Livingston AD open

LCM

25 minutes ago, DOB said:

Just asking .... but is this the same Villanueva that his only head coach experience is when he won one game in two seasons at Louise HS a few years back?

Yes sir it is. He was green. He did what he only knew from being around the slot t for a couple of years. 1st time being AD   He’s been around great coaches and programs since then.  Been molded so to speak so if he were to get another opportunity, he’s ready. He’s straight up a football guy that knows his stuff

8 hours ago, DOB said:

Are you referring to the land on the other side of FM 850 from the HS school?

If you are, it would take a lot of site prep ... that area is part of the flood plain for Long King Creek.

In the last fifty years I have seen a good portion of it under water.

I stand corrected, I didn't know that. 

Last thoughts before I mind my own business again ... remembering that my years at LHS were about my favorites - good kids, played hard, eager to learn - with solid parents.  That was a long time ago ....

One thing I can say that I feel good about the job is that it appears that they have a good superintendent to work for. I don't know him well, but I have had several conversations over the years with him – and I have several good friends who have worked with and around him, and they have nothing but good things to say.

In today's educational climate, that's a big deal. Because every head coach today who is lucky enough to have a good one knows that as head coach, they are always one hire away from having a good job turn into a bad one. As for as sup's go, in the last 41 years, I have had a couple of good ones, a couple of decent ones, and several lu-lu's. And there's plenty of those still out there – just add a few letters after your name and climb aboard. Good Sense is optional.

Over the last almost fifty years that I have been in and around the community, there have been very, very few members of the board who had, or felt, any connection to the game of football and the lessons it teaches … that, in fact, says a lot about a lot of things. But remember – it's their community and their school – and they were voted on by people in their district … so technically, we have little, if any right, to condemn them because their vision doesn't match with ours.

Interestingly over the last many years, I have had many a cup of coffee sitting around a cafe table with members of that community's power structure. And virtually all said a similar thing - “What the board wants is a head coach to come in and establish a competitive program. But remember this, what they mean by competitive is that they want that coach to finish 5-5 every season. Win more than that and you become a potential threat to their status quo.”

And like one said - “Board after board over the years has done everything it could to make the community believe that a winning football program in Livingston is out of reach. Eventually it sunk in – and people quit worrying about it.” That explains several things – like the Class AA facility that they refer to as a stadium; the same one my Mother marched on with the 1939 LHS Band.

(Oddly, they did pass a bond for a new stadium in the mid-to-late Seventies ... the Sup, unhappy with the results, took the question back to the voters again and had the bond overturned and used for other purposes ... never heard of that before or since ... one of the milktoast lu-lu's I referred to earlier)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DOB said:

Last thoughts before I mind my own business again ... remembering that my years at LHS were about my favorites - good kids, played hard, eager to learn - with solid parents.  That was a long time ago ....

One thing I can say that I feel good about the job is that it appears that they have a good superintendent to work for. I don't know him well, but I have had several conversations over the years with him – and I have several good friends who have worked with and around him, and they have nothing but good things to say.

In today's educational climate, that's a big deal. Because every head coach today who is lucky enough to have a good one knows that as head coach, they are always one hire away from having a good job turn into a bad one. As for as sup's go, in the last 41 years, I have had a couple of good ones, a couple of decent ones, and several lu-lu's. And there's plenty of those still out there – just add a few letters after your name and climb aboard. Good Sense is optional.

Over the last almost fifty years that I have been in and around the community, there have been very, very few members of the board who had, or felt, any connection to the game of football and the lessons it teaches … that, in fact, says a lot about a lot of things. But remember – it's their community and their school – and they were voted on by people in their district … so technically, we have little, if any right, to condemn them because their vision doesn't match with ours.

Interestingly over the last many years, I have had many a cup of coffee sitting around a cafe table with members of that community's power structure. And virtually all said a similar thing - “What the board wants is a head coach to come in and establish a competitive program. But remember this, what they mean by competitive is that they want that coach to finish 5-5 every season. Win more than that and you become a potential threat to their status quo.”

And like one said - “Board after board over the years has done everything it could to make the community believe that a winning football program in Livingston is out of reach. Eventually it sunk in – and people quit worrying about it.” That explains several things – like the Class AA facility that they refer to as a stadium; the same one my Mother marched on with the 1939 LHS Band.

