SDC 2018 Official Draft Thread

11 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

I'm glad they didn't

We have two guys, Xavier Woods and Kavon Frazier, who could step into starting FS/SS jobs this season. Woods is a versatile guy who played some slot corner last year. He was a ballhawk in college. Kavon Frazier is a big hitter from the secondary. Give me those two and Gallup in 2018.

46 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Undersized not extremely fast 4'8 or something like that. Lacks maturity imo.

Sam Darnold
passing:  63.1% comp 4143yds 26tds 13int 148.1 rating
rushing (from scrimmage): 75att 82yds 5tds

Baker Mayfield
passing: 70.5% comp 4627yds 43tds 6int 198.9 rating
rushing (from scrimmage): 98att 313yds 6tds

Try again.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Just don't expect it. Darnold at least looks the part

He looks like he is more concerned about his hair getting out of place than anything else.  Did you see him messing with his hair putting on the cap at the draft? ... :woot:  He thinks he is a pretty boy, for sure ... :rofl:

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, AKA said:

Sam Darnold
passing:  63.1% comp 4143yds 26tds 13int 148.1 rating
rushing (from scrimmage): 75att 82yds 5tds

Baker Mayfield
passing: 70.5% comp 4627yds 43tds 6int 198.9 rating
rushing (from scrimmage): 98att 313yds 6tds

Try again.

Look at their entire career.  These other QBs couldn’t hold Mayfield’s jock even if he personally handed it to them. 

And if if I remember correctly, he walked on to a team twice and won the starting QB role.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Look at their entire career.  These other QBs couldn’t hold Mayfield’s jock even if he personally handed it to them. 

And if if I remember correctly, he walked on to a team twice and won the starting QB role.

Hey, I get it. The kid is cocky AF, and plays with an attitude. I totally get why other fanbases can't stand him. I get it. I get it. I get it. 

But the tired old, "hurr durr, 40 time, not tall enough, crotch grab, DWI arrest," bulls### is played out. Dude completely reversed our fortunes the last three years. Without Baker Mayfield, OU is struggling to make a New Year's bowl. Our defense has been trash for half a decade, but with Baker we're an overtime defensive choke away from playing for natty 8. 

Cleveland is a dumpster fire, yes, but if anyone can spark that team's resurgence, it's that cocky little SOB. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AKA said:

Hey, I get it. The kid is cocky AF, and plays with an attitude. I totally get why other fanbases can't stand him. I get it. I get it. I get it. 

But the tired old, "hurr durr, 40 time, not tall enough, crotch grab, DWI arrest," bulls### is played out. Dude completely reversed our fortunes the last three years. Without Baker Mayfield, OU is struggling to make a New Year's bowl. Our defense has been trash for half a decade, but with Baker we're an overtime defensive choke away from playing for natty 8. 

Cleveland is a dumpster fire, yes, but if anyone can spark that team's resurgence, it's that cocky little SOB. 

All kidding aside... If a certain Aggie could have laid off of the cocaine and alcohol abuse, Cleveland may not have needed another QB

• Like 3

11D3FC76-1AB7-4460-A2B3-AC40633E9203.png

Rookie season was a mess. Numerous reasons for it to be. Personal. Organizational. Sophomore year wasn’t exactly Pro Bowl material but it sure wasn’t dumpster fire bad. If Cleveland had a offensive line that could have protected him. A coach that wanted him and could have schemed a offense for him, he probably could have been, still could be a solid NFL starter.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Rookie season was a mess. Numerous reasons for it to be. Personal. Organizational. Sophomore year wasn’t exactly Pro Bowl material but it sure wasn’t dumpster fire bad. If Cleveland had a offensive line that could have protected him. A coach that wanted him and could have schemed a offense for him, he probably could have been, still could be a solid NFL starter.

Yeah, a 79.4 passer rating for a 2nd year man isn't terrible at all...  especially considering the things you mentioned. His career seems like much more of a fiasco in retrospect because of how notoriously he fell. But I can recall a brief window when it seemed like he might actually turn into a decent pro. 

4 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

He looks like he is more concerned about his hair getting out of place than anything else.  Did you see him messing with his hair putting on the cap at the draft? ... :woot:  He thinks he is a pretty boy, for sure ... :rofl:

Jets fans better hope he isn't the starter 😂

• LOL! 1

23 hours ago, Lion70 said:

Undersized not extremely fast 4'8 or something like that. Lacks maturity imo.

