Daingerfield's Davin Nelson on AD/Football Coaching Job...

Smoaky

11 hours ago, EastTxFinest said:

Any news on new coaches for us?

Not that I've heard of ETF. That's the whole problem IMO. No word on a OC or what type of offense we will be running next year. We ran 3 plays the entire last season. Smh

No DC hired yet, so no word on what type of defense the Tigers will be in next year, but one thing is for certain and that is it needs to be completely different from this year or a more knowledgeable coordinator should coach it. (IMO) We have the kids and they should be working on installing this now so maybe some team leaders can be identified to take the guys through the summer and continue to work. I think some schools do 7 on 7, Do the Tigers even participate in that? If so what offense are they in?

If Gandy is already announced at Nacodoches then we should have the ability to have Coaches hired in Daingerfield. Instead of that I'm guessing we are still going through this drivers license stuff, so the Coach can't focus on hiring. Smh. 

2 minutes ago, KrookedWolfe said:

Not that I've heard of ETF. That's the whole problem IMO. No word on a OC or what type of offense we will be running next year. We ran 3 plays the entire last season. Smh

No DC hired yet, so no word on what type of defense the Tigers will be in next year, but one thing is for certain and that is it needs to be completely different from this year or a more knowledgeable coordinator should coach it. (IMO) We have the kids and they should be working on installing this now so maybe some team leaders can be identified to take the guys through the summer and continue to work. I think some schools do 7 on 7, Do the Tigers even participate in that? If so what offense are they in?

Nelson was  the DC, so the defensive scheme should be obvious.

The OC is still employed, as far as I know. Now the offensive scheme, that is a good question.

6 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

The OC is still employed, as far as I know. Now the offensive scheme, that is a good question.

Well PAP39 if Nelson was DC we need a more knowledgeable Coach running it in my opinion. The Tigers didn't stop anybody last season. 

1 minute ago, KrookedWolfe said:

Well PAP39 if Nelson was DC we need a more knowledgeable Coach running it in my opinion. The Tigers didn't stop anybody last season. 

Not going to get any argument from me. I was just stating that the scheme should be apparent.

Now, actually slowing the opposition down, that's a completely different story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

I'm so lost.  So was Gandy the DC or was Nelson the DC.  

Or was Gandy the DC that called the defense and Nelson was the Co-DC who just hung out.

5 hours ago, EastTxFinest said:

Nelson's calling privileges were pulled and handed to gandy from what I gathered. We do have a 7 on 7 Wolfe 

Well that's good ETF that we do 7 on 7. So I can just about figure out the recievers, but who is QB? Jeter graduated and Woods is injured. How are they looking out there? 

7 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Not going to get any argument from me. I was just stating that the scheme should be apparent.

Now, actually slowing the opposition down, that's a completely different story.

No PAP39 this defense with Wadies staff was worse than Sardenia's defensive staff. The Tigers haven't had a true defense since Scott Irwin left as coordinator with Bowman. (And it wasn't because of D1 talent in 2010 because we won State in 08, 09 without the majority of them as starters). The Tigers need both a OC and a DC with some proven knowledge about that positions if we expect success. Whatever channel the HC is on during the game he needs to stay on it, but definetly don't give any advice on the defense. JMO. Nelson needs to sort through some of these bad apples on the team and kick them out of sports. It's some negative ones that don't deserve to represent the Tigers. 

An update . . .  DLSISD's administration has responded to KETK/Megan Roy's FOIA request in the form of an appeal. They were unwilling to respond to any of the questions Roy posed in her FOIA request, most of which was standard stuff.

So now it will go to the Texas AG where he will decide which questions/info DLSISD will have to surrender or not.

DLISD will likely lose their appeal with only one possible exception (one question), so this is more or less just buying some time.

5 hours ago, KrookedWolfe said:

Well that's good ETF that we do 7 on 7. So I can just about figure out the recievers, but who is QB? Jeter graduated and Woods is injured. How are they looking out there? 

Alexander was #11 last season and played corner on D. He is a sophmore now. We also have a freshman that's very talented. It's totally up for grabs imo. 

2 hours ago, Rents2DangHigh said:

An update . . .  DLSISD's administration has responded to KETK/Megan Roy's FOIA request in the form of an appeal. They were unwilling to respond to any of the questions Roy posed in her FOIA request, most of which was standard stuff.

So now it will go to the Texas AG where he will decide which questions/info DLSISD will have to surrender or not.

DLISD will likely lose their appeal with only one possible exception (one question), so this is more or less just buying some time.

Buying time for what exactly? Serious question. 2 different answers could fit here

57 minutes ago, EastTxFinest said:

Alexander was #11 last season and played corner on D. He is a sophmore now. We also have a freshman that's very talented. It's totally up for grabs imo. 

That's what I was hoping. I figured Alexander would have been our starter this past season. The right OC can make that kid a super star. He's fast,explosive  and has a good arm. Then he has explosive recievers(1 of which already holding a D1 offer)all Soph. What's the schedule EFT, I'd like to check them out? Wonder if I could stop by or call the field house? Wonder where Woods will play when he returns? Reciever? It suprised me when Woods returned to Qb when Jeter was injured, i thought Alexander would have stepped in. Anyway I hope they work through the summer, with the right scheme using these players we can be pretty hard to deal with this season. The Tigers don't exactly play the same schedule as in the past. 

