Best Rivalry Games

88YoePride

I remember a day when the Gilmer and Gladewater had a very heated rivalry.  Those days have seemingly passed us by.  It's still a natural rivalry with both schools being orange and black, being GHS, similar in size, and only about 13 miles apart.  Daingerfield also used to be good rival to Gilmer.   Those schools have gotten smaller while Gilmer has stayed about the same size.  With that, and the fact that Gilmer has dominated both in recent years takes some of the heat away from the rivalries.

A new rivalry that's starting is with Carthage.  Both teams are contenders every year, similar in size, and always state ranked, so it's a natural rivalry.  We just haven't been playing each other long enough, though. 

Battle for the crossroads of texas or the robertson county showdown between Franklin and Hearne use to be a big rivalry game but franklin has not lost to hearne in 11 years in football and the rivalry lost some of its swagger... But with hearne making the playoffs last year and winning its first district championship in over 20 years i think it could bring the spark back to the rivalry game... Franklin hasn't played hearne in the last two years but both sides have agreed to make the games happen again and trash talk has started and it started at the end of the regular season this last year.... glad to have a rivalry game back on the schedule again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKA said:

I'd like to develop a rivalry with DeSoto, to be played annually each December.  ;) 

Those two games we had against them early in the 2010s had more intensity and passion than we've seen in almost every Longview/Marshall game of the past two decades lol.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Those two games we had against them early in the 2010s had more intensity and passion than we've seen in almost every Longview/Marshall game of the past two decades lol.

I think we're a good match, frankly. A lot of similarities...  even in dysfunction. :woot: 

• LOL! 1

5 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

I remember a day when the Gilmer and Gladewater had a very heated rivalry.  Those days have seemingly passed us by.  It's still a natural rivalry with both schools being orange and black, being GHS, similar in size, and only about 13 miles apart.  Daingerfield also used to be good rival to Gilmer.   Those schools have gotten smaller while Gilmer has stayed about the same size.  With that, and the fact that Gilmer has dominated both in recent years takes some of the heat away from the rivalries.

A new rivalry that's starting is with Carthage.  Both teams are contenders every year, similar in size, and always state ranked, so it's a natural rivalry.  We just haven't been playing each other long enough, though. 

I can assure you it is still very heated!!! Yes, it's been lopsided, but still a great rivalry. I'm still upset we aren't playing next season.

22 minutes ago, KilgoreFan said:

Elkhart - Grapeland is a pretty great rivalry game. I believe they have been playing each other since the 30s? Lots of burned fields and hatred in that one.

Played no more...

More Grapeland-Lovelady and Elkhart-Westwood

9 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lufkin will be our main rivalry for the foreseeable future, unless one of us just completely drops off the face of the planet. Even then, just one big game would bring that passion back.

Marshall, I have absolutely no hate for. Do I get annoyed by some of their fans here and there? Sure. But I cheer for them whenever we aren't playing. I hate Mesquite Horn more than I hate Marshall.

They're two football classes below us now, I just don't see them as a threat to anything we do football wise. And they shouldn't see us as one. We've had one significant game between us since 1993. That's one meeting in 25 years that had any type of real significance. I know some Mav/Lobo fans will scream about 1998, but literally neither team made the playoffs that season. At least in 1993, it decided a district championship.

John Tyler is a bigger rivalry. We've had 18 district championship games between us in our history.
Lufkin is a bigger rivalry. We've had 10 playoff games between us plus 6 district championship games.
Mesquite Horn and Rockwall are way bigger targets for us these days than Marshall has been in nearly 30 years.

I wish nothing but the best for the Mavs. I can't even come close to saying that for JT or Lp.

I just don't see either school stopping this game though. Means to much to both towns to just do away with it now. Can't stand Longview the week we are playing them but after that I'm all for Longview. Hopefully some Longview fans feel the same way about Marshall 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lufkin will be our main rivalry for the foreseeable future, unless one of us just completely drops off the face of the planet. Even then, just one big game would bring that passion back.

Marshall, I have absolutely no hate for. Do I get annoyed by some of their fans here and there? Sure. But I cheer for them whenever we aren't playing. I hate Mesquite Horn more than I hate Marshall.

They're two football classes below us now, I just don't see them as a threat to anything we do football wise. And they shouldn't see us as one. We've had one significant game between us since 1993. That's one meeting in 25 years that had any type of real significance. I know some Mav/Lobo fans will scream about 1998, but literally neither team made the playoffs that season. At least in 1993, it decided a district championship.

John Tyler is a bigger rivalry. We've had 18 district championship games between us in our history.
Lufkin is a bigger rivalry. We've had 10 playoff games between us plus 6 district championship games.
Mesquite Horn and Rockwall are way bigger targets for us these days than Marshall has been in nearly 30 years.

