I Regret To Inform East Texas

bordertown

The grass at Grim in Texarkana is soon to be a thing of the past.  I will argue this was the finest grass field in East Texas - an endangered playing surface in modern athletics. How many times have we read first time visitors commenting that it took them a while to figure out it as a natural turf field and not an artificial playing surface? It was immaculately groomed. But TISD will join the flock of shredded tires and synthetic blades of “grass” playing surfaces. I for one am saddened by this so called “progress”.  Goodbye old friend.

• Sad 1

No doubt in my mind Grim had the best grass in the region.  Esp in Sept.

October....no such thing as good turf anymore.

That means every 5A and 6A school in East Texas now has grass.

Jax will be converting next year too.  Nac did last year....same with SS.  I think those were the last ones remaining.

I miss grass fields.  But it's hard to argue it's not better for the game late in the season.  I don't want turf determining outcome.

Welcome to the flock, Tigers.

2 hours ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Or when slower schools run the sprinklers all Thursday night before playing a speedy team. 

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

I would not want turf if I was a school that was usually less athletic than its opponents. The weather is a great equalizer.

I love the grass field. Weather is part of the game. I really like seeing the kids covered in grime from head to toe. It really magnifies the effort that is being put forth unless you are the one that is getting trucked and usually  that will show on the backside!!

44 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

I would not want turf if I was a school that was usually less athletic than its opponents. The weather is a great equalizer.

Sprinklers aren’t weather though. I get trying to get some kind of advantage, but at least man up and say you did it on purpose instead of saying that the sprinklers “accidentally” got left on. 

They must have done something to it in recent years to make it so green, because I played on that field three times in September back in the 80's.  It wasn't as green as I saw in a photo.  I don't know why they're switching to artificial turf, because I always thought it would be easier to get injured on those fields.  I suppose with modern improvements that turf is better than grass in the late fall months when it gets too cold for grass to grow.  

Dave when you played on it, the field was probably average at best. In the late 90’s, TISD contracted with Jim Anglea (former ground keeper for the Texas Rangers) to redo the field. The result was a first class grass field. 

29 minutes ago, bordertown said:

Dave when you played on it, the field was probably average at best. In the late 90’s, TISD contracted with Jim Anglea (former ground keeper for the Texas Rangers) to redo the field. The result was a first class grass field. 

That explains it.  I did go there in October of 1986 for a band competition since my girlfriend at the time was in the band, and it looked beat up from all the games that had been played there.  

23 hours ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Sprinklers aren’t weather though. I get trying to get some kind of advantage, but at least man up and say you did it on purpose instead of saying that the sprinklers “accidentally” got left on. 

Sometimes sprinklers do get left on by accident.......

Well, I would like to thank Grim's grass field for helping defeat Marshall back in 2015 to help Longview win the a share of the district title.

Can't stay I'm not happy it's gone, since between SS and TH it was the only two we've seen in the last 15+ years lol. Definitely changes a little bit of home field advantage.