10 reasons kids quit sports

MrBuddyGarrity

I think most kids play sports, because they love competition.  I don't remember many kids being forced to play when I was growing up. Most of them quit, because they weren't very good and were on the bench for most of the games.  I've already explained why I quit my senior year.  I've basically retired from playing any sports today at almost the age of 50.  I got tired of nursing pulled muscles, and other potential injuries, because I always wanted to play at the highest level I could.  

This may be reason#11. AAU coach put all 10 of his players on the floor at tip off. The ref' told him that 5 needed to get off the court. He didn't and received a 'T'. He then turned to the parents behind the bench and said "See, I told you that they all Couldn't start!" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

On 3/21/2018 at 8:01 PM, KirtFalcon said:

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't play football.   It really took a toll on me physically that is catching up with me as I get older ... I would focus on baseball, track and golf ....

Not me I'd do it all over again, but I would have put more work in at the gym and worked on my speed more.  I had too much on my plate to do it though with church activities on almost a daily basis, and playing sports with friends after school.  I loved playing football, then baseball, and finally basketball.  

22 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

Not me I'd do it all over again, but I would have put more work in at the gym and worked on my speed more.  I had too much on my plate to do it though with church activities on almost a daily basis, and playing sports with friends after school.  I loved playing football, then baseball, and finally basketball.  

I really enjoyed football and had a lot of success playing, played offense and defense and returned kicks ...  had over 1,000 yards rushing my senior year ... but four neck/spine surgeries and a shoulder surgery, two compression fractures in my neck/spine, a handful of screws and two metal plates and about a dozen spinal injections later I don't know if it was worth it .... have chronic arthritis in my shoulders and hips as well ... I was very busy too growing up on the farm and played football, baseball, pole vaulter during track ... didn't play basketball ... no, I think I would skip football if I had to do it all over again ... wish I had concentrated on golf and baseball more, probably could have played at the college level ...

Edited by KirtFalcon

23 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I really enjoyed football and had a lot of success playing, played offense and defense and returned kicks ...  had over 1,000 yards rushing my senior year ... but four neck/spine surgeries and a shoulder surgery, two compression fractures in my neck/spine, a handful of screws and two metal plates and about a dozen spinal injections later I don't know if it was worth it .... have chronic arthritis in my shoulders and hips as well ... I was very busy too growing up on the farm and played football, baseball, pole vaulter during track ... didn't play basketball ... no, I think I would skip football if I had to do it all over again ... wish I had concentrated on golf and baseball more, probably could have played at the college level ...

That's because your generation played with leather helmets and no facemasks. 

• LOL! 3

11 hours ago, ALLSPORTFAN said:

That’s usually an excuse for someone who wasn’t very good!!!!

When the kid's coach is starting his son, and he's not very good many quit.  Look at the L.A. Clippers many wanted to leave, because of Austin Rivers playing time since his Daddy is the coach.  It's not just High School to the earliest Little League.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

When the kid's coach is starting his son, and he's not very good many quit.  Look at the L.A. Clippers many wanted to leave, because of Austin Rivers playing time since his Daddy is the coach.  It's not just High School to the earliest Little League.  

Kids are more honest than their parents about who's the better ball player. I found there is 2 ways for a coach to keep his job. You either win so much they can't run you off or you play the "right kids". Since the 4 teams make the playoffs it' not hard to do both. It' hard to run a coach that comes in 4th every year and makes the playoffs. Unless of course you coach at WOS.

40 minutes ago, fergton said:

Kids are more honest than their parents about who's the better ball player. I found there is 2 ways for a coach to keep his job. You either win so much they can't run you off or you play the "right kids". Since the 4 teams make the playoffs it' not hard to do both. It' hard to run a coach that comes in 4th every year and makes the playoffs. Unless of course you coach at WOS.

I agree, I never minded sitting on the bench in baseball or basketball or standing on the sidelines playing football if another player was better or even had the same skills that I did.  I wanted the team to win.  I even asked on my 8th grade team to be taken off special teams or at least given a breather every now and then, because I was playing every down and every second of the game.  I gave 100% every play, but I knew I wasn't 100% on some plays, because of numerous reasons.  I just wanted a breather to be 100% on every down I played.  Once the fourth quarter came,  I couldn't do that.  You know who the good athletes are,  and when a coaches son is being played and your not winning that's when you want to leave the team.  In School or in many Little League teams you don't have that option. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 7:19 PM, KirtFalcon said:

you could have had a farming accident that killed you, or you could have died in car wreck going home from school instead of practice that mangled your body also. so  to what if things is not wise, and your a wise man. 

