Dez Bryant Will Be Cut Today

A lot of smoke and mirrors on this one folks. Dallas is bringing in former Jaguars WR Allen Hurns for a free agent visit. The two biggest possible outcomes of this signing are:

1. Dez Bryant gets cut. Allen Hurns is far inferior player than Dez but financially it would allow Dallas to have a replacement on roster for him, then draft a WR with 1 of 2 top 50 picks in the draft. Why would Dez get cut you ask when JJ and Stephen seem to be in his corner. 

2. Scott Linehan is out Jason Garretting Jason Garrett. Anybody remember the rumors that Red pulled a Kevorkian and helped usher the end of Wade Phillips in Dallas? Questionable offensive play calls. Poor clock management. Instead of on the field shenanigans, Linehan is doing his scheming in The Star. Who got Wade Wilson fired as the QB coach? Who replaced him with his pet project QB fresh off retirement? Rumors and rumblings have Linehan wanting Dez out. For whatever reason, Linehan feels like Dez isn’t a fit for his scheme. 

This is all based off some very X-Files conspiracy theories floating around the Twitterverse. 

I have no interest in Hurns he's a #3 at best, but showed promise his sophomore season in the NFL.  Back to back 400 yard receiving years and less than 15 yards a catch.  We'll that fits Garrett and Linehan's dink and dunk system.  I'd rather see us draft a solid #1 receiver in this years draft, and still get rid of Dez.  We don't have a true #2 like we did in the days of Rentzel/Hayes, Hayes/Alworth,  Pearson/Richards/Dupree,  Pearson/Hill/Cosbie, and then Irvin/Harper/Novacek.  Jason Witten has been the best #2 since his career began, unless someone can correct me.  We should have a better receiving corps in the pass happy NFL today.  I hope Rico Gathers can show what he did last preseason next season, because until his concussion he was on fire.  I know cutting Dez will leave us in the same spot we were with him, without a solid #2, but our Corps is only slightly better than the Texain'ts that only have DeAndre Hopkins.  

• Like 1

We'll still need someone to replace him so I wouldn't do it until he's on the team.  I heard the Cowboys signed a free agent on the radio, but missed who it was.  If it was the receiver we signed yesterday he's definitely not a replacement.  

11 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

We'll still need someone to replace him so I wouldn't do it until he's on the team.  I heard the Cowboys signed a free agent on the radio, but missed who it was.  If it was the receiver we signed yesterday he's definitely not a replacement.  

They signed Allen Hurns today. Can’t wait to see the terms. The Star is saying that it’s a bargain deal that would allow them to keep both Dez and Hurns.

14 minutes ago, stoneykelly said:

They signed Allen Hurns today. Can’t wait to see the terms. The Star is saying that it’s a bargain deal that would allow them to keep both Dez and Hurns.

2yr $12 mil I saw earlier. Hope its less than that.  Could've gotten more with the Jets but the plane didn't takeoff cause of the snowstorm so he visited Dallas. 

2 hours ago, stoneykelly said:

The Dez cut/trade clock has started.

It started a long time ago for me ... he doesn't even try to run pass routes ... spends more time hand fighting than trying to separate from DBs and really doesn't have the speed to run free if he tried ... Dallas needs a true downfield threat in the mold of Julio Jones or Antonio Brown ... Dez seems like he just plays frustrated because things don't go his way ...

Edited by KirtFalcon
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

2yr $12 mil I saw earlier. Hope its less than that.  Could've gotten more with the Jets but the plane didn't takeoff cause of the snowstorm so he visited Dallas. 

I just saw that on facebook.  That's too much money for what he brings to the table.  We have the worst receiving corps still in my opinion.  One site had us at 8 last year, and they stunk up the place.  It's only become worse now.  Even Jacksonville was ranked 11th last year, but Hurns and Allen Robinson had terrible seasons.  They had the Rams at 32nd, but they had a solid group of receivers last year.  True this was preseason rankings :  http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/235175706/ranking-best-nfl-receiving-corps-in-football .  This guy evidently doesn't know a thing or two about receivers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

It started a long time ago for me ... he doesn't even try to run pass routes ... spends more time hand fighting than trying to separate from DBs and really doesn't have the speed to run free if he tried ... Dallas needs a true downfield threat in the mold of Julio Jones or Antonio Brown ... Dez seems like he just plays frustrated because things don't go his way ...

I agree 100% on needing a guy who create separation, get yards after the catch and just be an all around playmaker. If that guy started out as your WR2 across from Dez for one year wouldn’t be the worse idea to me. That guy should be your WR1 in 2019. I can guarantee you Allen Hurns is not that guy. Why would you bring in a cheap Dez lite on a two year deal? It’s because Dallas wants out of the Dez business.

1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

That makes the signing of Deonte Thompson look even more dumb. Why sign a guy to $2.5m guaranteed who will not make the final cut of the roster come training camp. Especially when the next day you sign Dez’s replacement. It don’t make sense. 

18 minutes ago, stoneykelly said:

That makes the signing of Deonte Thompson look even more dumb. Why sign a guy to $2.5m guaranteed who will not make the final cut of the roster come training camp. Especially when the next day you sign Dez’s replacement. It don’t make sense. 

Yeah. I see what you were talking about earlier. 

On 3/21/2018 at 6:55 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I know cutting Dez will leave us in the same spot we were with him, without a solid #2, but our Corps is only slightly better than the Texain'ts that only have DeAndre Hopkins.  

Cutting Dez hurts more than you think. He is still your best receiver. The cap hit is like $16 million if you cut him. 

As for Houston, they have this guy named Will Fuller that is kinda good. I think our receivers are better than they have been in years. I also expect a healthy Watson to elevate the play of those around him. 

