What makes a leader on a high-school team?

TheShadowKnows

20 minutes ago, JV_COACH said:

This article is very timely and is a great reflective piece.  Me personally the loudest guy in the locker room, is either not the leader you want or is not really a leader.

https://coachingtoolbox.net/the-introverted-team-leader?utm_content=449a092443498422c3b5957dbd28e5a8&utm_campaign=180413&utm_source=Robly.com&utm_medium=email

That is why the best leaders are usually a combination of both introverts and extroverts. They know when reflection is necessary and one-on-one contact is the best way to convey information. And, they also are aware enough to know when action or a vocal outburst is the best way to handel a situation. Neither way is always right and neither way is always wrong. There has to be a health balance of the two for great leadership to occur. This goes for coaching as well.

• Like 1

This is very true. If he the player has the respect from his team they it shouldn’t matter if he is that “RaRa” kid or not. Or even if he gets “hyped” up from a good play as long as he acknowledges that there was a good play and does what the situation requires of him. I’m just saying I’ve noticed this with coaching staffs also. A lot of the best coaches aren’t the loud yelling types they are the quiet build relationship with the kids coaches.

• Like 1

I agree with what is being said........have seen BOTH types of leaders....Do as I do.....and do what I say...because I'm doing what I say ALSO............saying this....in todays society the Rah Rah guy.....sometimes comes across like a "teacher in the classroom"....and it then becomes like a Charlie Brown cartoon when the teacher is talking it is..."Wa Wa Wa"......the days of Coach getting up and giving that "fire and brimstone" Rah Rah speech are just about over......few places can you do that and get your point across.....CASE IN POINT.....Last year we were playing our Rival AT HOME and we played a TERRIBLE 1st half....our secondary coach came in and was ranting and raving about NOT reading their keys and NOT pursuing to the ball.....we won the game....BUT HC and AD got several calls from parents that we yelled and put their kids down and wanted to pull their kids out of football.....granted, the parents in question NEVER played football and NEVER did ANYTHING in High School but go to class and NOTHING ELSE......

1 hour ago, ManCaveDweller said:

I agree with what is being said........have seen BOTH types of leaders....Do as I do.....and do what I say...because I'm doing what I say ALSO............saying this....in todays society the Rah Rah guy.....sometimes comes across like a "teacher in the classroom"....and it then becomes like a Charlie Brown cartoon when the teacher is talking it is..."Wa Wa Wa"......the days of Coach getting up and giving that "fire and brimstone" Rah Rah speech are just about over......few places can you do that and get your point across.....CASE IN POINT.....Last year we were playing our Rival AT HOME and we played a TERRIBLE 1st half....our secondary coach came in and was ranting and raving about NOT reading their keys and NOT pursuing to the ball.....we won the game....BUT HC and AD got several calls from parents that we yelled and put their kids down and wanted to pull their kids out of football.....granted, the parents in question NEVER played football and NEVER did ANYTHING in High School but go to class and NOTHING ELSE......

I think part of good coaching and even a good leader as athletes go is also being discerning about what people outside are saying. Sometimes they have a point then sometimes they don't. You have to be constantly evaluating and have a standard of integrity to be a good leader and know when to go with the grain and when to go against it. When you decide to go against it have the intestinal fortitude to stand your ground no matter what if it's the right thing to do to even a detriment to you as the coach. I think we see a lot of coaches now-a-days going either coaching scared of the parents and losing their job or the I'm always right no matter what these parents are stupid and I know everything. Where is the leadership in that if you are suppose to be the leader of the team? I feel more leaders not only coaches or athletes on a team need to have the idea of "test all things keep that which is good".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManCaveDweller said:

Those momma's did things in high-school. Probably not so moral, but they did things. 

• LOL! 1

IMO, in the modern world of Coaching and Leading, the most important strength is being able to answer the question WHY?

Everybody wants to know WHY?

Assistant coaches, players, administration, parents, media and fans are always asking WHY?

If you can justify your actions and your decisions as a head coach, and convince everybody that they are in the best interest of the the TEAM and the KIDS then you are way ahead of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MS athletics and girls athletics used to be the "why?" question group. 

There is a time to answer "why" and have people understand, but if you have to constantly explain "why" it's as counterproductive as "because I said so". 

• Like 2

I worked for an AD....a LONG TIME ago.....that when he had parents come in and want to "spew" why little Johnny was NOT playing and Billy Bob WAS playing.....Old Coach Smith would start the meeting by saying.....[Parents].......do you believe that I...as the AD AND Head Football Coach of {.       } am here to make the BEST decisions for the betterment of the team and to win games???.....PARENTS......YES........Well thank you very much for coming in...IF you have any other questions...PLEASE don't hesitate to come back at a later time......Coach would stand up...shake their hands and LEAVE!!!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ManCaveDweller said:

I worked for an AD....a LONG TIME ago.....that when he had parents come in and want to "spew" why little Johnny was NOT playing and Billy Bob WAS playing.....Old Coach Smith would start the meeting by saying.....[Parents].......do you believe that I...as the AD AND Head Football Coach of {.       } am here to make the BEST decisions for the betterment of the team and to win games???.....PARENTS......YES........Well thank you very much for coming in...IF you have any other questions...PLEASE don't hesitate to come back at a later time......Coach would stand up...shake their hands and LEAVE!!!!!

That would be epic to see now days. Honestly some parents today would say no you’re not bettering the team. Then cuss out the coach.

The key words to his statement were..."I am here to make the BEST decisions"......Once he had a parent tell him NO........THEN he asked if the parent would like to come and make the decisions......parent said....HE could make better decisions than Coach could.....THEN Coach pulled out the Athletic handbook....AND a LIST of "problems" mostly from girl's athletics and asked the parent how would you handle THIS situation.....following the handbook and getting the situation "taken care of".......the parent jumped up and said....THIS is NOT MY KID.....I want to talk about MY KID.....ok...let's talk about YOUR KID.....johnny is 5'2" 240lbs.....and YOU want him to play QB....AIN'T going to happen....TRUE STORY!!!!!

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

A good leader makes the same decision whether he is dating the teammate's sister or the coach's daughter. He aint worried about feelings and junk like that. He prolly got at least a B+ average at the classroom too. Folks aint crossing their fingers to see if he's gonna be in the lineup Friday nite, ya know. True Storie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1