Reason#12  No parents in stands to support them. I had 5 boys and one of us was there at 99% of their events. We had some very talented sons and some not talented but a parent was there. I told them we'll be their if your playing titily winks. Hated watching track or soccer. One son was told by his coach it would take him all day to run out of sight. How many us had to take the same kids home after an event? Sad.

3 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Reason #1 - For not starting Sports

Lack of parental involvement in their kids lives. Too many absentee parents and the ones that are involved work too many hours to take part.

Kids are raised by the TV, the computer and Video games (see Fortnite).

Agreed 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fergton said:

Reason#12  No parents in stands to support them. I had 5 boys and one of us was there at 99% of their events. We had some very talented sons and some not talented but a parent was there. I told them we'll be their if your playing titily winks. Hated watching track or soccer. One son was told by his coach it would take him all day to run out of sight. How many us had to take the same kids home after an event? Sad.

It never bothered me if my parents weren't in the stands.  I played because of my love of the games.  I don't remember my Daddy ever coming to games, except on Saturday because of his work schedule until  he retired.  Then he did, but my Momma did.  They never went to any away games that were out of town.  He did come to All Star games and all my pee wee football games.  I don't think either of them ever watched me play a school basketball game, and I was a starter until my Freshman year.  So I'm not buying that.  If a kid loves the sport they don't care if no one is in the stands.  You just want to play.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

It never bothered me if my parents weren't in the stands.  I played because of my love of the games.  I don't remember my Daddy ever coming to games, except on Saturday because of his work schedule until  he retired.  Then he did, but my Momma did.  They never went to any away games that were out of town.  He did come to All Star games and all my pee wee football games.  I don't think either of them ever watched me play a school basketball game, and I was a starter until my Freshman year.  So I'm not buying that.  If a kid loves the sport they don't care if no one is in the stands.  You just want to play.  

Ok. Just guessing but I would think you were the exception instead of the rule.I can't  imagine a kid not caring if anybody was in the stands to watch them play but I'm 66 yrs old and i now know one. Hope you will try your best to be at all your kids school events not just sports whenever possible. Just my opinion and I know what I can do with that. Have a day!

14 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

My dad's attitude toward my playing sports was at best uninterested.  He thought it was a waste of time that I could be doing something more productive.  He never told me I couldn't participate, but he didn't encourage it either.  He only came to one home football game a year when it was "Dad's Night" and he wore my jersey ... it did bother me some that most of my friends on the team had their parents at all the games ... he never asked me anything about any of the games ... he was just concerned with my safety when I came home "banged up" once in a while ... I did have plenty of other relatives cheering me on .... 

I never missed any of my sons games except for missing my youngest son's entire senior football season while I was in the Middle East during the gulf war.  The Waskom coach did send me all the game films to watch ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Football was very good to me.

Paid for all my college.

I wasnt the biggest or fastest. Broke a leg, hand, dislocated fingers, and one concussion.

Would do it all over again!!!

It taught me discipline(along with my parents and brother), hard work, dedication, toughness and committment. These are qualities most of the young kids today run from. 

The decline in football is due to parents not letting kids grow up, giving them everything(or no support) and not making their child respect people, coaches, teachers, elders, or life.

Football today, jr. high, high school, college or NFL, is weaker due to poor attitudes and lack of committment. Too worried about injuries, concussions, and not always being the starter.

The great game of football is just a shell of what it was.

SAD!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fergton said:

Ok. Just guessing but I would think you were the exception instead of the rule.I can't  imagine a kid not caring if anybody was in the stands to watch them play but I'm 66 yrs old and i now know one. Hope you will try your best to be at all your kids school events not just sports whenever possible. Just my opinion and I know what I can do with that. Have a day!

When we played sandlot baseball, football, and basketball we didn't care.  We were doing it for fun.  I remember some church basketball games were no one was in the stands.  One time even the opposing team didn't show up, so we had practice instead in Gilmer.  I know it was on a school night, and maybe some of their players had a school basketball game that night.  I didn't care if they forfeited, because we got the W.