Best Rivalry Games

88YoePride

4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

So Texas High? 

All I am saying is that Marshall is to Hallsville what Longview is to Marshall.

especially since we are no longer in the same district or classification as Longview the meaning of the game has diminished for Longview... but Marshall still gets pumped for that game.  

However with the new split, I wonder at what point Longview breaks this one off... 6A D2 numbers are starting to show most years

On 2/27/2018 at 9:49 AM, KirtFalcon said:

Looking forward to the Garrison vs Timpson rivalry to start up again ....

That game should have never not been off the schedule. It would be like EF and Waskom not playing each other. 

1 hour ago, Wild74 said:

That game should have never not been on the schedule. It would be like EF and Waskom not playing each other. 

We haven't played each other in 6 years .... Timpson and Alto traditionally have been our biggest rivals over the years ...

Tbh..... it wouldn’t hurt my feelings to let the Longview game go as things stand now. 

If we could at least make the game competitive every year..... I’d want to continue it.... even if it were a loss.  

But fact is.....  we don’t have the numbers to compete against Longview. 

Look what Longview has done to Marshall, Texas High, Hallsville, SS (even when they won state) in the last decade.  Domination is what it’s been.  

There’s a reason UIL classifies schools.  Numbers don’t lie. And numbers show Longview has about 800 more than us. 

Either make it competitive and make them sweat for the win.... or it’s time to move on. 

JMHO. . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2018 at 8:25 PM, Golfingnut said:

Haha, +100000

Well our rivalry will be on hold.  I will let you guys guess which coach was ducking out, but one wanted the game to happen and the other  ,not so much between Gilmer & Gwater.  Just another reason I don’t like Gwater.  If I had only beaten someone once in 22 or 23 years and that one win was in 2001 in overtime I wouldn’t want to play either.  I will just come out and say it them Bears are yellow.

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, BuckNut said:

Well our rivalry will be on hold.  I will let you guys guess which coach was ducking out, but one wanted the game to happen and the other  ,not so much between Gilmer & Gwater.  Just another reason I don’t like Gwater.  If I had only beaten someone once in 22 or 23 years and that one win was in 2001 in overtime I wouldn’t want to play either.  I will just come out and say it them Bears are yellow.

Actually, I know exactly the reason, and you are not even close to the truth!!! You keep believing what you want so you can sleep at night. smh

• Thumbs Down 1

11 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Tell us why Gilmer & Gladewater are not playing , many people in Gilmer want to know.  They will really want to know as they drive so far to all their games next year.  Please enlighten the Gilmer folks.

I thought you already knew the reason!!! You see, you can't even keep up with your own lie. 

2 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Reason is Gwater doesn’t want to play is what I think, but maybe you can set us Gilmer folks straight.

Thinking doesn't make it so and nothing I say will change what you think. Like I said, if it makes you feel better about yourself, think what you want, but before you post something as fact, you might want to try getting the truth or even try using a little common sense. Of course you would have to have some. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I haven't seen the numbers on the all-timel series totals against Timpson or Alto lately, but they are both pretty lopsided in Garrison's favor ...

Waskom had a big edge until EF won 19 out of 20 starting in 94 

2 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

Waskom had a big edge until EF won 19 out of 20 starting in 94 

I remember Waskom beat EF pretty bad Brad's senior year ... something like 45 - 7 ... I can't remember if that was maybe 93?????

Garrison beat Diboll 18 games in a row ... I think we are 18-1 or something like that all time against them ...

I think Cushion has only beaten Garrison like once in all the years we played them ....

Edited by KirtFalcon

33 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Garrison beat Diboll 18 games in a row ... I think we are 18-1 or something like that all time against them ...

I think Cushion has only beaten Garrison like once in all the years we played them ....

Poor ole Cushing, they have had a rough go of it in football, they do have a nice basketball arena now

On 2/27/2018 at 8:11 PM, Lion70 said:

Carlise vs Overton gotta be a big one they once barred the fans from attending a game . I believe it was soccer or something. Troup vs Arp apparently the elders back in the day weren't very creative in picking uniforms/mascot s. I wonder which school copyied whom. Texas high vs Arkansas is cool cause they share a border. I think Tenaha should play that Logansport ( I believe those are the  schools)and the same effect. 

Logansport can’t play Texas schools. Technically, they can, but the Louisiana playoff system is based on “power points”, meaning you get points based on who you play and where they’re ranked. You get no points for for playing out of state. A game against a Texas team would be like they didn’t play anyone. Logansport’s coach is a friend of mine, and he would love to play Tenaha and Joaquin every year, but it would kill them on their playoff seeding. 

13 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Logansport can’t play Texas schools. Technically, they can, but the Louisiana playoff system is based on “power points”, meaning you get points based on who you play and where they’re ranked. You get no points for for playing out of state. A game against a Texas team would be like they didn’t play anyone. Logansport’s coach is a friend of mine, and he would love to play Tenaha and Joaquin every year, but it would kill them on their playoff seeding. 

There’s no way that’s right. 

Why on earth would Evangel play out of state schools? Why would Ruston agree to play us this season? Why would West Monroe and numerous other Shreveport/New Orleans teams play Texas and other out of state schools every season? Heck John Curtis and Evangel both primarily play out of state non district schedules now.

It is based on a points system, but out of state schools do count for something. 

Edit: Best explanation I can find on it - https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/more-sports/lhsaa-power-point-explanation/23060441/

Which has 10 points for a win plus a strength of schedule (however many wins all the teams you’ve faced has).

14 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I haven't seen the numbers on the all-timel series totals against Timpson or Alto lately, but they are both pretty lopsided in Garrison's favor ...

After reading your post, I was curious about the series between Alto and Garrison so I did a little research; this is what I found:  Alto leads the series at 15-14-1 per http://lsfn.net/team.asp?T=835&B=1027&REC=15-14-1&S=.  Check out this website; it's very informative and interesting!  I know that it's been a battle over the years between the two schools.......actually since 1955!  I always enjoy playing Garrison and I think it will be even more intense with Garrison's realignment back to 2A.  Glad you all are still on our schedule so that continues even being in separate districts.  Wish we could get the Alto-Groveton rivalry back up and going.  Now that was fierce!

18 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

After reading your post, I was curious about the series between Alto and Garrison so I did a little research; this is what I found:  Alto leads the series at 15-14-1 per http://lsfn.net/team.asp?T=835&B=1027&REC=15-14-1&S=.  Check out this website; it's very informative and interesting!  I know that it's been a battle over the years between the two schools.......actually since 1955!  I always enjoy playing Garrison and I think it will be even more intense with Garrison's realignment back to 2A.  Glad you all are still on our schedule so that continues even being in separate districts.  Wish we could get the Alto-Groveton rivalry back up and going.  Now that was fierce!

I got this from Joe Lee Smith's Texas High School Football History ... I don't know how current it is ... Garrison ranks #30 all-time as the winningest HS team in Texas across all classifications .... Alto comes in at #104 all time ....

This is from 1955 through 1998 ... 

1999 through 2017  Garrison leads 7-3

So overall Garrison leads the series 23 - 19 - 2 ... if I added it up correctly ...

GARRISON vs. Alto: 16-16-2

19 - 1955 - 15
13 - 1956 - 6
12 - 1957 - 6
0 - 1958 - 20
14 - 1959 - 40
6 - 1960 - 28
8 - 1961 - 0
12 - 1962 - 8
6 - 1963 - 40
12 - 1964 - 14
6 - 1965 - 6