I wish nothing but the best for the Mavs. I can't even come close to saying that for JT or Lp.

We all may be tired of playing each other lol, but not sure which two programs and rivalries could compare to ours. I honestly believe that our rivalry with the Lobos is the best in the pines and probably the best in the state right now, considering the history/hate between both programs and towns. Especially after the playoff game last season. It’s not just about the amount of times we’ve played against each other too......several of these games have actually mattered and were very competitive. Other than a few times that I’ve been watching, you really don’t go into this game knowing that the other team doesn’t have a chance of winning it. Lobos are definitely our top rival. JT  imo would be a close second. I Don’t consider anyone else our rivals. Maybe the Woodlands....we’re 6-6 against each other in district. But some of those games......yea lol. 

21 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

So what bout that one school that beat y'all twice in like 25 years...... Honestly I wonder how much more of it's a Rivalry

Marshall vs Longview 

Or Lufkin against you know. 

Granted Marshall been playing Longview longer so that may play a part. 

I know not of who you speak of........however if you’re referring to that school to the north of us on 59, then I refuse to acknowledge them as our rivals. Playing a school for a hundred years doesn’t mean anything if they’ve only won like 20 games in the series. Location and the size of both schools are the only reason we still play them. The hate is definitely there, but it’s not a rivalry. Tell them to win twenty games in a row and then get back to me. 

5 hours ago, Lion70 said:

It be far more interesting when both are somewhat equal or at least the victor is in doubt. It's usually Gilmer great and GW is ok ( but not a threat) or not competitive at all. I agree it's a shame they didn't schedule a non District game especially since everyone already knew GW was dropping. 

You can see it that way if you look at it from the lens of the last 15 years, although there have been some games in that time period that were close and the Bears could have or should have won.  This rivalry goes back a whole lot longer than 15 years. Rivalry to me looks at the whole and that is a different story than these last 15 years. To me any game with Gilmer is heated and a game we would rather win than any other. Not sure how the Buckeye fans feel but I would venture to guess that if you ask them if losing to Gladewater made them mad and upset and they said no, they would be lying. 

7 hours ago, Lion70 said:

So what bout that one school that beat y'all twice in like 25 years...... Honestly I wonder how much more of it's a Rivalry

Marshall vs Longview 

Or Lufkin against you know. 

Granted Marshall been playing Longview longer so that may play a part. 

Fact is, as 007 said, for a rivalry to stay a rivalry (IMO) it needs to have games that mean something.

Longview and Marshall will be playing for the 109th time this upcoming season. Out of those 109, only 9 games have had any impact on a district championship. Yes some have decided playoff spots (the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Marshall beating Longview in 1995, 15-9, to keep us out of the post season). But it just doesn't add up when comparing the rivalries against Lufkin and John Tyler. John Tyler, we've had 18 direct games associated with a district championship. Lufkin, we only have 6 district title games with but we also have 10 playoff games against them.

I have no doubt that older generations still view Marshall as a big rival. The 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and even some of the 90s, were just a different time than what we're going through right now with both programs.

2015 for the Marshall/Longview series is an anomaly now (just as it has been for the Lufkin/Naco rivalry). Where as this past post season for Longview/Lufkin has literally happened 4 times in the last 15 years.

Since 1969, we're 40-9 against the Mavs. In the same time span, we're 29-24-2 against Lufkin. It's just not a comparison, and honestly (as 007 said again) you'd be hard pressed to find a better rivalry in the state right now.

4 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

You can see it that way if you look at it from the lens of the last 15 years, although there have been some games in that time period that were close and the Bears could have or should have won.  This rivalry goes back a whole lot longer than 15 years. Rivalry to me looks at the whole and that is a different story than these last 15 years. To me any game with Gilmer is heated and a game we would rather win than any other. Not sure how the Buckeye fans feel but I would venture to guess that if you ask them if losing to Gladewater made them mad and upset and they said no, they would be lying. 

Tell it, Sista!

On 2/28/2018 at 9:17 AM, ANTI said:

I approve of this message.

Longview-Marshall only gets the pub that it does because of longevity and crowd draw. But on the football field...my lord, that isn't a rivalry at all.

At least not on the level of Longview-Lufkin and Longview-JT.

I think Marshall's #1 rival these days is actually Hallsville.

Ask Marshall fans how much they get pumped for Hallsville...  guarantee you that game means more to Hallsville than it does to Marshall and it shows on the field most years 

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Ask Marshall fans how much they get pumped for Hallsville...  guarantee you that game means more to Hallsville than it does to Marshall and it shows on the field most years 

So Texas High?