Anything interesting you're reading right now?

Monte1076

On 5/30/2018 at 2:30 PM, CarthDawg77 said:

Just started this....

i listened to the audio book, it was good. I knew a lot of the info  that was in the book.  That was the first O'Reilly book i had read, and he focused on Reagan in the same manner as a dirty old man would focus on History.

I think Briet Baier is a better writer. and I just finished his book Three Days in January.

newest-cover.jpg n January 1961, two men prepared for the most significant change of power in a generation. In the course of three days Dwight D. Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy would both make speeches that resonate to this day. Three Days in January captures the dramatic tick-tock of that critical week and reveals what it means for us now as we approach a high stakes change of power in January 2017.

Days in January

In January 1961, two men prepared for the most significant change of power in a generation. In the course of three days Dwight D. Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy would both make speeches that resonate to this day. Three Days in January captures the dramatic tick-tock of that critical week and reveals what it means for us now as we approach a high stakes change of power in January 2017.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JV_COACH said:

i listened to the audio book, it was good. I knew a lot of the info  that was in the book.  That was the first O'Reilly book i had read, and he focused on Reagan in the same manner as a dirty old man.

I think Briet Baier is a better writer. and I just finished his book Three Days in January.

newest-cover.jpg n January 1961, two men prepared for the most significant change of power in a generation. In the course of three days Dwight D. Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy would both make speeches that resonate to this day. Three Days in January captures the dramatic tick-tock of that critical week and reveals what it means for us now as we approach a high stakes change of power in January 2017.

Days in January

In January 1961, two men prepared for the most significant change of power in a generation. In the course of three days Dwight D. Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy would both make speeches that resonate to this day. Three Days in January captures the dramatic tick-tock of that critical week and reveals what it means for us now as we approach a high stakes change of power in January 2017.

Thanks, Coach! I’ll have to pick up a copy next time I go to Books-a-Million...👍

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 11:05 AM, KirtFalcon said:

Looks to me like you need to sit down and relax and read a few Zane Grey books ... :cowboy:

Zane Grey stayed at my great-grandparents house in Colorado, and would use some of the stories they told of my great-great grandfather  ( who was at one point in time the oldest man ever executed in Federal Prison) in his stories. 

• Like 2

Don’t tell me anything else about “Killing Reagan”, because I am about half way finished reading it. 

It is an intimate look at one of the greatest Presidents of our time; The thing I found surprising about Reagan was how powerful a leader he was, yet how insecure he was privately.

4 minutes ago, JV_COACH said:

Zane Grey stayed at my great-grandparents house in Colorado, and would use some of the stories they told of my great-great grandfather  ( who was at one point in time the oldest man ever executed in Federal Prison) in his stories. 

What did he do to get the Ultimate Penalty, if I may ask?😳

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 11:05 AM, KirtFalcon said:

Looks to me like you need to sit down and relax and read a few Zane Grey books ... :cowboy:

I used to read the “Long Arm” series WAY back in the day; (mid 80’s)  & I really enjoyed them. 

These days, political history, as well as history in general, is where I spend most of my reading time... 👌

Just now, CarthDawg77 said:

What did he do to get the Ultimate Penalty, if I may ask?😳

My Grandfather said he was innocent. This all happened in the late 30's early 40's.....and my grandfather was alive when it happened and then was in WWII (CBI) when he was executed and 40-60 years later my grandfather was upset about it. So I find a book called Posey's Spurs  By Howard E. Greager and it is a collection of old west stories and one of the stories was about Mancus Jim the life and times of Jim Stephens, and the book lined up with what my Grandfather said and that was  that the my Mancus was drunk and being a jerk and the new young sherif went to arrest him and Mancus Jim had a gun and in the struggle the sherif got killed. The rub is that a bystander was trying to help the sherrif and he accidentally shot the sheriff  , but since Mancus Jim was a man from a a more rough and tough time in America ( he had killed men in the past) and was famous for tracking down and killing an outlaw Indian that even the US army could not catch, and was an old mean drunk, so nobody believed his story and the judge in the case did not allow some key evidence to be used so he was gassed to death. During his execution Mancus Jim yelled/sang and old Indian war chant until he died.
I really enjoyed reading the book about Mancus Jim, because a lot of the names and stories that my Grandparents would tell me about form my/their past really came to life. It was cool for me.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, JV_COACH said:

My Grandfather said he was innocent. This all happened in the late 30's early 40's.....and my grandfather was alive when it happened and then was in WWII (CBI) when he was executed and 40-60 years later my grandfather was upset about it. So I find a book called Posey's Spurs  By Howard E. Greager and it is a collection of old west stories and one of the stories was about Mancus Jim the life and times of Jim Stephens, and the book lined up with what my Grandfather said and that was  that the my Mancus was drunk and being a jerk and the new young sherif went to arrest him and Mancus Jim had a gun and in the struggle the sherif got killed. The rub is that a bystander was trying to help the sherrif and he accidentally shot the sheriff  , but since Mancus Jim was a man from a a more rough and tough time in America ( he had killed men in the past) and was famous for tracking down and killing an outlaw Indian that even the US army could not catch, and was an old mean drunk, so nobody believed his story and the judge in the case did not allow some key evidence to be used so he was gassed to death. During his execution Mancus Jim yelled/sang and old Indian war chant until he died.
I really enjoyed reading the book about Mancus Jim, because a lot of the names and stories that my Grandparents would tell me about form my/their past really came to life. It was cool for me.

Man, Coach; The Gas Chamber! That would Have to be one of the Most agonizing ways to check out, because you Know people try to hold their breath, knowing what comes next! I’ve read where it takes Minutes to die that way... kind of like a bug in a jar with an alcohol soaked cotton ball.😳

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Man, Coach; The Gas Chamber! That would Have to be one of the Most agonizing ways to check out, because you Know people try to hold their breath, knowing what comes next! I’ve read where it takes Minutes to die that way... kind of like a bug in a jar with an alcohol soaked cotton ball.😳

Mancus Jim, to show that he was not scared or intimidated by death did the Indian prayer/war chant. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now I'm reading Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly & Hillary's Schemes by Carl  Limbacher. 

I read Killing Lincoln and thought it was great. Still need to read Killing Reagan.

Has anyone read Ed Henry's book 42 Faith? I really want to get that one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...