Nelson named new AD/HC in Daingerfield

EastTxFinest

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

As little as 7-8 years ago, DF won just about every sprinting and short distance running event that I can remember 

We've went to state almost every year in track till the past year or so. You're right about 7-8 years ago and many years before that. We stayed blazin the tracks up.

8 hours ago, wildtigers said:

Could it be that the track program is in bad shape due to allowing the kids to do what they want and not even participate?  Just asking because I heard that it was in bad shape and wondered why, maybe someone can enlighten us.  I would like to know, because the girls team is awesome and they have a great coach.

Seems like you're asking me that directly so I'll give ya my take on it. I haven't been to any of the track meets, but I know we returned three off the relay Dfield did well with last year, may even went to Austin last year.(Woods,Wilkerson,Lynn) Think they did, you can check. Woods(the fastest kid on that relay) is out for year with ACL injury, that takes away points on 200m and relays. Lynn runs the 100m and both relays and he is out, so that only leaves Wilkerson and If you check he is doing pretty good in his individual events. (He runs the 100m.) We have a Soph (Grant)that is a speedster runs the 200m. (Remember that name). We have a bunch of Soph and Fresh competing, but not raising any sand😉.  We have a few other straight up athletes not running track. One plays baseball, one stays in trouble, other can't pass. Now I hope this has enlightened you/helps. Agreed Coach Carter is doing a good job with the girls. She returned practically all of her track team from last year.

8 minutes ago, KrookedWolfe said:

Seems like you're asking me that directly so I'll give ya my take on it. I haven't been to any of the track meets, but I know we returned three off the relay Dfield did well with last year, may even went to Austin last year.(Woods,Wilkerson,Lynn) Think they did, you can check. Woods(the fastest kid on that relay) is out for year with ACL injury, that takes away points on 200m and relays. Lynn runs the 100m and both relays and he is out, so that only leaves Wilkerson and If you check he is doing pretty good in his individual events. (He runs the 100m.) We have a Soph (Grant)that is a speedster runs the 200m. (Remember that name).We have a a bunch of Soph and Fresh competing, but not raising any sand😉.  We have a few other straight up athletes not running track. One plays baseball, one stays in trouble, other can't pass. Now I hope this has enlightened you. Agreed Coach Carter is doing a good job with the girls. She returned practically all of her track team from last year.

There is another problem.  How is it the kids are failing and can't run?  Part of the responsibility of a coach is to keep those kids eligible for all seasons.  

2 hours ago, coachc45 said:

There is another problem.  How is it the kids are failing and can't run?  Part of the responsibility of a coach is to keep those kids eligible for all seasons.  

That is definetly a problem, but I  think most programs will probably have a exception here and there. 

A couple of things from Gunter.

We only led 8-3 at half,though blew it open somewhat in the 3rd quarter.  I think DF had one of the better defenses we played, forgetting about Newton's defense.   If they all pull on the same end of the rope they could be very tough.  My understanding is that DF has alot coming back.

Gunter's HC was promoted from DC 11 or so years ago.  Never had been a HC. This was worked out pretty well.

12 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

We only led 8-3 at half,though blew it open somewhat in the 3rd quarter.  I think DF had one of the better defenses we played, forgetting about Newton's defense.   If they all pull on the same end of the rope they could be very tough.  My understanding is that DF has alot coming back.

Gunter's HC was promoted from DC 11 or so years ago.  Never had been a HC. This was worked out pretty well.

Well said GTAlumnus.  The DF offense was very predictable.  They changed up some of the blocking schemes late in district but the plays were essentially the same.  Gunter could stack the box with no worries of being beaten down field by the pass.  It seemed to be 8 defensive players versus 5 or 6 blockers...those numbers don't work out too well for the offense.  The DF defense will be just fine this year, but we have to do something different offensively to compete well this year.  We lost a great lineman and leader to graduation who will be difficult to replace but we do have some young guys coming up to fill some of the gaps left behind.  It will be interesting and fun to watch.

I certainly wish coach Nelson and the Daingerfield Tigers the best in the coming years.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

Yeah, problem there is that the real dc was in the box and not on the floor, Nelson is just who you saw.  That was Gandy’s defense not Nelson’s.  He’s a helluva clapper, just not a coach.  He wasn’t even the best, most qualified coach on staff.  Gandy just didn’t  go to the right bbq’s 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JAKEBRAKE said:

Yeah, problem there is that the real dc was in the box and not on the floor, Nelson is just who you saw.  That was Gandy’s defense not Nelson’s.  He’s a helluva clapper, just not a coach.  He wasn’t even the best, most qualified coach on staff.  Gandy just didn’t  go to the right bbq’s 

Jake your administering medicine to the dead ...........................:munch:................hear they are having a chicken leg hoe down BBQ Sat night and are going to name some new plays in the book...."Bud light option fat leg right "  on third and long.

