Best Rivalry Games

88YoePride

I stand corrected.  Actually, that website stands to be corrected!  lol After further inspection, there are some definite gaps!  The '67 through '77 seasons aren't even listed, and also missing are '86, '87, and '88.  So I believe you are correct with 23-19-2 Garrison.  Not all that "lopsided" but the Bulldogs currently have the edge.  Hoping the Jackets can catch up soon!

This per https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/won-loss_records.html: (I think this is through 2016)

ALTO

ALL-TIME RECORD:         571-364-34          37-25-2
Playoff Record: 52-35-1
Undefeated Seasons: 10                      Winless Seasons: 3 
Consecutive District Championships: 7 (1992-98)
10-Win Seasons: 17

GARRISON

ALL-TIME RECORD:    521-265-13               37-25-1
Undefeated Seasons: 8           Winless Seasons: 0
10-Win Seasons: 16
Playoff Record: 49-34-1

6 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

I stand corrected.  Actually, that website stands to be corrected!  lol After further inspection, there are some definite gaps!  The '67 through '77 seasons aren't even listed, and also missing are '86, '87, and '88.  So I believe you are correct with 23-19-2 Garrison.  Not all that "lopsided" but the Bulldogs currently have the edge.  Hoping the Jackets can catch up soon!

I remember that 1970 game like it was yesterday.  It was my junior year, I was a well put together 155lbs dripping wet and played defensive back.  Early in the game our middle linebacker was injured and our HC grabbed me and told me to go in at linebacker ...  Alto had a big physical RB named Willie Mitchell ... when I moved to middle linebacker, Alto had the ball first and goal on our 5 yard line ... Alto ran Mitchell straight at me up the middle three straight plays and then tried a sweep, we took over on downs at the one yard line and managed to punt the ball out to mid field ... we hung on to win 6 - 0 .... I broke my facemask off the helmet on one side after that goal line series hitting Mitchell head up three times and had to change helmets ... I gladly went back to defensive back after that game ... :cowboy:

Edited by KirtFalcon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I remember that 1970 game like it was yesterday.  It was my junior year, I was a well put together 155lbs dripping wet and played defensive back.  Early in the game our middle linebacker was injured and or HC grabbed me and told me to go in at linebacker ...  Alto had a big physical RB named Willie Mitchell ... when I moved to middle linebacker, Alto had the ball first and goal on our 5 yard line ... Alto ran Mitchell straight at me up the middle three straight plays and then tried a sweep, we took over on downs at the one yard line and managed to punt the ball out to mid field ... we hung on to win 6 - 0 .... I broke my facemask off the helmet on one side after that goal line series hitting Mitchell head up three times and had to change helmets ... I gladly went back to defensive back after that game ... :cowboy:

That's awesome!  I wasn't born yet but sounds like a physical smash-mouth game!!!  DEFENSE!  Good memories, and thanks for sharing!

The game that stands out in my mind is the one in 1994 played in the monsoon at Bulldog Stadium when the visitors stands were on the opposite side they are now. The game was tied 0-0 at the half and it was a torrential downpour; most of the of folks had bolted for their cars (my grandmother included!).  I was a spectator and we were waiting for Alto to come out of the locker room.  Garrison was already on the field and I didn't think Coach Gamble would ever bring our boys out.  FINALLY, we could see them as they came in behind the Garrison stands and ran onto the field.  Garrison kicked off to Alto's Fred Hackney and he ran the return back for a touchdown!  PAT no good.  Alto 6, Garrison 0.  It was a defensive battle the rest of the way as both teams couldn't get much going in the muck.  Late in the 4th quarter with a minute or so left, Garrison had Alto pinned near our own goal line.  Alto QB ran it out of the back of the end zone for a Garrison safety.  Final score:  Alto 6, Garrison 2.  Another battle for the books!

5 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

After reading your post, I was curious about the series between Alto and Garrison so I did a little research; this is what I found:  Alto leads the series at 15-14-1 per http://lsfn.net/team.asp?T=835&B=1027&REC=15-14-1&S=.  Check out this website; it's very informative and interesting!  I know that it's been a battle over the years between the two schools.......actually since 1955!  I always enjoy playing Garrison and I think it will be even more intense with Garrison's realignment back to 2A.  Glad you all are still on our schedule so that continues even being in separate districts.  Wish we could get the Alto-Groveton rivalry back up and going.  Now that was fierce!

