The Smoakhouse Forums

The West Virginia kid who chose going in the XFL draft over transferring is a huge development for the league. If they can make this a thing it could survive.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, topher805 said:

The AAF messed up when they decided to be a stand-alone and opted to not work with the NFL and NCAA. They would have been a phenomenal developmental league, but it would have to be done in conjuncture with the NFL and NCAA. Those two have enough money to squash any type of competition. 

I don't know why the NFL doesn't try to work out some sorta deal with NCAA with an offseason developmental league centered in smaller metro areas that do not have NFL franchises. It seems like a lucrative opportunity to expand their footprint. 

DCB0B271-DDE5-4738-92BF-81AE8E3EF93E.jpeg

Texas A&M has back to back 1st round picks.

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

CE6437DD-20CC-4FD9-9099-B66AB261E864.jpeg

Somebody might wanna check on @AKA after today’s announcement. Personally, I don’t see this Jones/Stoops thing working out just like it didn’t it college. 😉

wonder what happened to Ryan Mallet being in the XFL? didn't think a DUI would deter a career in the XFL.

3 minutes ago, txk85 said:

wonder what happened to Ryan Mallet being in the XFL? didn't think a DUI would deter a career in the XFL.

Not sure. I’m shocked Johnny Manziel didn’t try it. He did do the AAF. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKA said:

Aw hell, I'll watch it.

When it comes to football in spring, beggars can't be choosers. 

Agree I guess I will a Dallas and a Houston fan. The xfl has former NFL and executives . 8 team league with season ending in late April could work. Stoops is the HC of Dallas so I suppose might be worth of a watch. 

11 minutes ago, AKA said:

Aw hell, I'll watch it.

When it comes to football in spring, beggars can't be choosers. 

I'll be on the golf course........

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

I'll be on the golf course........

I'll be in Nac watching SFA/New Orleans, but very tempting to go watch the Roughnecks

• Like 1

I'm debating about going.  I've heard parking is already going to be a mess according to the news reports I've seen.  Tickets are relatively cheap starting at $24 a game.  It's supposed to be nice again Saturday at 5  pm.  A free T-shirt from Kroger to boot for an inaugural game also seems enticing for a collector of football memorabilia.  When I lived in Alabama I saw a guy wearing a Birmingham Stallions U.S.F.L. leather jacket around 2009, and I thought wow he still has that ?  I know the first couple of games with the old XFL were somewhat exciting to watch, but then it wore off.  Decisions, decisions. 

Not sure how the DC Defenders are a 7 1/2 pt favorite when neither team has ever played a game.

I like Seattles unis. DC...not so much. Thumbs up for the 25 second play clock. Thumbs down for the weird kickoff.

1 hour ago, EnjoyLife said:

Looks like Im the only one watching lol.

I'm watching. It's not too terrible 

• Like 1

@EnjoyLife @MeanGreenDogs64 I’ve watched the Seattle/Washington game and the Houston/LA one. I’m kinda shocked at it. It’s been pretty decent football so far. It’s not cartoony and gimmicky like the original one was. There’s not a real huge personal investment in the teams playing like if it was the Cowboys but that could come with time. I like the new kickoff. It’s a lot better than getting rid of it entirely. The QB play and the action on the field has been pretty exciting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

NFL needs to adopt the XFLs format for extra pts.

It’s a little weird at first but when you get used to it it’s kinda cool. 

3 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

Looks like Im the only one watching lol.

I was watching until one of them Honey Do lists showed up lol.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

I like Seattles unis. DC...not so much. Thumbs up for the 25 second play clock. Thumbs down for the weird kickoff.

Kickoffs are great. 

• Like 1

I liked it. Hated missing the Houston game. Was planning in taking my kid, but we went to Nac instead for SFA basketball

Had too many family obligations to watch, but a few friends of mine (whose sports opinions I trust) were texting me about it. Apparently their sentiments were about the same as most of y'all. That is: while the quality of play isn't necessarily top-shelf, it ain't bad either.

One buddy (who actually had a cup of coffee in the NFL) described it as "very strong" opening weekend and, if it builds upon this momentum, believes even more castoffs will have their agents reach out to the XFL to try to get back into the League. 

I feel like if the XFL leadership doesn't make any unforced errors (and doesn't try to make the league something it could never be), it could definitely stick around. 

• Like 1