2018-19 11-6A Thread

LoboFan07

Only two East Texas teams in 6A now. Thought I'd start the new 11-6A thread with spring football starting up.

Longview started spring football yesterday. Spring game is set for Tuesday, May 15th.

Tyler Lee will start spring football on April 30th. Spring game is set for Friday, May 18th.

Others in 11-6A:
Mesquite
Mesquite Horn
North Mesquite
Rockwall
Rockwall Heath

Rockwall and Rockwall Heath begin their SQT 7 on 7 summer this Saturday in Frisco at the Star.

• Thanks 1

Let me be the first to gush about Haynes: The kid is bigger, smoother, more confident, and his mechanics are noticeably improved from last year. 

If the defense comes around, this team is gonna be special.

1 hour ago, Lion70 said:

Longview maybe in for a special year. Their District Championship to lose. I also would like too see Lee become competitive again. 

Eh. Rockwall and Mesquite Horn return quite a bit as well. There's definitely a top 3 in this district, it's just going to be interesting to see who wins it. I'll be glad when Givens graduates after this upcoming season. He worries me big time this year. And you know Rockwall will be wanting to get some revenge on us after we pulled out the upset last season at their place (and we have to travel there again). Not to mention, Rockwall probably should've beaten Horn last year too, if not for their horrible special teams.

A good write-up by Lobos asst. coach Spencer Borens: 2018 Lobo Spring Football Preview:

Fresh off a state semi-final appearance, the Lobos are back on the field for spring practice on April 23rd. Led by a slew of returning lettermen and a successful off-season, Longview looks to take their games to another level this fall and make another attempt at a state championship. Spring football is a great opportunity for coaches to experiment with lineups. For players, spring is about proving that you've improved over the off-season. The elder statesmen are looking to prove their dominance in the program, while showing they too have improved. The recruits are out to prove to colleges that they can play at the next level. The younger guys will be scratching their tails off to prove that they will too have a chance to play on Friday one night.

Read the whole thing.

I really like this write-up by His Royal Banned-ness, the-artist-formerly-known-as Wolfpack4Life: 

Thoughts on the 1st day of Spring.....

Most productive 1st day I've seen in several seasons. I couldn't tell you who won the day...the defense got the best of the offense at times and vice versa. Saw good on both sides of the ball.

The passing attack is something special. Haynes made some good throws to his corps of talented WR's in SR's Perry (6'0 170) and Johnson (6'1 175) as well as JR Kearbey (6'1 170). Those three make a good corps of pass catchers. Perry literally catches everything as usual. Randall (6'0 200) was out to prove himself as a pass catcher as well.

In the backfield, Williams and Anderson picked up right where they left off in 2017. Made some good runs....Williams made people miss all day. JR JD Williams is who really impressed me. Not only did he prove himself as a runner out of the backfield, he also proved himself to be a reliable backup for Haynes at the QB position.

On the defensive side of things...one word describes the DLine. Deep. Just as deep as 2017, maybe deeper. There was plenty of rotation up front but here were the main starters:

SR RE Cam Starling (6'1 210) *made the move from LB
JR DT Andrew Beltran (6'1 235)
JR DT John Goram-Welch (6'4 260)
SR LE Jaylon Allen (6'0 220)

Very scrappy bunch those 4 were. Then you add in rotation from SR Wallace (6'0 225), SR Rollins-James (5'10 205), JR Jones (6'0 200), SR Flores (6'3 210), and SR Reese (5'8 240)....that makes for at least a 9 deep rotation. Behind them, SR Javontae Writt (5'9 195) and JR Tyshawn Taylor (5'9 180) held down the two LB spots. Good day for both...Writt is special and had a special year last season. Between Writt, Starling, Allen, Rollins-James, and Wallace...that's 5 3 year varsity players. Yikes.

The secondary is filling 3 holes, 2 of them at safety. Remember me mentioning JR S Robert Pierce a few weeks back? That dude had an absolutely great 1st day. The 5'9 165 pounder caught two INT's and really stood out in the secondary. Expect him to take over one of the safety spots. That leaves 1 CB spot and 1 safety spot left to fill.

