4A Region II District 16 Baseball

Crawford

Kilgore looked really solid tonight. Center had a few errors, and Kilgore jumped on them. I said before that I thought Kilgore was the better team and I still believe that after seeing both of them tonight. Center looks good, I just don’t think they’re quite up to Kilgore’s level. Argyle is looming, that could be an interesting series 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alpha99 said:

Kilgore looked really solid tonight. Center had a few errors, and Kilgore jumped on them. I said before that I thought Kilgore was the better team and I still believe that after seeing both of them tonight. Center looks good, I just don’t think they’re quite up to Kilgore’s level. Argyle is looming, that could be an interesting series 

Argyle would have PG next assuming both win their series matchups now. And PG has had Argyle's number the last few times but Kilgore can play and beat anybody if they play their gm. But Kilgore still has to beat Center one more time before they start looking ahead. Ha it's fun for the fans tho...!! 

Congrats to Kilgore in taking game 1 in a convincing manner. I don't want to make any excuses why Center lost, but I think anyone that's been following Center all season would agree that was the poorest performance the Riders left on the field. It's hard to compete and hope to have a chance to win with that many mistakes. Not to take anything away from Kilgore, because they capitalized on our mistakes, as any good team should. Smitherman was awesome, (13 SO). I know the Bulldogs are glad he's on their side. lol The kid should have a bright future. 

5 hours ago, Alpha99 said:

If/should Argyle make it to the regional finals they will be a MAJOR road block. Something like 12 D1 players on the team? Just amazing the talent they have!

I would definetly drive to watch Argyle-Kilgore with Smitherman on the mound. 

Covington didn't pitch that poorly, but Kilgore did a great job bunting and setting the table for a couple of clutch hits.  That 0-2 bases-loaded triple was a killer.

Pitch counts (110 total in a series) creates some dilemmas for coaches today that most fans don't recognize, such as:

• With Smitherman throwing lights out with a 3-0 lead, do you pull Covington off the mound after 3 innings and save him for a prolonged Game 2 or potential Game 3 appearance?  Doing so would have thrown up a white flag for Game 1 but it was obvious early on that this wasn't Center's night.  The long 4-run 4th put a damper on Center's pitching prospects for the rest of the series.
  • Do you pull Smitherman after 4 with a 7-0 lead despite having the no-hitter working?  I believe he has 13 pitches left in the series, good for maybe an inning of relief, but pulling him early could conserve maybe a 4-5 inning second appearance in the series.  It was overlooked, but the fact Center kept Kilgore off the board for the 5th and 6th innings and forced Smitherman to expend those extra pitches might prove to be a factor if Center can bounce back in Game 2.

Not second-guessing either coach, but I know those thoughts had to be in their minds.  I heard lots of Kilgore fans talking ahead to an Argyle matchup.  This series isn't over yet, and there's lots of baseball still to be played.  Plus, Argyle struggled to hold off Melissa last night, 7-5, and still has the winner of PG-Canton to face before a potential Kilgore-Argyle regional final.  Love to see Smitherman face the Argyle bats, but there's a ton of innings to go before that can happen.

6 hours ago, Parisian said:

Covington didn't pitch that poorly, but Kilgore did a great job bunting and setting the table for a couple of clutch hits.  That 0-2 bases-loaded triple was a killer.

Pitch counts (110 total in a series) creates some dilemmas for coaches today that most fans don't recognize, such as:

• With Smitherman throwing lights out with a 3-0 lead, do you pull Covington off the mound after 3 innings and save him for a prolonged Game 2 or potential Game 3 appearance?  Doing so would have thrown up a white flag for Game 1 but it was obvious early on that this wasn't Center's night.  The long 4-run 4th put a damper on Center's pitching prospects for the rest of the series.
  • Do you pull Smitherman after 4 with a 7-0 lead despite having the no-hitter working?  I believe he has 13 pitches left in the series, good for maybe an inning of relief, but pulling him early could conserve maybe a 4-5 inning second appearance in the series.  It was overlooked, but the fact Center kept Kilgore off the board for the 5th and 6th innings and forced Smitherman to expend those extra pitches might prove to be a factor if Center can bounce back in Game 2.

Not second-guessing either coach, but I know those thoughts had to be in their minds.  I heard lots of Kilgore fans talking ahead to an Argyle matchup.  This series isn't over yet, and there's lots of baseball still to be played.  Plus, Argyle struggled to hold off Melissa last night, 7-5, and still has the winner of PG-Canton to face before a potential Kilgore-Argyle regional final.  Love to see Smitherman face the Argyle bats, but there's a ton of innings to go before that can happen.

Everybody has their own philosophy when it comes to strategy for a 3-game series. Personally, I like burning the ace to guarantee the win. It also takes away any mental crutch the team might be carrying with them the rest of the series. 

Well if this Kilgore shows up the rest of the playoffs, even Argyle will struggle with them. Congrats on a dominant series Dogs. Anybody know anything about Crandall? I haven’t heard anything on them this year. 

5 minutes ago, Alpha99 said:

Well if this Kilgore shows up the rest of the playoffs, even Argyle will struggle with them. Congrats on a dominant series Dogs. Anybody know anything about Crandall? I haven’t heard anything on them this year. 

Their not as good as Center..