(Oddly, they did pass a bond for a new stadium in the mid-to-late Seventies ... the Sup, unhappy with the results, took the question back to the voters again and had the bond overturned and used for other purposes ... never heard of that before or since ... one of the milktoast lu-lu's I referred to earlier)

That is very good post a lot of that is actually comparable to LCM imo.  IM not going to point fingers but in LCM its pretty known fact that as long the Head Football Coach makes it to bi district game every year and maintains 5-5 record he's going to keep his job. I hear all the time that LCM cant play football like the guys across I10 we are just a baseball school. But I still believe we could be competitive and play better ball then we do now. I think Livingston has some players but it comes down to the kids and how bad they want it and if they can play discipline ball.  

On 5/4/2018 at 7:06 AM, jimmyjohnson said:

Yes sir it is. He was green. He did what he only knew from being around the slot t for a couple of years. 1st time being AD   He’s been around great coaches and programs since then.  Been molded so to speak so if he were to get another opportunity, he’s ready. He’s straight up a football guy that knows his stuff

Straight up football guy who know his stuff, but had to do only what he knew when at Louise? Wouldn’t a football guy who knows his stuff not be pigeon holed into running the only thing he knew? 

Also, the current days program at HD wouldn’t be called “great”, so I am having trouble believing what you’re saying about this guy.

Why are you beating the drum so hard for this fellow? 

9 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Straight up football guy who know his stuff, but had to do only what he knew when at Louise? Wouldn’t a football guy who knows his stuff not be pigeon holed into running the only thing he knew? 

Also, the current days program at HD wouldn’t be called “great”, so I am having trouble believing what you’re saying about this guy.

Why are you beating the drum so hard for this fellow? 

I worked with him and now I’m an AD   I know what he’s capable of. Why do you care?!! Shouldn’t us coaches stick together and support one another?  You must have beef with him or something?!! Take a chill pill sir🤷🏽‍♂️

4 hours ago, jimmyjohnson said:

I worked with him and now I’m an AD   I know what he’s capable of. Why do you care?!! Shouldn’t us coaches stick together and support one another?  You must have beef with him or something?!! Take a chill pill sir🤷🏽‍♂️

Then call the Super over at those districts  and recommend the guy. You’re not going to get a guy hired on Ol Smoaky 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 2:26 PM, 893Record said:

I have lots of thoughts with this job! Livingston, like all schools, has its share of great families and kids along with the not-so great families and kids! Do they have the same talent as the "Rowe" years, NO! Not even close. Do they have some talent, yes of coarse. Will this realignment help? Absolutely but by no means is this new 4A district a cakewalk! Livingston is a consistent winner with baseball and softball! Football it seems, runs through some talent about every 5 years! One major problem is participation! Livingston has 2-3A numbers participating in athletics! This exposes football more then any sport! You simply need more kids! Also Livingston has a problem with kids specializing in one sport! That's the 5-6A mentality for a 4A school! What can solve this? Simply winning in football could bring up the numbers and overall sharing kids too! With small numbers you always fall for the trap of moving up youngsters to fill holes and the trickle down effect is that you lose on all levels! Someone needs to have the courage to keep the 7th through 9th grade classes together, along with this new realignment and start developing a winning mindset from the ground up! Does this mean tank the varsity? No but it is what it is! They have hit rock bottom! It's a tough gig but I feel doable with the assurance that it will take 3 years to see result! Just my take..

Spot on!  

I hope that the "hiring committee" can see things that way.

15 minutes ago, birddog7987 said:

Then call the Super over at those district and recommend the guy. You’re not going to get a guy hired on Ol Smoaky 

Dang Little Birdie, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers!! LOL!! Your offensive line drill, bird dog says it all.  That's all you will be and seem content on that.  But you can call out coaches that want to better themselves in their careers.  Smh!  What do you have against the guy?!! 

56 minutes ago, jimmyjohnson said:

Dang Little Birdie, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers!! LOL!! Your offensive line drill, bird dog says it all.  That's all you will be and seem content on that.  But you can call out coaches that want to better themselves in their careers.  Smh!  What do you have against the guy?!! 

I don’t even know the guy you’re recommending, 3 Rings

If you’re an AD and have worked with the guy, holler at the people who make the decisions. Not us talking heads - what’s that gonna get anyone. I ain’t got no skin in this game, slappie.

