Defending Trips out a 4-3

Who has or knows the best scheme on how to defend trips out of the 4-3?  I have my backside corner manned up vs. #1. To the trips side , I have my C over #1, SS over #2 and Sam walked out. FS playing like a center fielder over the center if ball is in middle of the field. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjohnson said:

Who has or knows the best scheme on how to defend trips out of the 4-3?  I have my backside corner manned up vs. #1. To the trips side , I have my C over #1, SS over #2 and Sam walked out. FS playing like a center fielder over the center if ball is in middle of the field. 

Cover 1 (man free) is not a bad way to go if you've got the dudes to do it. Asking an OLB to carry #3 vertical is sometimes a tough ask and you better have a lock down guy  at CB to the single receiver side.

q o 

1     2       3       ooxoo                               o

C    $            S       M                W                

FS                                            C

Play "Special" to the trips side. Man #1 with your corner. Banjo(combo man) 2 and 3 with your Strong Safety and Free Safety meaning strong safety has the first outside cut of 2 and 3 and free safety has first inside cut of 2-3. If they both go vertical Strong has 2 and Free has 3. Use the Sam to low wall/reroute 3 to prevent the quick hitch or slant. Your mike can spy the QB or banjo the RB with the Will LB....or you can play a sky technique with the will and the corner to the single WR. Meaning the corner can play off with the Will playing under the single WR. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, jimmyjohnson said:

Yes sir , that’s what i was thinking but we don’t have the kids for that. What’s your opinion on the better alternative?

Play Cover 4 (Quarters) - Roll Safety down on #2 and make it look like Cover 3/1 - At snap bail to 2 high, cover 4 look.

LB's read high hat/low hat. OLB to trips side has flats, ILB has hook to curl. OLB to single receiver side plays hook to curl to flats.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Play Cover 4 (Quarters) - Roll Safety down on #2 and make it look like Cover 3/1 - At snap bail to 2 high, cover 4 look.

LB's read high hat/low hat. OLB to trips side has flats, ILB has hook to curl. OLB to single receiver side plays hook to curl to flats.  

Then I’m screwed with the bubbles and fast screens to trips side

3 minutes ago, jimmyjohnson said:

Then I’m screwed with the bubbles and fast screens to trips side

Pick your poison dude. Let em throw short then rally to the ball. 

OLB reads bubble then he goes straight to it. Only option.

You can run cover 2 read, but you better have corners that are smart and can flip their hips and run as soon as #1 breaks that cushion.

48 minutes ago, EastTX2dabone said:

q o 

1     2       3       ooxoo                               o

C    $            S       M                W                

FS                                            C

Play "Special" to the trips side. Man #1 with your corner. Banjo(combo man) 2 and 3 with your Strong Safety and Free Safety meaning strong safety has the first outside cut of 2 and 3 and free safety has first inside cut of 2-3. If they both go vertical Strong has 2 and Free has 3. Use the Sam to low wall/reroute 3 to prevent the quick hitch or slant. Your mike can spy the QB or banjo the RB with the Will LB....or you can play a sky technique with the will and the corner to the single WR. Meaning the corner can play off with the Will playing under the single WR. 

Palms defense

1                               3                                        o     o

2                                                 o  o  O  o  o                                    1

B(Flats)                                    E    T      T     E                                C

B           B        

c (1/4)                     s (1/4)                                                         s (1/2)

• Thanks 2

Ive always thought aggressive is the way to go. Unless you are greatly out manned on defense. Always blitz off edge w quickest lb or safety.  Alternating n disguising sides. Esp if qb isn't very athletic. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting ... truly an open-ended trap scenario.  So many variables in that brief set of factors - Over, Under ... 5,6,7 in box ... 4,5,6 in coverage with variations of hangers in each ... backfield alignment ...TE or not included - to and from Trips ... Trips to wide or short side ... and on and on.  All good DC's have their rules and then each one of those rules have an exception.

A "One size fits all" portfolio ain't gonna cut it.  And your only as good as you can teach ... because schemes have to play out on grass.

And ... if the goal is just trying to impress someone, make sure you're the last one with the chalk.  That usually does the trick.

But have more than just one way to play it, cause the OC on the other sideline may have brought his own chalk.

When all else fails, play it like you're trying to catch a good knuckleball - wait till it stops rolling and then pick it up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bootleg11 said:

Palms

Conventional Cover 3

Cloud 3

1/4 1/4 1/2

We use these 4.  We play palms on the goalline FWIW.

I should mention when we played conventional cover 3 or cloud 3 we play man on the single side, Will has back out weak

• Thanks 1

it really depends on the kids you have and what trips scenario you have. is # 1 , 2 or 3 on the line because if its number 2 you have to get that point. # 1 and 3 lead to different concepts. I know a lot of coaches who put the deepest route on the line of scrimmage. They also vary outside run and inside run with # 1 or 3 on the line.  Like said many times no cookie cutter way of doing it or you will get beat. 

A lot of film time to figure out tendencies, know what your kids strong/weak points are, and reps will help all of the ways to play any version of above mentioned secondary play. You just have to be faithful to it and not go back and forth on the kids. Otherwise you will be bad at all of them. At least that's my opinion.

we play it a few differnt ways

Q TB

2         3

1                            T  G  C  G  T                           1

E    3T    N      E                        C (Man)

S(Flat)               M            W

C(1/3)

R(Roll to H/C)                     F/S( Middle 1/3 eyes 3-2)

Will also flip responsibilities of Sam and Rover.  Also as stated above go 1/4-1/4-1/2.  Also a diff way we have is bring the Willy over and bump Sam to #2.  Have Sam get Flats, Willy H/C and play 1/4s with CB/R .  Drop Free down to play run and if gets pass read he plays MOF

• Thanks 1