🏀 2018-19 NCAA Basketball

I know this conversation has probably come up here, but what do y'all think about the one and done rule? The more I watch college basketball since the rule has been in place I personally don't like it. I think they should go back to you're either drafted out of HS or you spend at least 3 years at a university. It may not be the best route for the players, but it makes college basketball a lot more interesting in my opinion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I know this conversation has probably come up here, but what do y'all think about the one and done rule? The more I watch college basketball since the rule has been in place I personally don't like it. I think they should go back to you're either drafted out of HS or you spend at least 3 years at a university. It may not be the best route for the players, but it makes college basketball a lot more interesting in my opinion.

1 and done is stupid...  

My structure would be:

- Choose college you are ineligible for the NBA draft for 2 years.
- Forego college and enter the draft.  If you go undrafted you are immediately eligible for NBA Developmental leagues (G-League).
- Expand the NBA draft to 3-4 rounds to designate certain players to that league at a flat salary of $350k/yr etc...

All this will do is allow schools to recruit kids who want to be in college and develop their skills.  We will see the strengths of individual coaching like Coach K who can take a kid that can't hit a 15 footer and have him hitting every 15 footer that 2nd year.  We will know the players at our schools again.  It will also increase marketability of the G-League and the increase in salary of that league will keep some of the money-only kids away from college.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

1 and done is stupid...  

My structure would be:

- Choose college you are ineligible for the NBA draft for 2 years.
- Forego college and enter the draft.  If you go undrafted you are immediately eligible for NBA Developmental leagues (G-League).
- Expand the NBA draft to 3-4 rounds to designate certain players to that league at a flat salary of $350k/yr etc...

All this will do is allow schools to recruit kids who want to be in college and develop their skills.  We will see the strengths of individual coaching like Coach K who can take a kid that can't hit a 15 footer and have him hitting every 15 footer that 2nd year.  We will know the players at our schools again.  It will also increase marketability of the G-League and the increase in salary of that league will keep some of the money-only kids away from college.

Agree with this. The rule benefits the schools like KU, Duke, Kentucky, and the likes, but not schools that don't have the long history of success. I know for me personally it's hard to watch Texas basketball because the players that are good will probably leave after one year, rinse and repeat. 

Feb 11th AP Poll: 

POLL ALERT: Media panel sticks with Tennessee as No. 1 in AP Top 25, despite NCAA's pick of Duke as leader in tournament rankings: See the full poll: https://t.co/Bki4Cuzunw https://t.co/mUugSrtmeL

Well look who got some votes this week and "looks" NCAA Tournament bound……… hmmmm…… 😂

19 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Feb 11th AP Poll: 

POLL ALERT: Media panel sticks with Tennessee as No. 1 in AP Top 25, despite NCAA's pick of Duke as leader in tournament rankings: See the full poll: https://t.co/Bki4Cuzunw https://t.co/mUugSrtmeL

Well look who got some votes this week and "looks" NCAA Tournament bound……… hmmmm…… 😂

I assume you're talking about UT haha. The wins against Baylor, WVU, and Kansas have been huge. What hurts them (and me as a fan) is that they play to level of their competition and lose games they shouldn't. And then they turn around and hand it to these ranked teams. It bugs me. They will probably make the tournament, but who's to say how far they'll go.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I assume you're talking about UT haha. The wins against Baylor, WVU, and Kansas have been huge. What hurts them (and me as a fan) is that they play to level of their competition and lose games they shouldn't. And then they turn around and hand it to these ranked teams. It bugs me. They will probably make the tournament, but who's to say how far they'll go.

I'll be shocked if it is anything other than a dumb founding loss to a 6 to 10 seed in the opening round.

exactly, they will get things going and get into the tournament at around a 6 seed probably and get beat by 12 or 13 points by a rinka-dink cruddy 11 seed...will resemble Shaka at VCU beating up higher seeds. he will look somewhat lost on the sidelines in the last 2 to 3 minutes as the opponent pulls away with a couple three's and us fouling them to death and their team hitting every free throw because they will be sound from the line.

4 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Great guess!  Hopefully they've turned the corner. 

From Kyle Tucker: WOW. Officials say not goal-tending.

FINAL: No. 19 LSU 73, No. 5 Kentucky 71.

Cats' 10-game winning streak comes to a controversial end and UK loses at home for just the ninth time in 10 seasons under Calipari.

Final Boxscore: Kentucky vs. LSU https://t.co/xu5KsnwDMt

Those refs better not be staying at the hotel attached to Rupp Arena. 

29 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

From Kyle Tucker: WOW. Officials say not goal-tending.

FINAL: No. 19 LSU 73, No. 5 Kentucky 71.

Cats' 10-game winning streak comes to a controversial end and UK loses at home for just the ninth time in 10 seasons under Calipari.

Final Boxscore: Kentucky vs. LSU https://t.co/xu5KsnwDMt

Those refs better not be staying at the hotel attached to Rupp Arena. 

Either way, this loss won’t hurt Kentucky at all, but will help LSU a ton.  We are looking at potentially 3 SEC schools with a 3 seed or better if they keep this up

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Either way, this loss won’t hurt Kentucky at all, but will help LSU a ton.  We are looking at potentially 3 SEC schools with a 3 seed or better if they keep this up

And Lsu gets Tennessee at home. Regular season might end up in a tie at this rate. 

In more weird college basketball tonight: UT is up 39-35 over #18 Kstate at home at the half and #2 Duke is down 38-29 on the road at #16 Louisville at the half. 

#12 Purdue gets spanked by #24 Maryland 70-56 on the road and the biggest surprise: #6 Michigan is down by 5 at Penn State on the road, it was by double-digits earlier. 

10 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Coach Underwood and his Illini ballclub go into Columbus and beat Ohio State first the 1st time in 10yrs 63-56. 4 straight wins for Illinois. They look like a totally different team from December/January. 

I still think Underwood should have waited for a job in Texas to open up...

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

I still think Underwood should have waited for a job in Texas to open up...

I've kept up with him, and for the 1st time since he has left SFA, he finally has a group that is playing like his SFA teams. They are pretty salty on defense, and are playing pretty good defense right now. And he is YOUNG this year.

• Like 1