Plus, I’m the best damn Freshman B Team OL coach this side of I-20!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, birddog7987 said:

I don’t even know the guy you’re recommending, 3 Rings

If you’re an AD and have worked with the guy, holler at the people who make the decisions. Not us talking heads - what’s that gonna get anyone. I ain’t got no skin in this game, slappie.

Plus, I’m the best damn Freshman B Team OL coach this side of I-20!

Wow ... you mean the Board doesn't consult Smoaky before a hire ... that's gonna bust a lot of people's bubbles ...

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

35 minutes ago, DOB said:

Wow ... you mean the Board doesn't consult Smoaky before a hire ... that's gonna bust a lot of people's bubbles ...

Well, I think it depends on where you are. I'm pretty sure there are some places where the School Board is on Smoaky all of the time.

Other places, like Livingston where they could care less, not so much.

On 5/7/2018 at 6:14 AM, jimmyjohnson said:

If you sir are an Athletic Director, then you might want to work on your public relations skills. Because that outburst was rather childish. I'm glad you are passionate about your relationship with your fellow coaches, but I don't think Coach Villaneuva is a good fit for Livingston.

Two years ago, Coach V. Coached the Defensive Line for Shepherd and was the Head Baseball Coach. He seemed to be a good Line Coach, but I can tell you the Baseball season was a disaster. 

23 minutes ago, idk said:

Two years ago, Coach V. Coached the Defensive Line for Shepherd and was the Head Baseball Coach. He seemed to be a good Line Coach, but I can tell you the Baseball season was a disaster. 

There is a huge difference between being a good coach and being able to lead a program, whether it be Baseball or Football.

7 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

There is a huge difference between being a good coach and being able to lead a program, whether it be Baseball or Football.

Couldn't agree more. I never said he could lead a program, well I won't give my opinion on that one. I was stating that he seemed to be a good football coach, but when he was the one in charge of the baseball program it didn't end well, let's just say. 

• Like 1

I don't think the attitudes were bad, but when a few of your players had to pretty much run practice, it will never end well. That is why they are the players and there are supposed to be coaches. I know who you are speaking of and I can tell you straight out that kid did not have a bad attitude. 

When you are taking infield before the game and the coach cannot even hit a ball, that should tell you something. 

• LOL! 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

17 hours ago, idk said:

I don't think the attitudes were bad, but when a few of your players had to pretty much run practice, it will never end well. That is why they are the players and there are supposed to be coaches. I know who you are speaking of and I can tell you straight out that kid did not have a bad attitude. 

When you are taking infield before the game and the coach cannot even hit a ball, that should tell you something. 

Coach Villaneuva is probably a great coach and a fine gentleman, but coaching in Livingston takes a SPECIAL BREED of CAT. Polk County is a different place and if you don't know what you are getting into then you are better off staying away. Broussard was an outsider and he failed miserably. To coach in Livingston, you have to know the kids, the families, the situation and the culture.

As far as Shepherd Baseball, you are struggling to get a decent coach. The one you had this year wasn't much better than Villaneuva. What is the problem with Pirate Baseball, with the exception of not having a Kolek on the mound.

15 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Coach Villaneuva is probably a great coach and a fine gentleman, but coaching in Livingston takes a SPECIAL BREED of CAT. Polk County is a different place and if you don't know what you are getting into then you are better off staying away. Broussard was an outsider and he failed miserably. To coach in Livingston, you have to know the kids, the families, the situation and the culture.

As far as Shepherd Baseball, you are struggling to get a decent coach. The one you had this year wasn't much better than Villaneuva. What is the problem with Pirate Baseball, with the exception of not having a Kolek on the mound.

I will say this again for all who didn't understand. Coach V. was and seemed to be a good football coach. I never said he wasn't. I said his time in Shepherd as the baseball coach didn't go well or end well. Shepherd has had four Head Baseball coaches in four years. Nobody has ever said Shepherd was a power house baseball program. Even with the Kolek's on the mound Shepherd didn't win a ton. I cannot speak much on Coach Butter. Most folks seemed to like him and talking X's and O's, he knew what he was talking about. This year Shepherd pretty much had a JV team playing varsity and it didn't go well either. The problem in Shepherd is you do not have many kids that can play baseball at a high level, nor do they care too. Then you have the parents and we all know how that goes. 

But I agree with you 100% on Livingston, Only thing I would change is it is not getting to know the all the kids and families, but getting to know the right kids and families. Anyone who know Livingston knows what I mean. 

• Thanks 1