We did get a few move ins. I know JR WR Maldonaldo came from Frisco Centennial. He made a few catches on Day 1 as well.

• Like 1

Well he's still a sophomore (junior this upcoming football season). He played exclusively on JV last season and definitely wasn't that size.

He'll definitely get some looks just off his build in the coming months (years), and it sounds like he's been tearing things up the first couple of days for us as well.

13 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

JR DT John Goram-Welch (6'4 260)

With a build like that, I am guessing this kid is getting some looks?

Not yet. He's up from JV but has a very high ceiling. By next spring, no doubt he'll have a load of offers. He's just one of several Longview underclassmen set to make varsity debuts in 2018.

Longview is going to be very good in 2018. 2017 pretty much gave folks a preview. '19, '20 and '21 classes are all special and 2018 team is made up of all 3 classes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lion70 said:

W

Who y'all lose that was significant. I know that receiver graduated but I expect y'all have some quality replacements. Is that RB that was hurt coming back?

A'Darius Carter and Jaylin Brown both graduated offensively. That's about the only thing we lost there. We return everyone else, and yes Anderson is back for his senior season. Plus we add Meredith at back, who has been talked about for a while around these parts. He's going to be a special back for us before he graduates.

Lobos!!! Sounds like a certain team on the schedule has transfers, looks great, awesome and all is perfect until they actually play..... just amazing the homer attitude on steroids by some....... saying that....!the lobos look good but will have to prove it week in and week out!!! Period! Talk and practice is cheap!

5 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Legit lol'd.

Hey, we make fun of TFF, but his sudden reemergence always makes football season feel that much closer. 

So welcome back, you ornery ol' cuss. jihTdA5.gif

This is still this season....but Longview softball (19-5-1) starts their playoff journey tonight with a 3 game set against Conroe Oak Ridge in Buffalo. First time in a decade, according to the LNJ, that Longview has reached the post season in softball in back to back years.

Lady Lobos haven't won a post season series since 2008, and have only been as far as the 2nd round in their history.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoboFan07 said:

This is still this season....but Longview softball (19-5-1) starts their playoff journey tonight with a 3 game set against Conroe Oak Ridge in Buffalo. First time in a decade, according to the LNJ, that Longview has reached the post season in softball in back to back years.

Lady Lobos haven't won a post season series since 2008, and have only been as far as the 2nd round in their history.

Thanks for bringing this up. Talesha's doing a great job, and she's got her girls believing.

Lobo softball has been behind the eight-ball for a few years now, due in no small part to certain systemic and socio-political/cultural biases against the district as a whole.

We're making considerable strides in other similar areas. My hope is that this a new norm and not an anomaly. 

54 minutes ago, AKA said:

We're making considerable strides in other similar areas.

No doubt.

It's been a great year for Lobo athletics overall.

Boys soccer had a fantastic season, despite losing in round 1. Boys basketball made the playoffs for the first time in three years. Baseball didn't make the post season, but they definitely took huge strides compared to the last couple of seasons. Of course, we know what football did. Track has been doing fantastic.

Girls basketball still needs to improve to get back to where they're use to being.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

This is nice to hear... When I was working in Marshall, they were beyond dreadful to watch in baseball and softball.

15 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

This is nice to hear... When I was working in Marshall, they were beyond dreadful to watch in baseball and softball.

We're fighting agenda-driven gossip mongers and prejudice. But the demographics are improving. Still a lot of misconceptions to correct.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2018 at 9:15 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Lady Lobos got absolutely rocked in their 3-game series with Oak Ridge. #### that it ends an otherwise great season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lady Lobos got absolutely rocked in their 3-game series with Oak Ridge. #### that it ends an otherwise great season.

Agree, but it's also good experience for such a young team. Hopefully it gives them some fire in the belly to raise their game. :thumbsup: