I Regret To Inform East Texas

bordertown

On 5/2/2018 at 4:31 PM, bordertown said:

Are you building a putting green?

I could make a nice little par 3 if they'd let me have it all.

in all seriousness, I hate to see them go to turf but I understand the maintenance expense that goes along with having the field in that quality throughout the year. 

On 5/2/2018 at 6:54 AM, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Or when slower schools run the sprinklers all Thursday night before playing a speedy team. 

Everyone on their schedule is a speedy team compared to them. 

6 hours ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

And I get that, it just looks fishy when it happens on a Thursday night during football season just before you take on a speedy team. 

Happens in Nederland, Tx all the time. Trust me. And it happens on gameday. 

Just now, MrBuddyGarrity said:

I totally agree 100%. 

The “sprinklers were accidentally left on” excuse is more annoying than anything. If I was told it was done to improve our opponents chances, I would actually be amped up about it. I’d be all like “ Oh yeah!!! Let’s see how that works out for y’all. “ lol

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 10:10 AM, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Last year Huntington said the field was still wet from a storm came through a day or two earlier. The field was the only thing that was wet, everything else was bone dry. lol

Dirty......IF they play on the same field...and I'm sure they do.....back in 10 or 11.......Carthage was in their district and they had a "frog strangling" down pour on Wednesday and on Thursday they brought in 5 dump trucks of sand to help soak up the water and keep the grass from tearing up........Coach Surrant was so upset and so were the kids....the field was SO BAD....was like quicksand!!!!!....starters didn't play but 2-3 series....then they stood in ankle deep mud and water the rest of. the game....

Back in 86-87....Alto was playing Garrison AT Garrison.....and Alto played on a HAY FIELD......with 2"-3" of water on it......Alto was use to short grass.....well they DID have Steve Loftin and a few other "speed burners".....DID slow Alto down...THAT was a miserable game on the sidelines!!!!!.....I think I threw THOSE socks AWAY!!!!....AND my old leather spot-bilt shoes were NEVER the same after that!!!! 

37 minutes ago, ManCaveDweller said:

Dirty......IF they play on the same field...and I'm sure they do.....back in 10 or 11.......Carthage was in their district and they had a "frog strangling" down pour on Wednesday and on Thursday they brought in 5 dump trucks of sand to help soak up the water and keep the grass from tearing up........Coach Surrant was so upset and so were the kids....the field was SO BAD....was like quicksand!!!!!....starters didn't play but 2-3 series....then they stood in ankle deep mud and water the rest of. the game....

Back in 86-87....Alto was playing Garrison AT Garrison.....and Alto played on a HAY FIELD......with 2"-3" of water on it......Alto was use to short grass.....well they DID have Steve Loftin and a few other "speed burners".....DID slow Alto down...THAT was a miserable game on the sidelines!!!!!.....I think I threw THOSE socks AWAY!!!!....AND my old leather spot-bilt shoes were NEVER the same after that!!!! 

Well sometimes teams play in the same wind. If one team is a run heavy team and the other is a pass heavy team and the wind is howling, are both teams at the same disadvantage?

3 hours ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

BTW ManCave, go get on a wet field and run full speed and try to make a cut. Now, jog and try to make a cut. See how much easier it was to cut while going slower? lol

Dirty....I have been able to cut GREAT ALL MY LIFE.....for those of you who "didn't get it".....YES I AM SLOW even on a "fast" field

I asked my brother if he ever played on the field back when he was a Freshman and Sophomore in 64 and 65, and he said that Tiger Stadium at Grim Park was originally built and used by the Texarkana College Bulldogs. He said one of our cousins was the quarterback of the team at the time, and my Dad would take him to games to see him play. He said the High School didn't begin playing there until the early 70's.  As most of us know Texarkana College shut down it's entire athletic department in 2012.

