๐Ÿ€ 2018-19 NCAA Basketball

I was at the game last night vs TCU. I have watched a lot of basketball in my life and been around the game since I can remember how to walk (my gpaw was a college basketball coach) and I have to say that is up there on my list for the worst basketball I've seen in my entire life. Here are my takeaways:

Texas is poorly coached - Shaka is not the guy. He was a Charlie Strong type hire. He was the hot and upcoming thing, but he has flopped completely with the talent he has. I like the guy a lot as a person, but he's not a good fit. Players have ZERO fundamentals. The fundies are the most important thing I notice in basketball, which is why I love watching Duke and coach K. Randy is stuck in high school and shouldn't see the floor. He makes cross court passes which is the number 1 thing you don't do in this level of basketball. You might get by with that in high school or the NBA, but in college, teams actually play defense and will sniff that out like a hawk. Same applies for when they drive baselineย  and try to kick it out to the opposite wing or the corner. Every time this happened last night it resulted in either a turnover or killed momentum.

And perhaps the thing that irked me the most... 3 pt shooting. Every player is out on the perimeter waiting for 3 point opportunities. But the funny thing is, NOBODY CAN SHOOT. Why run an offense with an emphasis on 3 point shooting when you don't have anybody that can shoot? Nothing changed the whole game. It was hard to watch.ย 

Hayes is good, but he's soft. Roach and coleman can't dribble with their off hand. Elijah Long was the only was the stood out to me as a true player. He was quick, smooth, and had a nice looking jumper.

I hate to be negative and rag, but I have been so frustrated with Texas basketball for a long time. And what's even worse, is that Tennessee is number 1 in the country right now....

ย 

• Like 1

OMG yes, Tennessee with Rick Barnes...playing the style of ball I'd love and pundits constantly talking about "this is how his Texas teams always played...tough, great fundamentals, and a few good players always".

you are totally correct in the "guys surrounding the 3 point line" passing it around and around...teams just know its going around and around, it's silly usually...shot clock gets low, they get a horrendous shot with someone that can't shoot...over and over again. bad basketball!

23 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

OMG yes, Tennessee with Rick Barnes...playing the style of ball I'd love and pundits constantly talking about "this is how his Texas teams always played...tough, great fundamentals, and a few good players always".

you are totally correct in the "guys surrounding the 3 point line" passing it around and around...teams just know its going around and around, it's silly usually...shot clock gets low, they get a horrendous shot with someone that can't shoot...over and over again. bad basketball!

It's why they score few points. Everyone just stands on the perimeter and it's pass and screen away until you get an open shot. Or pick n roll and lob it up to Hayes. It's very simple. And they don't have an outside 3 point threat to make it work.ย 

UK wins 71-63!!!!! ย 6 straight wins now. Snaps a 3 game losing streak to KU. Time to start talking #1 seed for the Cats.ย 

Here's the box score: https://t.co/P4Yfx7UyWc

ย 

ย 

ย 

Kentucky won without a single point from its bench tonight. https://t.co/STq4qjNmtj

Herro went 2/9 as well. UK didnโ€™t hit a 3 in the 1st half but was down only 33-30 at the half.ย 

ย 

Per Kyle Tucker:ย 

Since the Duke disaster, Kentucky about to be 5-0 vs. the current AP Top 25: No. 9 Kansas, No. 11 North Carolina, No. 16 Auburn, No. 22 Mississippi State, No. 23 Louisville. What a turnaround for this team.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Has this been announced already?!?!

No but his buyout is $15M. Texas can get the money but I donโ€™t think they will especially with the new arena being built. If you make a change might as well wait until you have the new arena as an incentive for a new coach.ย 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Texas can't shoot. Period.

Shaka and the team are an embarrassment...it's so hard to watch. Bad thing...they will play good tomorrow Tuesday evening against Kansas @ home since they are crazy inconsistent up and down...seems like they feed off the crowd and there should be a good one that night.

9 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Shaka and the team are an embarrassment...it's so hard to watch. Bad thing...they will play good tomorrow Tuesday evening against Kansas @ home since they are crazy inconsistent up and down...seems like they feed off the crowd and there should be a good one that night.

The new arena needs to get here soon. The drum is too big imo, making the crowd less of a factor (when there is one lol)

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

The new arena needs to get here soon. The drum is too big imo, making the crowd less of a factor (when there is one lol)

The new arena isn't going to be any better. Capacity of 15,000 and will have 10,000 open for basketball games. This arena is designed as a concert/entertainment venue, much like the Erwin Center.ย 

World Class UT Basketball Arena Will Host Longhorns Benefiting Austin Community