Livingston AD open

LCM

Can the right fit turn the tide in Livingston. I know they passed on two proven applicants last time. Historically they have struggled with a good year or two here and there. I know their facilities are nice except for the stadium. Will the new guy get to bring in any coaches since it is so late and contracts have been renewed? With realignment this becomes a much better job. I see it closes on the 10th. Is Dr. Hawkins still the Supt?

On 5/1/2018 at 11:21 AM, larry said:

Can the right fit turn the tide in Livingston. I know they passed on two proven applicants last time. Historically they have struggled with a good year or two here and there. I know their facilities are nice except for the stadium. Will the new guy get to bring in any coaches since it is so late and contracts have been renewed? With realignment this becomes a much better job. I see it closes on the 10th. Is Dr. Hawkins still the Supt?

The stadium is trash, one of the worst I’ve ever been to. This is late in the game to be to bring in proven candidates. it was nonsense to not upgrade the football facilities and decide to focusing on the soccer complex.

9 hours ago, birddog7987 said:

The stadium is trash, one of the worst I’ve ever been to. This is late in the game to be deadline with all this. To being in proven candidates it was be Neece to upgrade the football facilities instead of focusing on the soccer complex.

Livingston will get a good coach. I can name 5 right off the top of my head, a couple have already been mentioned here, that were once employees of Livingston ISD and are capable of turning the program in the right direction. Just a matter of which one gets it.

9 hours ago, birddog7987 said:

The stadium is trash, one of the worst I’ve ever been to. This is late in the game to be deadline with all this. To being in proven candidates it was be Neece to upgrade the football facilities instead of focusing on the soccer complex.

Understatement of the year!!! My father actually played on the great teams in '34 and '35 and believe it or not it was on the SAME FIELD that they play on now!! They had a reunion of those teams back in the late 70's and man you talking about some stories!!!! Definitely a different game then, to say the least!!!!  

I still don't know how their stadium isn't cited for safety regulations.  It's dark on parts of the playing field and in the stands (and malaria from all the mosquitoes).

I feel for the kids that actually want to do good there.  They bust their tails, will buy into whoever, and, as a program, will be average at best.  I keep hearing there's athletes roaming the hallways but they won't play.  I know coaches that have been through there that have had success at other places and are those "kid's first" kind and they still struggled to win consistently.  This isn't a bash on the kids but more on the lack of complete community support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, nationalpastime said:

I still don't know how their stadium isn't cited for safety regulations.  It's dark on parts of the playing field and in the stands (and malaria from all the mosquitoes).

I feel for the kids that actually want to do good there.  They bust their tails, will buy into whoever, and, as a program, will be average at best.  I keep hearing there's athletes roaming the hallways but they won't play.  I know coaches that have been through there that have had success at other places and are those "kid's first" kind and they still struggled to win consistently.  This isn't a bash on the kids but more on the lack of complete community support.

Winning in football especially, has not always been high on the agenda in Livingston. They like to consider themselves a baseball town more than anything. Which is obvious by the fact that an individual builds a high quality baseball/softball complex for "private" use. Then initially rents the facility to the school district at a nominal fee.and eventually sells the facility to the school district.  

2 minutes ago, 893Record said:

Since they can't pass an athletic bond there, my guess is the soccer/track complex is the first step to building a football stadium by the high school! You have to do this in chunks without the bond!

Is it going to be turf or grass?

Lights or no lights?

Stands or no stands?

22 minutes ago, 893Record said:

That I don't know but they have plenty of propert y purchased next to the school!

The football stadium in Jasper started out as a track/soccer complex. It morphed into a pretty nice facility.

Just wondering if Livingston is following that formula.

3 hours ago, 893Record said:

Since they can't pass an athletic bond there, my guess is the soccer/track complex is the first step to building a football stadium by the high school! You have to do this in chunks without the bond!

They got all that space across from the school, they could've been had a nice 8,000 seat stadium near the school. 

On 5/1/2018 at 11:21 AM, larry said:

There's a guy that just needs an opportunity right down the lake.  He lives in Coldspring.  He is at Hull right now and I talked to him about it.  Coach Villanueva said he did put in for it and he would be a great fit IMO.  He just turned that baseball program around at HD and wasn't even the original head baseball coach.  I think they made the playoffs.  So to me, that's Coaching 

Just saying my .2 cents

I have lots of thoughts with this job! Livingston, like all schools, has its share of great families and kids along with the not-so great families and kids! Do they have the same talent as the "Rowe" years, NO! Not even close. Do they have some talent, yes of coarse. Will this realignment help? Absolutely but by no means is this new 4A district a cakewalk! Livingston is a consistent winner with baseball and softball! Football it seems, runs through some talent about every 5 years! One major problem is participation! Livingston has 2-3A numbers participating in athletics! This exposes football more then any sport! You simply need more kids! Also Livingston has a problem with kids specializing in one sport! That's the 5-6A mentality for a 4A school! What can solve this? Simply winning in football could bring up the numbers and overall sharing kids too! With small numbers you always fall for the trap of moving up youngsters to fill holes and the trickle down effect is that you lose on all levels! Someone needs to have the courage to keep the 7th through 9th grade classes together, along with this new realignment and start developing a winning mindset from the ground up! Does this mean tank the varsity? No but it is what it is! They have hit rock bottom! It's a tough gig but I feel doable with the assurance that it will take 3 years to see result! Just my take..

1 hour ago, jimmyjohnson said:

There's a guy that just needs an opportunity right down the lake.  He lives in Coldspring.  He is at Hull right now and I talked to him about it.  Coach Villanueva said he did put in for it and he would be a great fit IMO.  He just turned that baseball program around at HD and wasn't even the original head baseball coach.  I think they made the playoffs.  So to me, that's Coaching 

Just saying my .2 cents

Wait, it is your opinion that Livingston should hire the baseball coach from Hull Daisetta to lead their football program.....yeah...ok.

17 minutes ago, scatright said:

Wait, it is your opinion that Livingston should hire the baseball coach from Hull Daisetta to lead their football program.....yeah...ok.

Well, I im just saying that because I think he’s been a Head Football coach before. He just doesn’t coach baseball.  From what I have seen and been told by the current district coaches in baseball, he gets the best out his players.  

20 minutes ago, scatright said:

Looks like you’re from hull by the helmet logo?  What makes you think not he can’t do it?  

17 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

They got all that space across from the school, they could've been had a nice 8,000 seat stadium near the school. 

Are you referring to the land on the other side of FM 850 from the HS school?

If you are, it would take a lot of site prep ... that area is part of the flood plain for Long King Creek.

In the last fifty years I have seen a good portion of it under water.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jimmyjohnson said:

Looks like you’re from hull by the helmet logo?  What makes you think not he can’t do it?  

Just asking .... but is this the same Villanueva that his only head coach experience is when he won one game in two seasons at Louise HS a few years back?