On 5/4/2018 at 4:50 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I asked my brother if he ever played on the field back when he was a Freshman and Sophomore in 64 and 65, and he said that Tiger Stadium at Grim Park was originally built and used by the Texarkana College Bulldogs. He said one of our cousins was the quarterback of the team at the time, and my Dad would take him to games to see him play. He said the High School didn't begin playing there until the early 70's.  As most of us know Texarkana College shut down it's entire athletic department in 2012.

Think you got some bad information.  Grim stadium was built by TISD.  Watty Myers was instrumental in getting the stadium built.  Texarkana College simply paid rent to play there.  I can remember going there in 63 and 64 when Texas High had big games against the likes of Galena Park and Garland.  The big season in 65 when the Tigers were number 1 and played Dennison and Dallas Hillcrest there in the playoffs.  I personally played in Grim in 1967 in the Milk Bowl when the all-stars of the Jaycee flag football team played a tackle game with TISD coaches.  Playing there for Pine St. junior high and later for Texas High.  I recall the Texarkana Titans of the old Texas Football League and their big games with the San Antonio Toros and others.  I do remember going to a couple of Texarkana College games when they were highly ranked in the 60's.  Also,  when Dr. Cady shut the athletic program down at TC for lack of revenue.  Texarkana College never owned any football stadium and the Texas High athletic dept. did not want them playing there because of the grass field.  Have heard that A&M may eventually start a NCAA div 2 program,  however,  they plan on building their own stadium on their new campus.  Sad to see the grass field go,  a lot of history in that stadium.

On 5/4/2018 at 8:52 AM, ManCaveDweller said:

Alto's old field was something else ... we played there, during that time you mention, following a good rain the night before ... the red dirt stained our uniforms and equipment so badly that we never did get the red out despite four times through the wash cycle ... 

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, ManCaveDweller said:

I wasn't around back in 86/97 so I will have to take your word for it.  Garrison has one of the better grass fields around East Texas these days.  It is slightly "crowned"   in the middle and well drained and the grass holds up well.  I know they have put a lot of work into it since the stadium was rebuilt.  I still haven't gotten used to them switching the home side to the old visitors side ... 

13 hours ago, Slimbodine said:

Think you got some bad information.  Grim stadium was built by TISD.  Watty Myers was instrumental in getting the stadium built.  Texarkana College simply paid rent to play there.  I can remember going there in 63 and 64 when Texas High had big games against the likes of Galena Park and Garland.  The big season in 65 when the Tigers were number 1 and played Dennison and Dallas Hillcrest there in the playoffs.  I personally played in Grim in 1967 in the Milk Bowl when the all-stars of the Jaycee flag football team played a tackle game with TISD coaches.  Playing there for Pine St. junior high and later for Texas High.  I recall the Texarkana Titans of the old Texas Football League and their big games with the San Antonio Toros and others.  I do remember going to a couple of Texarkana College games when they were highly ranked in the 60's.  Also,  when Dr. Cady shut the athletic program down at TC for lack of revenue.  Texarkana College never owned any football stadium and the Texas High athletic dept. did not want them playing there because of the grass field.  Have heard that A&M may eventually start a NCAA div 2 program,  however,  they plan on building their own stadium on their new campus.  Sad to see the grass field go,  a lot of history in that stadium.

My brother didn't tell me about that, but I assumed it was true, because I saw it on one website that it was 1970.  Maybe they did some renovation to the stadium that year.  Their official site lists 1953.   

On 5/6/2018 at 8:12 AM, DOB said:

Alto's old field was something else ... we played there, during that time you mention, following a good rain the night before ... the red dirt stained our uniforms and equipment so badly that we never did get the red out despite four times through the wash cycle ... 

DOB....The RED DIRT.....AND those FINE  dressing facilities..........THAT my friend was a disadvantage if there ever was one!!!!!!

21 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

My brother didn't tell me about that, but I assumed it was true, because I saw it on one website that it was 1970.  Maybe they did some renovation to the stadium that year.  Their official site lists 1953.   

arkansas high's stadium was opened in the early 70s. I honestly can't believe that grimm was ever renovated between 1950 and 2006? when they did the complete remodel. that place was in bad shape for a while.