn't have won. Every single time.

Yeah that's it. lol

Your opinions aren't really valuable when you all aren't the ones facing these suburban juggernauts every year. 

Does a school like Longview buy new sheets every fall or do the stains not bother them

3 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Well yeah. You know nothing outside of Carthage, literally.

And that's sad. 

God it would be funny to meet in real life. I think you might be shocked at some of the people you meet. Yea ok bud. Nothing outside of Carthage. Ok. You have shown that you are a clown. Will this hurt your rep on the 6a board? Lol.

On 2/19/2018 at 8:37 AM, Mavchamp said:

If you are referring to MISD passing on Waskom's coach.... the district made the right choice passing on him.

Look no further than Hallsville to see how small school coaches fair when they move to larger schools.  There's a LONG list that shows the same story.

Winning at the 2A level is not the same as winning at the 5A level.  The formula is different and it doesn't translate across classifications.    

How many times have we seen it statewide???  Coaches win big in the lower classification and then get drilled at the 5A or 6A level.

MISD took and chance.....we may get burned on it.  Maybe we won't.  Time will tell.

It worked out pretty good for Art Briles being a small school coach. Dick Winder,  Chad Morris, I could go on, but you make assumptions about a guy after one year.  Plenty of Big school coaches have failed at smaller schools, some had  success. So it is with small school coaches going to bigger schools.  Shoot Mike Holgram of NFL coaching fame could not win a game as a high-school coach, but wins the superbowl as a coach. 
But like you said time will tell on all hires, inside and outside of coaching,  and what works in one place may not work in another.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Yeah that's it. lol

I’d like to ask you this.  Do you think Longview is always the underdawg?  Longview has had talent for years.  I’d venture to say they have as much talent as most programs in their classification.  With the right coach in place there’s no reason for them not to have won at least one state title.  Do you think Carthage just started having talent?  No they’ve had it for years.  It just took the right ciach to come in and put the program on the right track.  You can have a coach that does pretty good for a long time but the programs ceiling is just lower than it should be.  That’s where Carthage was with sleepy, then the right coach comes in and wakes up the program.  That’s where Longview sits right now imo.  They are a solid program, but lose games they shouldn’t in the playoffs.  I think a change is needed or you’ll keep on with the status quo

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I’d like to ask you this.  Do you think Longview is always the underdawg?  Longview has had talent for years.  I’d venture to say they have as much talent as most programs in their classification.  With the right coach in place there’s no reason for them not to have won at least one state title.  Do you think Carthage just started having talent?  No they’ve had it for years.  It just took the right ciach to come in and put the program on the right track.  You can have a coach that does pretty good for a long time but the programs ceiling is just lower than it should be.  That’s where Carthage was with sleepy, then the right coach comes in and wakes up the program.  That’s where Longview sits right now imo.  They are a solid program, but lose games they shouldn’t in the playoffs.  I think a change is needed or you’ll keep on with the status quo

100% fact, great post.

Carthage was where Longview is now with King. Once a quality coach in Sleepy Reynolds retired and we eventually got Surratt the program took off. I’d say Reynolds had just as much talent or more talent than Surratt has had. 

I’ve believed for several years Longview needs a change at HC. I do think King is a good coach I just don’t think he’ll ever win a championship.