AT&T To Host State Championship Games in '18 and '19

AT&T Stadium to host 2018 & 2019 UIL Football Championship Games

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, TX — All University Interscholastic League football state championship games will be played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington for the 2018 and 2019 seasons, the UIL announced Wednesday.

The 11-man and six-man football championship games will be played at AT&T Stadium, with a schedule placing all 12 games in a four-day span. The 2018 championship games will take place December 19-22.

“We are pleased to bring the UIL Football State Championships back to AT&T Stadium for another two years,” said UIL Executive Director Dr. Charles Breithaupt. “The UIL is excited to showcase the best high school football in Texas during this unique championship experience.”

The UIL has determined the site of the largest conference state championships since 2006, and all conferences have played at pre-determined locations since 2010. AT&T Stadium hosted all 11-man championship games from 2011-2014 and 2016-17. The six-man championship games were hosted at AT&T Stadium 2016-17.

Just now, topher805 said:

San Antonio can host the Final Four, but can't host High School State Championships...

Locker room situation is a little different in basketball than it is in football. And the football playing surface is below average in comparison to AT&T and the replay screens are far below AT&T and the experience is not even close. Kids want to play in AT&T, adults just need to accept that fact.

• Like 3

Houston can with no doubt blame themselves for the poor turnout when they had their shot. 

BUUUUUTTT....

In fairness....that season was “plagued” by a lot of newbie 5A and 6A schools in titles games that haven’t been open long enough to have large alumni bases not football perigee.   

THAT is what killed Houston imho. 

Having played in both stadiums NRG and Cowboys I will say this Cowboys stadium is the place to have it. The people that work there go out of their way to make the experience great for the kids and all involved. NRG acted like they were doing us a favor by letting us play there. To quote Keyshawn Johnson” it is like comparing a shining start to a flashlight.” And the flashlights that we had back in the 80s and 90s not these high text LED stuff of recent years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sure. The deserve another shot. 

San Antonio does too if the Lockeroom and turf issues are worked out. 

But end of they day..... if they can’t reproduce something similar to what Arlington does..... the decision will likely be a simple one. 

I love AT&T stadium.  All of the seats are comfortable.  The food was good.  The view is decent.  Just trying to get to the stadium in Houston is the worst experience... the rest of it is fine (as a fan).

I’d drive to the Sun Bowl if Marshall was playing for a state title. 

I’ve driven to Little Rock, Fort Smith, and Monroe  for non-District games. No great shakes. Lol. 

50 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I love AT&T stadium.  All of the seats are comfortable.  The food was good.  The view is decent.  Just trying to get to the stadium in Houston is the worst experience... the rest of it is fine (as a fan).

I went to a few of Ennis' playoff games at AT&T Stadium (including the 2014 State Title game). The only real complaint I had was the JerryTron 5000 was distracting. I kept looking up to watch the game instead of just for replays.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Sure. The deserve another shot. 

San Antonio does too if the Lockeroom and turf issues are worked out. 

But end of they day..... if they can’t reproduce something similar to what Arlington does..... the decision will likely be a simple one. 

That's why these places don't need to recreate what AT&T does, but instead create their own unique experience. I have no doubts San Antonio could. Houston has the ability to as well, especially when the Astrodome project is completed.. 

17 hours ago, centex1 said:

Having played in both stadiums NRG and Cowboys I will say this Cowboys stadium is the place to have it. The people that work there go out of their way to make the experience great for the kids and all involved. NRG acted like they were doing us a favor by letting us play there. To quote Keyshawn Johnson” it is like comparing a shining start to a flashlight.” And the flashlights that we had back in the 80s and 90s not these high text LED stuff of recent years. 

You are exactly right. NRG is not Coach friendly, media friendly or player friendly. Instead of making you feel like you have earned the right to play there, NRG makes you feel like a homeless bum squatting in a Beverly Hill mansion. AT&T is the exact opposite, they cater to the Players, Coaches and take care of the media as well. The difference in the two experiences is night and day.

• Like 1

Yeah, Centex1 is exactly right - NRG treated their guests (teams, schools, fans) like they were doing us a favor and we were a pain in their @$$es that weekend. Looking forward to enjoy seeing my team play for a fourth consecutive title in my hometown, I was really disappointed in the experience. Still, I would hope they learned their lesson, and that the Alamodome gets their stuff together, because a LOT of small-school teams and fans would like to have their title games on the weekend instead of on Thursday.

2 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

Yeah, Centex1 is exactly right - NRG treated their guests (teams, schools, fans) like they were doing us a favor and we were a pain in their @$$es that weekend. Looking forward to enjoy seeing my team play for a fourth consecutive title in my hometown, I was really disappointed in the experience. Still, I would hope they learned their lesson, and that the Alamodome gets their stuff together, because a LOT of small-school teams and fans would like to have their title games on the weekend instead of on Thursday.

it doesn't matter where the state championships are held..... small schools will be on thursday.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

I think the UIL is committed to having all games at ONE site., for the foreseeable future.

