Stoney’s 2018 Mock Draft

The cutting of Dez Bryant changed the direction of my draft and opened me up to the thoughts of trading down in the 1st round to acquire a more” value to that slot” pick, plus get more picks to do some dealing with. I just can’t see dealing up in this draft to get a premier player. The sales price of 5 1st round QBs almost prices us out of doing so with our needs. The needs I feel Dallas needs to look at in this draft, in no particular order are : OL LB WR S DL. Any other positions are BAA (best available athlete within reason.) My draft however will have Dallas picking at their assigned picks.

1st Round pick 19- I have two teams in Baltimore and Seattle that are in the market for WR. That puts Ridley and DJ Moore potentially off my board. Will Hernandez and James Daniels should be there at 19. LB gives me Rashaan Evans and Leighton Vender Esch. There is no safety there I’m willing to take at 19. If Harold Landry fell here I’d be interested. Defensive tackle has talent in Vea and Payne.

Dallas Cowboys select LB Leighton Vander Esch Boise State

Linebacker is a position that if you don’t take one at 19 or 50, then there’s a good drop off in Day One contributors. Vander Esch is a guy that I’m not sold on 100%. I’m betting on his upside to continue developing, his ability to man the middle and allow Jaylon Smith to move to SAM.

2nd Round Pick 50- I got my Mike in the 1st. I’m still looking for : OL WR S DL lb. I’ve got a couple of Official 30 visitors, private workout guys available in this round. DT Nathan Shepherd of Fort Hays State. G Austin Corbett of Nevada. WR James Washington of Oklahoma State. S Jessie Bates of Wake Forest. There should be guys like WR Anthony Miller Memphis, TE Mike Gesicki Penn State, DT B.J. Hill NC State, DE Duke Ejiofor Wake Forest, LB Malik Jefferson Texas.

Dallas Cowboys select G Austin Corbett Nevada

Dallas fills two big holes with this pick, LG and RT. It allows Collins to stay at right tackle. Corbett slides in between Smith and Frederick. Played LT in college and could probably slide out there in a pinch but inside is where he’s the best fit in the NFL. 

3rd Round Pick 81- Two starters, two picks. Let’s try for 3. Needs are : WR S DL lb ol. We’ve got Official 30 visits, private workout guys still on my board. WR Dante Pettis Washington. RB Nyhiem Hines NC State. WR Michael Gallup Colorado State. WR DaSean Hamilton Penn State. DT Tim Settle Virginia Tech. DT Deadrin Senat. DT Derrick Nnadi Florida State. LB Fred Warner BYU. LB Darius Leonard South Carolina State. 

Dallas selects WR Michael Gallup Colorado State

6-0, 205 solid built WR. He’s a better route runner than he is a physical specimen. Can play the X and the Z. Could grow into a solid WR2.

4th Round pick 116- 2 starters and a contributor in the passing game ain’t a bad start. Needs : DL S lb ol wr. There’s still Official 30 visit guys here but of positions that I don’t see Dallas doubling down on. The TE trio of Dalton Schultz Stanford, Durham Smythe Notre Dame and Christopher Herndon Miami Fla. could still be here.  Cole Madison Washington State is a 30 visit that I’d keep an eye on if Dallas doesn’t to Guard in the 1st or 2nd. LBs Genard Avery Memphis, Jack Cichy Wisconsin start showing up here. S DeShon Elliott Texas is on the board. With pick 137 in the 4th I’m targeting a guy that I don’t think will be there for me to get later. 

Dallas Cowboys select DT Breeland Speeks Ole Miss

A 3 Tech who needs coaching up to hit his potential. Better pass rusher than run stopper right now. Some off field issues. 

4th round pick 137- see above

Dallas Cowboys select S DeShon Elliott Texas 

Playmaker in college (9 int) could be more of a strong safety at the next level. His tackling skills are ahead of his coverage skills right now. Brings some swagger that the secondary could use.

5th round pick 171- Dallas could use another LB. A change of pace running back to team with Zeke. Is there a TE that could come in and back up Witten? Do you take a shot on a QB?

Dallas Cowboys select RB Ito Smith Southern Mississippi 

5-9 200lbs. 3rd down scat back who can catch and run. A weapon when out in space. Willing blocker just not enough body to make a impact. He won’t be the guy if Zeke goes down to completely take over the role. That doesn’t seem to be Dallas’ MO.

6th round pick 192,193, 208 - This point of the draft your basically looking for traits.

Dallas Cowboys select LB Jack Cichy Wisconsin 

Injury special that should start out as a special teams performer and could work his way into a bigger role if his health holds up. 

Dallas Cowboys select CB Arrion Springs Oregon

5-10 with almost 32” arms corner from a Power 5 conference. Not a big playmaker on the ball (44 Passes defensed, 2 ints). If his technique gets coached up could be another piece to a young secondary.

Dallas  Cowboys select OT Desmond Harrison West Georgia 

If his off field issues and level of play can push him down to this spot he might be worth a shot. Started out at Texas before being dismissed. Needs a lot of coaching both on and off the field if he’s ever gonna have a shot to reach his talent levels. 

