8 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Guys...McMahon said he won't sign anyone with a criminal record (or arrest, possibly). Meaning Manziel is out.

McMahon will own all the teams, as far as I know.

It's supposed to be a late winter, 10-week (regular season) league.

They better start after the NFL season is over, or I don't think it will work ...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

They better start after the NFL season is over, or I don't think it will work ...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what McMahon meant by "late winter." Not even McMahon is crazy enough to try to go head-to-head with the NFL...  at least, not yet.

Count me among the lunatic fringe who believes the USFL could've lasted. They just tried to do too much too soon. If the XFL avoids that error (and doesn't go all-in on pure spectacle like last time) they could make it work. The NFL ain't as bullet-proof as it used to be. If ever there was a time for another pro football league, the time is now. Even the CFL is starting to generate some heat down here. 

4 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

You don't really believe that do you? $$$ talks if your wanting to establish yourself. I don't believe that for one minute

I can see enforcing the "stand for the anthem" rule ... but excluding people like Manziel wouldn't go over very well ...

11 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Sign Manziel, Tebow, and a few other NFL cast off QBs with big names and you have the best start to a league we’ve seen in a while

I doubt Tebow would be interested ... he would be getting ready for baseball ...

Edited by KirtFalcon

8 hours ago, Matthias said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what McMahon meant by "late winter." Not even McMahon is crazy enough to try to go head-to-head with the NFL...  at least, not yet.

Count me among the lunatic fringe who believes the USFL could've lasted. They just tried to do too much too soon. If the XFL avoids that error (and doesn't go all-in on pure spectacle like last time) they could make it work. The NFL ain't as bullet-proof as it used to be. If ever there was a time for another pro football league, the time is now. Even the CFL is starting to generate some heat down here. 

I remember when the CFL tried to venture down into the U.S. You had the San Antonio Texans, The Shreveport Pirates, Memphis Mad Dogs, Birmingham Barracudas, Baltimore Stallions, Sacramento Gold Miners, and the Las Vegas Posse.  They only lasted three seasons.  I remember NBC broadcasting CFL games and that only lasted I think two years.  I didn't watch a single game.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I remember when the CFL tried to venture down into the U.S. You had the San Antonio Texans, The Shreveport Pirates, Memphis Mad Dogs, Birmingham Barracudas, Baltimore Stallions, Sacramento Gold Miners, and the Las Vegas Posse.  They only lasted three seasons.  I remember NBC broadcasting CFL games and that only lasted I think two years.  I didn't watch a single game.  

I've no doubt that CFL learned their lesson about stateside franchises. I don't recall the CFL being broadcast on NBC, though I have caught the action on ESPN a few times over the years. This year's Grey Cup was broadcast on NBC and simulcast online. The ratings were pretty high (for the CFL) and there's been talks about more CFL broadcasts on American TV and webcasts. The NFL has really soured a lot of people, and those people still want to watch football. 

23 hours ago, Matthias said:

I've no doubt that CFL learned their lesson about stateside franchises. I don't recall the CFL being broadcast on NBC, though I have caught the action on ESPN a few times over the years. This year's Grey Cup was broadcast on NBC and simulcast online. The ratings were pretty high (for the CFL) and there's been talks about more CFL broadcasts on American TV and webcasts. The NFL has really soured a lot of people, and those people still want to watch football. 

It was during the strike shortened year of 1982, so you were probably too young to remember.  I thought they tried again in the 1987 strike year, but didn't.   They tried again from 2012-2013, but only 9 games plus the playoffs according to Wikipedia.

I am telling you, the best way to make this league work is start small and work your way into the market.  A spring league is not going to change the perception and be something better than the NFL.   Spring is when the NFL starts drafting their guys...  

I would seriously find a niche... 18-27 year olds... at 27 you retire.  You need something to make these players want to skip college and come play for you for 2 years... so you will need a nice minimum contract and the best insurance  you can find a high risk employee.  You will want exposure for your players... it doesnt have to be ESPN, ABC, NBC, etc... but it needs to be a major cable network.  And for the love, have enough teams to make it interesting (8-16) but not too many to saturate the market...

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 7:36 PM, stoneykelly said:

A former Cowboys views on playing in the CFL this year. Had no idea the Canadian players are required to make more than foreign born players. That could lead to more quality players to choose the XFL instead.

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/26/victor-butler-argonauts-holding-hostage/

I just read the story, and I think if he receives an offer from the NFL he should take that offer.  He can retire from Toronto if the NFL does call.   I wouldn't do that unless I had guaranteed money that was higher than what Toronto paid him, but he could find a coaching job probably that would pay him more than in Toronto with their high taxes, plus he has to pay U.S. income taxes as he mentioned.

It reminds me of Tom Cousineau who was drafted #1 in 1979 by the Buffalo Bills and went to play in the CFL, because they offered to pay him double what the Bills offered him.  He had a two year option on his contract with the Montreal Alouettes (French for lark or a group of singers ?).  The Oilers were the first to court him, but the Bills matched their offer, and promptly traded his rights to the Browns who made him the highest paid linebacker in the strike shortened 1982 season.  Oddly enough the first round pick the Bills were given was used to select Jim Kelly who chose to play for the Houston Gamblers of the U.S.F.L. .  I wonder if Cousineau is the reason that the CFL pays Canadian players more or it could have been because of Raghib Ismael.    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am embarassed  to admit it...but I actually watched the XFL.

I think football is already at the saturation point so I dont really see a niche for another league...even a spring league. Then again...I rolled my eyes when the Arena League started so who knows...............

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article222617790.html?fbclid=IwAR0eDQZWWdVrwWyelyIX2Yr82GPdwsCIqaSZQJ3fSMeCb9-L4fxyfpsbF-w  

I couldn't believe this story when I read it, and of course I thought of one of the long time members of this site.  I haven't heard from him in 3 years, and really wonder what's happened to him.  I would go see an XFL game at the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, but I doubt it will save that place that I saw so many baseball games at.  

I know the Alliance league is gonna be a spring league. Haven’t heard about the XFL. Having a team in Dallas and Houston is pretty smart. Us Texans love our football. Hopefully they try to make it less gimmicky and more real this time around.

Both leagues will be spring leagues. It is going to be interesting to see them go head-to-head. The Alliance league actually held their inaugural draft a week or two ago. First pick overall was the QB from A&M-Commerce that is now on the Rams Practice Squad. The names behind that league are impressive...

They were never going to tear it down if I remember correctly. They were going to turn it in to offices, shops, and restaurants/bars to go along with the new Texas Live! experience. But the field was going to be untouched for the most part. I'm glad they are going to put it to use. 

I live in Dallas, and the people of Arlington do not want that Ballpark being torn down. I'm glad it's still up.

• 2 months later...
  • Mr. P changed the title to 🏉 XFL