10 hours ago, KrookedWolfe said:

That's what I was hoping. I figured Alexander would have been our starter this past season. The right OC can make that kid a super star. He's both fast and explosive  and has explosive recievers(1 of which already holding a D1 offer)all Soph. What's the schedule EFT, I'd like to check them out? Wonder if I could stop by or call the field house? Wonder where Woods will play when he returns? Reciever? ETF I hope they work through the summer, with the right scheme using these players we can be pretty hard to deal with this season. Especially playing this sort of schedule. 

I've watched these kids for a while now and they are very talented. Just missing a key piece to the puzzle. Hope we find it quickly

20 hours ago, EastTxFinest said:

Buying time for what exactly? Serious question. 2 different answers could fit here

I don't have that answer. But I know blood in the water when I see it.

You don't decline a FOIA request consisting of standard questions about personnel and processes unless there's something there that you don't want anyone else to know the answers.

Texas AG will rule on this and it will come out anyway. They know this. And I suspect there will be a "well, he's already in the job now" type mantra to come. Except, it won't be the AD's job that everyone will be taking aim at by then, IMO.

Secondarily, another, separate FOIA request did gain a response from the district. This FOIA request was made by a district taxpayer and sought information/documentation about the bar room brawl that supposedly happened at a coaching convention. Their response actually raises more questions than it answers. That FOIA produced a memo from former coach Waldie to Supt. Quarrels detailing the incident. The problem with this memo is – it was written by Waldie when he had already left DF and had begun a new job elsewhere, according to the date on the memo.

So either Waldie mysteriously cared about stuff he left behind and you'd think wouldn't matter to him or he was asked by Quarrels to produce this memo. 

So why would it matter to Waldie whether or not he wrote a memo about an incident almost two months old by then and would have no bearing whatsoever on his new job?

Or, why would Quarrels feel the need to pursue Waldie and pursue this memo? The memo is dated only a couple days prior to the board making the Nelson hire. 

Having a first-hand account of the incident, it was ugly and it was unnecessary and yes, quite juvenile – but nothing I would have fired him over. But I probably would not have, knowing this info, made him my next head coach.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Rents2DangHigh said:

I don't have that answer. But I know blood in the water when I see it.

You don't decline a FOIA request consisting of standard questions about personnel and processes unless there's something there that you don't want anyone else to know the answers.

Texas AG will rule on this and it will come out anyway. They know this. And I suspect there will be a "well, he's already in the job now" type mantra to come. Except, it won't be the AD's job that everyone will be taking aim at by then, IMO.

Secondarily, another, separate FOIA request did gain a response from the district. This FOIA request was made by a district taxpayer and sought information/documentation about the bar room brawl that supposedly happened at a coaching convention. Their response actually raises more questions than it answers. That FOIA produced a memo from former coach Waldie to Supt. Quarrels detailing the incident. The problem with this memo is – it was written by Waldie when he had already left DF and had begun a new job elsewhere, according to the date on the memo.

So either Waldie mysteriously cared about stuff he left behind and you'd think wouldn't matter to him or he was asked by Quarrels to produce this memo. 

So why would it matter to Waldie whether or not he wrote a memo about an incident almost two months old by then and would have no bearing whatsoever on his new job?

Or, why would Quarrels feel the need to pursue Waldie and pursue this memo? The memo is dated only a couple days prior to the board making the Nelson hire. 

Having a first-hand account of the incident, it was ugly and it was unnecessary and yes, quite juvenile – but nothing I would have fired him over. But I probably would not have, knowing this info, made him my next head coach.

Well said my man. Well said. That's the best way you could put it from any view. Things happened obviously in this whole ordeal. Which side is right? Idk anymore. I just want the final resolution before it's to late. 

1 hour ago, EastTxFinest said:

Well said my man. Well said. That's the best way you could put it from any view. Things happened obviously in this whole ordeal. Which side is right? Idk anymore. I just want the final resolution before it's to late. 

Well, its like a bad tooth. Nothing will be right until you extract it. Otherwise, you're just treating the pain and symptoms.

There are people in this equation who are outright counting on folks to come to the "I just want to move forward" stuff. That way, they don't have to spend their 15 mins in the spotlight having to be accountable.

Its those folks who make me want to puke and are why I speak out. 

Like I said, there are now more questions than answers, and this FOIA really wasn't the primary problem in play here. It appears the superintendent made an effort or assist, dare I say, on behalf of one of the coaching candidates. Why else does this person scramble only days before the hiring to get the memo produced from someone who is no longer their employee?

In the very least, you're going to have a problem getting coaching applicants again if the Nelson thing blows up. Who's going to trust the DLSISD process now? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rents2DangHigh said:

Well, its like a bad tooth. Nothing will be right until you extract it. Otherwise, you're just treating the pain and symptoms.

There are people in this equation who are outright counting on folks to come to the "I just want to move forward" stuff. That way, they don't have to spend their 15 mins in the spotlight having to be accountable.

Like I said, there are now more questions than answers, and this FOIA really wasn't the primary problem in play here. It appears the superintendent made an effort or assist, dare I say, on behalf of one of the coaching candidates. Why else does this person scramble only days before the hiring to get the memo produced from someone who is no longer their employee?

In the very least, you're going to have a problem getting coaching applicants again if the Nelson thing blows up. Who's going to trust the DLSISD process now? 

They are Banking on it.........

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rents2DangHigh said:

I think that no matter what happens with Nelson it’s going to be hard for anyone to trust DLSISD.

• Like 2