3 minutes ago, txk85 said:

wonder what happened to Ryan Mallet being in the XFL? didn't think a DUI would deter a career in the XFL.

Not sure. I’m shocked Johnny Manziel didn’t try it. He did do the AAF. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, AKA said:

Aw hell, I'll watch it.

When it comes to football in spring, beggars can't be choosers. 

Agree I guess I will a Dallas and a Houston fan. The xfl has former NFL and executives . 8 team league with season ending in late April could work. Stoops is the HC of Dallas so I suppose might be worth of a watch. 

I'm debating about going.  I've heard parking is already going to be a mess according to the news reports I've seen.  Tickets are relatively cheap starting at $24 a game.  It's supposed to be nice again Saturday at 5  pm.  A free T-shirt from Kroger to boot for an inaugural game also seems enticing for a collector of football memorabilia.  When I lived in Alabama I saw a guy wearing a Birmingham Stallions U.S.F.L. leather jacket around 2009, and I thought wow he still has that ?  I know the first couple of games with the old XFL were somewhat exciting to watch, but then it wore off.  Decisions, decisions. 

@EnjoyLife @MeanGreenDogs64 I’ve watched the Seattle/Washington game and the Houston/LA one. I’m kinda shocked at it. It’s been pretty decent football so far. It’s not cartoony and gimmicky like the original one was. There’s not a real huge personal investment in the teams playing like if it was the Cowboys but that could come with time. I like the new kickoff. It’s a lot better than getting rid of it entirely. The QB play and the action on the field has been pretty exciting. 

• Like 1

Had too many family obligations to watch, but a few friends of mine (whose sports opinions I trust) were texting me about it. Apparently their sentiments were about the same as most of y'all. That is: while the quality of play isn't necessarily top-shelf, it ain't bad either.

One buddy (who actually had a cup of coffee in the NFL) described it as "very strong" opening weekend and, if it builds upon this momentum, believes even more castoffs will have their agents reach out to the XFL to try to get back into the League. 

I feel like if the XFL leadership doesn't make any unforced errors (and doesn't try to make the league something it could never be), it could definitely stick around. 

• Like 1

I think the XFL messed up with one major aspect, and that's not trying to sell out the stadiums completely.  I had a friend in Arlington yesterday try to buy tickets, but couldn't.  He wondered why no one was sitting in the upper tiers of the stadiums.  I heard on the radio Saturday that they only wanted to sell out the lower bowl.  This is what I would do if I were in charge of ticket sales.  I just checked their site for this Sundays game, and again they are not selling any upper level seats.  Once the lower bowl sells out they should open the upper tiers of the stadium.  Sell those tickets at around $20-50 depending on location.  Once the game starts begin dropping ticket prices by quarter for the seats that are unused.  Mark them down by increments end of 1st quarter 25% off second quarter 50% off, and finally the third quarter by 75% off.  Make some money with people in the seats.  I heard on the radio that at the concession stands for merchandise that the lines were long for gear.  Open more stands, and have more merchandise available.  

The only way the league is going to be able to stay in business is more people in the stands, buying merchandise, and buying concessions.  The owners would be able to make more money, and the more money they make will trickle down to the players in higher salaries.  The larger the fan base grows then they can then negotiate television rights.  Right now they aren't receiving any money from the networks, and that's a good deal for them the first year.  It gives the league exposure, and the networks aren't risking anything.  That's why the above has to be done.  As proven by my friend, he wanted to go, but couldn't.  I know how he drinks beer and eats, and he would have spent at least a minimum of $100 if not more.

• Like 1