Exec tells how Mayfield changed Browns' mind on Darnold

"From the start of this college football season to the end of the season, I had Darnold No. 1 and Baker No. 2, (Josh) Rosen No. 3, (Lamar) Jackson No. 4 and (Josh) Allen after that.

"On our way through everything, you couldn't tell me Darnold wasn't the best. I did all my evaluations of the season.

"Then comes the part where you meet them off the field. You watch their workouts. You watch everything. And Baker blew me away. Highly, highly intelligent. Highly competitive.

"And he had a trait that some of the good ones have. I call it efficacy. That includes the power to effect other people. I thought that of all the quarterbacks I watched, he stood out far and above the other guys. When he walked into a room, you knew he was there."

4 hours ago, AKA said:

So like I was saying earlier... Mayfield comes in to Texas Tech without a scholarship and wins the starting job.  Was he great?  No... but neither was the team.  Coach GQ benches him to go with 2 other guys who were even worse... Mayfield leaves, goes to OU.... OU didn't really know he was coming, he didn't have a scholarship (right?), the guy steps in and wins the job at one of the most prestigious schools in the country, then we know what happened from there...

So how do you get to that point?  "He was lucky?"  "He knew people?" 

Basically, this kid works his #### off.  He works so hard that he is confident enough to throw it in your face and back it up the next time.  The whole he is 5 ft tall thing doesn't mean crap when you come to OU.  That argument is "he can't see over the OL."  OU has monster OL like you would see in the NFL...  The kid can play and he does most of it from the pocket...  He isn't a scrambler... he is a passer...  The guy is just good.  Remember, the same arguments were used against Brees and Wilson in the past...

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

So like I was saying earlier... Mayfield comes in to Texas Tech without a scholarship and wins the starting job.  Was he great?  No... but neither was the team.  Coach GQ benches him to go with 2 other guys who were even worse... Mayfield leaves, goes to OU.... OU didn't really know he was coming, he didn't have a scholarship (right?), the guy steps in and wins the job at one of the most prestigious schools in the country, then we know what happened from there...

So how do you get to that point?  "He was lucky?"  "He knew people?" 

Basically, this kid works his #### off.  He works so hard that he is confident enough to throw it in your face and back it up the next time.  The whole he is 5 ft tall thing doesn't mean #### when you come to OU.  That argument is "he can't see over the OL."  OU has monster OL like you would see in the NFL...  The kid can play and he does most of it from the pocket...  He isn't a scrambler... he is a passer...  The guy is just good.  Remember, the same arguments were used against Brees and Wilson in the past...

Didn't he bench him for Pat Mahomes? Or was that later? I remember watching Baker at Tech play against SMU and I knew he wouldn't be there long. It may look dumb to some that He benched Baker for Pat, but Baker would not be where he is now if he stuck with Tech.

32 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Didn't he bench him for Pat Mahomes? Or was that later? I remember watching Baker at Tech play against SMU and I knew he wouldn't be there long. It may look dumb to some that He benched Baker for Pat, but Baker would not be where he is now if he stuck with Tech.

Kilffy benched Baker Mayfield (Cleveland Browns), Davis Webb (NY Giants), and Michael Brewer. Yeah, he struck gold with Mahomes ( KC Chiefs), but he ran off three pretty talented quarterbacks before he got to Pat, then was stuck with Nic Shimonek...

6 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Kilffy benched Baker Mayfield (Cleveland Browns), Davis Webb (NY Giants), and Michael Brewer. Yeah, he struck gold with Mahomes ( KC Chiefs), but he ran off three pretty talented quarterbacks before he got to Pat, then was stuck with Nic Shimonek...

And Mayfield and Webb didn't thrive until they left Tech. Webb was garbage at Tech. 

25 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

And Mayfield and Webb didn't thrive until they left Tech. Webb was garbage at Tech. 

That's the funny part about Webb. He played in basically the same exact offense at Cal as he did at Tech...Now he is the heir apparent in New York behind Eli

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

That's the funny part about Webb. He played in basically the same exact offense at Cal as he did at Tech...Now he is the heir apparent in New York behind Eli

And that's what's funny about Baker too. It's weird, but it worked out for everyone involved in the end