I was looking at some other stuff on the website LSFN you posted the link to.  Their date is very sketchy and incomplete, at best ... it shows Garrison is 9-0 all time against Diboll and I know we beat them 17 straight years:

GARRISON vs. Diboll: 17-2-0
7 - 1948 - 6
12 - 1949 - 0
37 - 1950 - 6
39 - 1952 - 7
52 - 1953 - 13
41 - 1954 - 0
47 - 1955 - 18
20 - 1956 - 13
42 - 1957 - 0
6 - 1958 - 0
22 - 1959 - 0
28 - 1960 - 0
22 - 1961 - 8
54 - 1962 - 6
22 - 1963 - 6
42 - 1964 - 18
3 - 1965 - 0
6 - 1974 - 27
6 - 1975 - 33

Their data also says we are 6-0 against Cushion ... we are actually 25-3-0 against them ...

Edited by KirtFalcon

27 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I was looking at some other stuff on the website LSFN you posted the link to.  Their date is very sketchy and incomplete, at best ... it shows Garrison is 9-0 all time against Diboll and I know we beat them 17 straight years:

GARRISON vs. Diboll: 17-2-0
7 - 1948 - 6
12 - 1949 - 0
37 - 1950 - 6
39 - 1952 - 7
52 - 1953 - 13
41 - 1954 - 0
47 - 1955 - 18
20 - 1956 - 13
42 - 1957 - 0
6 - 1958 - 0
22 - 1959 - 0
28 - 1960 - 0
22 - 1961 - 8
54 - 1962 - 6
22 - 1963 - 6
42 - 1964 - 18
3 - 1965 - 0
6 - 1974 - 27
6 - 1975 - 33

Their data also says we are 6-0 against Cushion ... we are actually 25-3-0 against them ...

That IS bad.  Why is that website so incomplete I wonder?  I like the layout of it but if the data is no good, then there's a problem.........especially when one is trying to argue a point! lol  Seems like it would be easy enough to get the complete information and update it.  Which website are you referencing to find the historical data you are posting?

42 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

That IS bad.  Why is that website so incomplete I wonder?  I like the layout of it but if the data is no good, then there's a problem.........especially when one is trying to argue a point! lol  Seems like it would be easy enough to get the complete information and update it.  Which website are you referencing to find the historical data you are posting?

https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/won-loss_records.html

Seems like a lot of the series information is missing.  This used to be a pay for view database.  I am not sure where it is completely housed now or who is updating it.   It's Joe Lee Smith's data ...

8 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

There’s no way that’s right. 

Why on earth would Evangel play out of state schools? Why would Ruston agree to play us this season? Why would West Monroe and numerous other Shreveport/New Orleans teams play Texas and other out of state schools every season? Heck John Curtis and Evangel both primarily play out of state non district schedules now.

It is based on a points system, but out of state schools do count for something. 

Edit: Best explanation I can find on it - https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/more-sports/lhsaa-power-point-explanation/23060441/

Which has 10 points for a win plus a strength of schedule (however many wins all the teams you’ve faced has).

It works for the big schools. The Evangels and West Monroes can do it because they’re able to make up the points they give up. A 1A like Logansport can’t make up the points they give up. It wouldn’t keep them out of the playoffs, but it would drop them down in the seeding, forcing them to travel for most playoff games. They would be giving up home field advantage, not to mention the gate and concessions for at least a couple of big games. The past two years, they’ve only had to travel twice, not counting the trip to NOLA for the state championship game in ‘16. Also, another hangup that’s keeping Logansport from scheduling us is the fact that they realign in odd years where we do it in evens. Someone would have to do a contract for two or three years. 

6 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I am surprised they actually publish these stats as bad incomplete as they are .... I have even emailed them with correct stats before ...

I actually updated Garrison as far as I could back to about 93 or 94 Pigskin has all the scores listed till that time. I went in and updated Garrison State Championship run also. There was a fellow there that did a good job updating when given the correct scores. I think he is tired now because I can't get any scores updated...lol

On 3/7/2018 at 3:43 PM, StingEmALTO said:

Have y'all contacted the admins and asked them?

8 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

yes ,,,,

Yeah, same here. I offered to update their Overton section and sent them links to @LoboFan07's ridiculously comprehensive website so they could get their Longview win-loss record fixed. 

Nothing. 

• Like 3

On 3/7/2018 at 9:38 AM, StingEmALTO said:

After reading your post, I was curious about the series between Alto and Garrison so I did a little research; this is what I found:  Alto leads the series at 15-14-1 per http://lsfn.net/team.asp?T=835&B=1027&REC=15-14-1&S=.  Check out this website; it's very informative and interesting!  I know that it's been a battle over the years between the two schools.......actually since 1955!  I always enjoy playing Garrison and I think it will be even more intense with Garrison's realignment back to 2A.  Glad you all are still on our schedule so that continues even being in separate districts.  Wish we could get the Alto-Groveton rivalry back up and going.  Now that was fierce!

Lone Star doesn't have updated comprehensive info ...