Anything interesting you're reading right now?

Monte1076

I recently finished "The Prince", and I'm currently reading a book on applying Computer Algorithms to your daily life. The book is "Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions".

In my queue, I have "Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C", as well as "Song Starters: 365 Lyric, Melody, & Chord Ideas to Kickstart Your Songwriting".

Within the last year, I've also read "Zero to One", and I need to finish "How to Build a Billion Dollar App".

You'll have to bear with me, I've got a weird kind of ADD which means that I'm usually reading 6-7 different books at any given time.  Here's what I'm in the middle of right now:

Whiplash: How to Survive Our Faster Future (Joi Ito

Gulag Archipelago (Aleksander Solzhenitsyn)

We Were Eight Years in Power (Ta-Nehisi Coates)

Thinking in Pictures (Temple Grandin)

Modern Man in Search of a Soul (Carl Jung)

Social Engineering: Art of Human Hacking (Chris Hadnagy)

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, AKA said:

You'll have to bear with me, I've got a weird kind of ADD which means that I'm usually reading 6-7 different books at any given time.  Here's what I'm in the middle of right now:

Looks to me like you need to sit down and relax and read a few Zane Grey books ... :cowboy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL! 1

44 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Looks to me like you need to sit down and relax and read a few Zane Grey books ... :cowboy:

Shoot, I burned through them way back in my teens. My grandmother had the complete set. That iconic white canvas with blue/red trim. To this day every time I see them on my dad's bookshelf I'm filled with nostalgia. 

g8R9xYZ.jpg

Have you read any Cormac McCarthy? It's practically required reading for a Grey/L'Amour fan. Right up your alley, Kirt. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, AKA said:

Have you read any Cormac McCarthy? It's practically required reading for a Grey/L'Amour fan. Right up your alley, Kirt. 

I have read three of his books ... very good ... a couple of the movies were pretty good too ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I have read three of his books ... very good ... a couple of the movies were pretty good too ...

All The Pretty Horses should be redone as a miniseries like Lonesome Dove. Too good of a story to break down into 2 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoneykelly said:

All The Pretty Horses should be redone as a miniseries like Lonesome Dove. Too good of a story to break down into 2 hours.

Yes, that was a good movie ... reminded me a lot of some of the Zane Grey stories ...

Matt Damon, like Tom Cruise, is a very good actor ... I just wish they had some common sense in real life ...

Edited by KirtFalcon

41 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

You'e speaking to the person that sat down and read the entire encyclopedia Britannica  as a young lad

Actually, it was the Funk & Wagnalls with the gold and maroon binding. :woot: 

Sxo9Uoe.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 9:43 AM, AKA said:

A.D.D. Much there, AKA? ....😳😜👍

• LOL! 1

On 3/26/2018 at 11:50 AM, AKA said:

Shoot, I burned through them way back in my teens. My grandmother had the complete set. That iconic white canvas with blue/red trim. To this day every time I see them on my dad's bookshelf I'm filled with nostalgia. 

g8R9xYZ.jpg

My favorite thing about McCarthy, he proves all them little pesky punctuation marks (commas & quotation marks) are useless :) 

Btw, if you like a combination of western, savagery, mysticism, and blood, Blood Meridian is the book for you.  My favorite is No Country for Old Men.  Maybe because IR1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, REBgp said:

My favorite thing about McCarthy, he proves all them little pesky punctuation marks (commas & quotation marks) are useless :) 

Btw, if you like a combination of western, savagery, mysticism, and blood, Blood Meridian is the book for you.  My favorite is No Country for Old Men.  Maybe because IR1.

Lol, maybe so, but I don't share his faith in his readers. When I start publishing I'm gonna go ahead and include commas and etc. :D 

Blood Meridian and No Country are both amazing. I love everything of McCarthy I've read. The Road is probably my favorite. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nearly 1/2 way through this book of 333 pages... It’s riveting information, but clearly written by a Brit, (Luke Harding) & reading things spelt different takes a little getting used to!

I think Snowden is a Patriot for exposing the NSA, the CIA, & The FBI’s illegal data mining under the guise of National Security... Too bad he’ll have to spend the rest of his life in Russia to avoid extradition, trial & probably execution once convicted.