• LOL! 1

12 hours ago, Crankshaft said:

Jake your administering medicine to the dead ...........................:munch:................hear they are having a chicken leg hoe down BBQ Sat night and are going to name some new plays in the book...."Bud light option fat leg right "  on third and long.

WHAT A TRAIN WRECK SOMEONE HAS CREATED.  Get more mad every time something comes out.  What else will we never know?

• Thumbs Down 1

50 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

I sincerely hope Nelson works out for y'all. DF has a long and proud history and tradition. I've always respected that tradition and hope nothing but the best for DF Nation. 

This is the kind of stuff that happens to a once proud community when "outsiders" come in with an agenda and are allowed to do things to promote that agenda. The last time I checked, public education was supposed to be about doing what is best for the kids. This whole situation reeks of adults doing things to get what they want and not putting the success of the student/athletes at the forefront.

27 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

This is the kind of stuff that happens to a once proud community when "outsiders" come in with an agenda and are allowed to do things to promote that agenda. The last time I checked, public education was supposed to be about doing what is best for the kids. This whole situation reeks of adults doing things to get what they want and not putting the success of the student/athletes at the forefront.

I am afraid there are just as many insiders involved in this as outsiders, sad situation.

I think that the people that still live there are just trying not to rock the boat any more then it is already, the rest of us that are alumni and fans are just still in a state of shock.  There is really nothing that can be said that has not been said and beating up on the school and town that you love can not really help.  Just have to find other ways to try to make a difference.

• Thumbs Down 1

28 minutes ago, wildtigers said:

I think that the people that still live there are just trying not to rock the boat any more then it is already, the rest of us that are alumni and fans are just still in a state of shock.  There is really nothing that can be said that has not been said and beating up on the school and town that you love can not really help.  Just have to find other ways to try to make a difference.

For a very large local support group of the program, It's not even worth fighting for anymore. you can stick a fork in a lot of past supporters.

• Stinks 1

1 hour ago, wildtigers said:

I think that the people that still live there are just trying not to rock the boat any more then it is already, the rest of us that are alumni and fans are just still in a state of shock.  There is really nothing that can be said that has not been said and beating up on the school and town that you love can not really helpJust have to find other ways to try to make a difference.

Can some of you rational D'field people please come to Longview and chat with our folks?  This point continues to elude them.  :D 

Jakebrake, how many practices have you watched the last 2 seasons. I have seen at least half of them. Coach Nelson impressed me from the first summer workouts. Always teaching and interacting with kids. Waldie had some good coaches on his staff. Let them coach. All this negativity does nothing but hurt the kids and the community. Whoever they would have picked to be Head Coach, I would have been behind 100%. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, logitech said:

Jakebrake, how many practices have you watched the last 2 seasons. I have seen at least half of them. Coach Nelson impressed me from the first summer workouts. Always teaching and interacting with kids. Waldie had some good coaches on his staff. Let them coach. All this negativity does nothing but hurt the kids and the community. Whoever they would have picked to be Head Coach, I would have been behind 100%. 

Dude, are you on his payroll? You love some Nelson!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, logitech said:

Well I don’t back him and neither does about 70% of the town.  You should’ve preached your negativity speech to Nelson, duke and the rest of the posse when they were meeting up at the fieldhouse, a coaches house and who knows where else trying to rally the coaches to tell the supt it was 10 to 1.  Luckily, there were a couple of them that had a conscience.  Get ready for the coaching exodus, it’s in progress as we speak.  The cats out of the bag in the coaching realm as well, he may be recruiting coaches off of farmers only.com.  He better hope this works out for him because he’ll be lucky to get a dodgeball gig after this.  And yeah, I watched a couple of practices, I saw more hitting and teaching at a build a bear workshop.  Lots of clapping though.  

30 minutes ago, JAKEBRAKE said:

Well I don’t back him and neither does about 70% of the town.  You should’ve preached your negativity speech to Nelson, duke and the rest of the posse when they were meeting up at the fieldhouse, a coaches house and who knows where else trying to rally the coaches to tell the supt it was 10 to 1.  Luckily, there were a couple of them that had a conscience.  Get ready for the coaching exodus, it’s in progress as we speak.  The cats out of the bag in the coaching realm as well, he may be recruiting coaches off of farmers only.com.  He better hope this works out for him because he’ll be lucky to get a dodgeball gig after this.  And yeah, I watched a couple of practices, I saw more hitting at a build a bear workshop.  Lots of clapping though.  

+10000000

• Thanks 2

• Smoaky locked this topic