7th round pick 236- Scrath off lotto ticket time.

Dallas Cowboys select QB Matt Linehan Idaho

Dallas drafts the potential replacement for Dak Prescott. He should be handle to run Dallas’ space age offense as if he was groomed to run it. The absolute steal of the draft. 

I don't have Austin Corbett in my top 100 - have you seen him going in the 2nd somewhere? If Dallas were taking a guard in the 2nd, I would pray to the heavens for it to be Frank Ragnow.

All in all this wouldn't be a bad draft. I'm not sure any of these lower rated quarterbacks are worth drafting - all of them are Air Raid quarterbacks that don't offer much in improvement. If I were force to take one, I'd take Logan Woodside. 

I haven’t seen Corbett in any mocks in the 2nd? I really haven’t seen too many mocks to be honest. He’s a guy Dallas had in as private workout with. I’m not sure how many of that second group of interior guys/ bump down tackles make it to 50. 

Tyrell Crosby Oregon T

Martinas Rankin Miss State T

Braden Smith Auburn G

Austin Corbett Nevada G 

That’s the guys I was looking at in that 2nd/3rd window. Guys who could bounce out to tackle if needed. With Dez’s cut I’m open to trade back in the 1st and getting Wynn, Daniels or Hernandez and not worrying about LG or RT for the next couple years. How far is Billy Price’s injury gonna drop him? I heard talk he could be back in time for training camp.

Woodside is a guy I could see Dallas taking. Multi year starter at Toledo. He’s a bigger, stronger armed Kellen Moore.

I’m not sure what Dallas goes after at DT, wether it’s a 1 or 3 Tech. Do they cut Crawford after this year? Where do you play Collins at? 1 or 3? I’d like to see them take a Nnadi or Fukasi as a 1 myself but I don’t think Dallas has that high a value on a 1.

I wanted to take a TE but I don’t see Dallas taking one until Witten is done. We still have Gathers if they ever decide what to do with him. Swaim/ Hanna can still block if healthy.

I'm seeing many having Dallas taking D.J. Moore, but I'd rather have Courtland Sutton.  He has the size for a receiver, and many say he's ready to start in the NFL.  We have to have a receiver.  I would only want him or Calvin Ridley.  There are too many teams taking QB's, Defensive, or OL guys, and one running back so a receiver will definitely be there at 19.  I don't think you trade up unless you want Ridley.  I don't want to lose any picks, and I wouldn't risk it to move down to get more.  We need to just stay right where we're at.  

One guy who I’m real curious to see what happens with him is Michigan DT Maurice Hurst. First round talent. Early mock draft favorite for Dallas.  Heart problem discovered at Combine. What teams have taken him off their board? What round does a team roll the dice on him?

On 4/20/2018 at 6:06 PM, Stoney said:

One guy who I’m real curious to see what happens with him is Michigan DT Maurice Hurst. First round talent. Early mock draft favorite for Dallas.  Heart problem discovered at Combine. What teams have taken him off their board? What round does a team roll the dice on him?

I think Taven Bryan is better. Better use of hands, better first step, gets off blocks, better motor. 

I'd honestly have Taven Bryan as the first round pick, especially if there's a trade down, if I thought Marinelli could convince the room. 

• Like 1

Confucius  Coach say ... If you are going to trade picks, trade up, not down ... if you trade down, you will be playing against the studs you passed up looking for a "bargain" ... 

Edited by KirtFalcon
  • Thanks 1

7 picks left? We could use a 3rd down back. Dallas tried to move up for Moore. A TE to cover Witten/Hanna’s retirements. Still need another linebacker. Some more d-line help would be nice.Do they spend a late rounder on a QB?

Right now I think the targets are:

Hines

Elliott

Kiser

Smythe

Flowers

Watts

Jewell

Ito Smith

With quarterbacks I don't know. I haven't looked at many of them, and I didn't see one that would fit the skill profile of, say, Cooper Rush. It's possible they are more inclined to look for a guy that matches Dak's skillset now. Logan Woodside was really the only guy I was interested in. 

1 hour ago, badblackcat said:

Right now I think the targets are:

Hines

Elliott

Kiser

Smythe

Flowers

Watts

Jewell

Ito Smith

With quarterbacks I don't know. I haven't looked at many of them, and I didn't see one that would fit the skill profile of, say, Cooper Rush. It's possible they are more inclined to look for a guy that matches Dak's skillset now. Logan Woodside was really the only guy I was interested in. 

That’s a good list Cat. There’s some definite 3rd round talent there, maybe even some second depending on high you are on Jewell.

25 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

There aren't any QBs left that I would waste a pick on ...

All jokes aside, Scott Linehans kid will be on this team as a UDFA or a 7th round pick. Mark it down. I think he’s got that much pull now with the front office. It will be a wasted pick of course.

51 minutes ago, Stoney said:

All jokes aside, Scott Linehans kid will be on this team as a UDFA or a 7th round pick. Mark it down. I think he’s got that much pull now with the front office. It will be a wasted pick of course.

Yeah, could be. Seems a waste to use a draft pick on him, I assume they'll take him as a UDFA.