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

Cutting Dez hurts more than you think. He is still your best receiver. The cap hit is like $16 million if you cut him. 

As for Houston, they have this guy named Will Fuller that is kinda good. I think our receivers are better than they have been in years. I also expect a healthy Watson to elevate the play of those around him. 

Dallas should try to trade Dez for whatever they can get for him ... surely there is a desperate team willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him ... maybe a 3rd and a 4th ....

^ Its always better to get rid of a player one year too early instead of a year too late. I don’t know if I’m ready to get away from Dez just yet. But I’m not Stephen and JJ. I’d be surprised if Dez is on this come June 1st.

4 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Dallas should try to trade Dez for whatever they can get for him ... surely there is a desperate team willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him ... maybe a 3rd and a 4th ....

Paging Indianapolis

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stoneykelly said:

1. Dallas can run more 4 Vertical. Virtually impossible to do last year.

2. Leverage for Dez trade/restructure. 

3. Leverage for Beez trade. 

4. Brown/Switz to practice squad/insurance for an injury. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, badblackcat said:

1. Dallas can run more 4 Vertical. Virtually impossible to do last year.

2. Leverage for Dez trade/restructure. 

3. Leverage for Beez trade. 

4. Brown/Switz to practice squad/insurance for an injury. 

1. Dallas getting vertical will open up that offense. I’m half tempted to take a TE this draft to replace Witten sooner than later. Gathers could be, could have been, that guy.

2. The numbers are there for Dallas to do whatever they want with Dez. You want to add a extra year, you can. You want to trade Dez, you can. It also takes WR at 19 from a top pick to a later round fill. 

3. Switzer has the ability to play the slot and vertical in the passing game. Beasley doesn’t. Plus his age, contract....Cole could easily be the odd man out.

4. I agree Brown needs more seasoning. Has the measurables to have a role on this team.

1. Dez isn't going no where, he will be in a Cowboys uniform next season.

2. Allen Hurns won't even take T. Will place in the starting spot. 

3. I expect Dez to move around more. I.e slot, motion... 

4. Wouldnt surprise me to see Dallas trade out the first round.

5. Hurns contract is basically a one year deal worth about 6 mil. Team option for the second year. So it doesn't affect cap.

6. I expect Collins to move back to LG he was much more dominant there.

1. Dez is way over paid and was a better receiver as a freshman at Okie State than he is now ....

2. I wouldn't bet on that one ....

3. Yes, he will move around, slowly and inefficiently because he isn't interested in running precise pass routes ... 

4. Bad move ... let the better players get snapped up for more mediocre in the later rounds is a recipe for going backwards ....

5. He is at least as good as what they have now .... they need to draft a legitimate downfield threat ... they don't have one now ...

6. probably ....

Dallas will trade up to get their guy before pick 19. Dallas has 10 picks. That’s a lot of ammo to move up in rounds to get your guy.

Collins came on at RT towards the end of the season. Would you move a more valuable piece at RT back to LG and replace him with a weaker RT? Especially when guard is a very deep position in the draft. Unlike tackle being weak this year.

TWill is having surgery on a broken foot this offseason. His contract will keep him on this team.

Now BBC made a great point about dealing Beasley. I could see that happening.

Stephen Jones said today that Dez’s contract will need to be looked at.

3 hours ago, stoneykelly said:

Dallas will trade up to get their guy before pick 19. Dallas has 10 picks. That’s a lot of ammo to move up in rounds to get your guy.

Collins came on at RT towards the end of the season. Would you move a more valuable piece at RT back to LG and replace him with a weaker RT? Especially when guard is a very deep position in the draft. Unlike tackle being weak this year.

TWill is having surgery on a broken foot this offseason. His contract will keep him on this team.

Now BBC made a great point about dealing Beasley. I could see that happening.

Stephen Jones said today that Dez’s contract will need to be looked at.

Yes, it needs to be looked at ... maybe cut in half .... unloading his contract should be a top priority before or during the draft ....

On 3/25/2018 at 5:11 PM, stoneykelly said:

1. Dallas getting vertical will open up that offense. I’m half tempted to take a TE this draft to replace Witten sooner than later. Gathers could be, could have been, that guy.

2. The numbers are there for Dallas to do whatever they want with Dez. You want to add a extra year, you can. You want to trade Dez, you can. It also takes WR at 19 from a top pick to a later round fill. 

3. Switzer has the ability to play the slot and vertical in the passing game. Beasley doesn’t. Plus his age, contract....Cole could easily be the odd man out.

4. I agree Brown needs more seasoning. Has the measurables to have a role on this team.

I was really just naming off the first few things that come to mind. Will Dallas do any of these things? I don't know. 

The one thing about the 4 Vertical that I would like to see them apply is using Dez in the Marquis Colston role, and let him run the cover beater rather than a TE doing it. That also has the advantage of usually giving you even numbers for your OL to block, meaning Dak and Zeke should see more daylight. 

I think Beasley's and Switzer's stats are all the same - comparable to Edelman and Amendola. Why can the latter get deep and Beez can't? Last training camp all Beez did was turn the corners around, go deep, and thrive. All they need to do so is getting the corner to take false steps (and Beez can do that), and getting the safety to cover the wrong man. Contract/age is a whole other thing, and will have to wait and see - I wouldn't cut him just because you have 1 too many WR (they get hurt - TWill already is). 

1 hour ago, HJR7 said:

Screw it trade 19 and number one next season for OBJ. You won't find a player of his caliber in this draft or the next. Hell you did for Roy Williams.

I wouldn't give a 2nd round pick for OBJ, much less a 1st round pick ...

Edited by KirtFalcon