Oh, yeah, for logistical reasons, and I get that. Also, because it's easier for Fox Sports to only have to set up their broadcast from one location. And I get that there's favoritism toward the 5A and 6A teams because they bring larger crowds, i.e. more customers. BUT, it's still not right that smaller schools and their fans are "punished" for not bringing a larger customer base. Smaller schools who EARN their appearances in state title games just like larger schools do are relegated to having to MISS SCHOOL DAYS to compete in these title games, they have to deal with SHORTER WEEKS TO PREPARE, and they have lots of just-as-dedicated fans who MISS OUT on getting to attend these games in person because they are working people who can't take off work to make the trip to attend on Wednesday and Thursday. I look forward to more parity in this situation, and through discussions with other small-school fans I know I am not alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 88YoePride said:

Oh, yeah, for logistical reasons, and I get that. Also, because it's easier for Fox Sports to only have to set up their broadcast from one location. And I get that there's favoritism toward the 5A and 6A teams because they bring larger crowds, i.e. more customers. BUT, it's still not right that smaller schools and their fans are "punished" for not bringing a larger customer base. Smaller schools who EARN their appearances in state title games just like larger schools do are relegated to having to MISS SCHOOL DAYS to compete in these title games, they have to deal with SHORTER WEEKS TO PREPARE, and they have lots of just-as-dedicated fans who MISS OUT on getting to attend these games in person because they are working people who can't take off work to make the trip to attend on Wednesday and Thursday. I look forward to more parity in this situation, and through discussions with other small-school fans I know I am not alone.

It also doesn't give the smaller teams that have 2 way players to heal up before the title game givin they have the shorter week to get ready you play on a Saturday and have your next game on a thursday and it could hurt teams.... They say player safety is number 1 but then give they only 4 days to heal up

• Like 1

Also note that less eyes would be on the lower classification  schools if two locations were being used concurrently.  I am sure that the higher classification schools would get the TV time in return prohibiting the people from the smaller schools that cannot make the game or choose not to attend to watching it on TV. I doubt that there would be enough potential revenue generated to prompt having two broadcasts set up.

Logistically there are issues. Like it or not, most things come down to a business decision.

2 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Also note that less eyes would be on the lower classification  schools if two locations were being used concurrently.  I am sure that the higher classification schools would get the TV time in return prohibiting the people from the smaller schools that cannot make the game or choose not to attend to watching it on TV. I doubt that there would be enough potential revenue generated to prompt having two broadcasts set up.

Logistically there are issues. Like it or not, most things come down to a business decision.

As has been pointed out - and I can tell you I have been told this by many fans who have missed Thu title games over the last six years - These people would walk to Albuquerqe to see their boys play for a championship. Don't have to worry about whether they'll watch a broadcast.

They aren't going back to split locations.  It has proven far too lucrative, not to mention popular, to have the single site.  

Basketball, Volleyball, baseball, and softball all have small schools play during the week and their fans show up..... why should football be any different.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

It also doesn't give the smaller teams that have 2 way players to heal up before the title game givin they have the shorter week to get ready you play on a Saturday and have your next game on a thursday and it could hurt teams.... They say player safety is number 1 but then give they only 4 days to heal up

This would be a Coach problem. It's really easy to solve that issue. If you think you have a chance to play in the State Championship game (and it falls on a Thursday) then start playing your playoff games on Thursdays after the 2nd or 3rd one. Easy solution.

19 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

Honestly, the fix to this is easy.  Week 10 for 1A through 3A should finish a week earlier than 4A-6A... then you have 2 championship weekends with the schedule being something like:

12:00 3:30 and 7:00 for start times on Friday and Saturday.  Getting something like Cowboys Stadium 2 weekends in a row would be the challenge.

15 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

As has been pointed out - and I can tell you I have been told this by many fans who have missed Thu title games over the last six years - These people would walk to Albuquerqe to see their boys play for a championship. Don't have to worry about whether they'll watch a broadcast.

No, I have not been told anything.  Logic tells me that if you have two games going on at the same time, one being a higher classification than the other, the higher classification team will garner the TV coverage because of more potential eyes on that game.  It is more than just seats being filled in the stadium, it is total revenue.  Another thing to consider is that there are high school football fans that make this an annual event where they take the time off to attend all of the games.  It would potentially lessen the overall attendance to some degree for multiple locations.

I understand the idea of playing in prime time but the overall economics do not lend itself in doing so.

4 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Honestly, the fix to this is easy.  Week 10 for 1A through 3A should finish a week earlier than 4A-6A... then you have 2 championship weekends with the schedule being something like:

12:00 3:30 and 7:00 for start times on Friday and Saturday.  Getting something like Cowboys Stadium 2 weekends in a row would be the challenge.

Do not see this happening either.  IMO expanding the HS playoffs allowing more and more teams into the playoffs was done mainly for revenue generation with a bit of "let us make everyone a winner" mentality.  I would expect having the "set up" costs for two weekends versus one weekend would cut into the profits.

2 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Do not see this happening either.  IMO expanding the HS playoffs allowing more and more teams into the playoffs was done mainly for revenue generation with a bit of "let us make everyone a winner" mentality.  I would expect having the "set up" costs for two weekends versus one weekend would cut into the profits.

Exactly, it won’t ever happen.  It’s more about dollars and less about sense.

• Like 1