Sportscaster Warner Wolf arrested for removing 'plantation' letters from Florida community's sign

Longtime sportscaster Warner Wolf, 81, turned himself in Thursday for removing the letters of the word "plantation" from a Florida community's sign on Nov. 30.

Longtime sportscaster Warner Wolf, 81, turned himself in Thursday for removing the letters of the word "plantation" from a Florida community's sign on Nov. 30. (Collier County Sheriff's Office)

Longtime sportscaster Warner Wolf was arrested this week in Florida for removing letters from a sign at his private gated community that spelled the word "plantation," officials said.

Wolf, 81, turned himself in Thursday for breaking off the letters of the word from the "Classics Plantation Estates" sign in East Naples on Nov. 30, officials said.

svg+xml;base64,PHN2ZyB3aWR0aD0iNzkiIGhla
svg+xml;base64,PHN2ZyB4bWxucz0iaHR0cDovL

"He had his opinions about how it was a racist word and he didn’t feel that it should be in the name of (a) community, although plenty of communities throughout Florida use that name," property manager Ken Heff told the Naples Daily News.

The arrest report also said Wolf found the word offensive because of its historic context, according to Fort Myers' WINK-TV.

Warner Wolf turned himself in and was arrested Thursday for removing the letters of the word "plantation" from the "Classics Plantation Estates" on Nov. 30.

Warner Wolf turned himself in and was arrested Thursday for removing the letters of the word "plantation" from the "Classics Plantation Estates" on Nov. 30. (Collier County Sheriff's Office)

Wolf hopped into the community's fountain and used a tool to take down the word, the station reported, citing the arrest report. He drove up to the gate at the community on Dec. 13 and handed the security guard the broken "plantation" letters with instructions to give them to the property manager, the arrest report said.

He faces a felony charge of criminal mischief, an arrest report from the Collier County Sheriff's Office said.

Wolf was released from jail after posting a $5,000 bond.

The sports host was formerly the play-by-play announcer for "Monday Night Baseball" on ABC in the 1970s. He also appeared in the 1985 film "Rocky IV," playing himself. More recently, Wolf did sports reports for former radio host Don Imus.

He's known for the catchphrase, "Let's go to the videotape!"

This guy wouldn't know the difference between a farm, a ranch, or a plantation if he thinks only slaves have worked on plantations or share cropped for that matter.  http://mshistorynow.mdah.state.ms.us/articles/228/farmers-without-land-the-plight-of-white-tenant-farmers-and-sharecroppers .  I have proof that some of my great Aunts and Uncles were both share croppers and tenant farmers.  

• Mr. P changed the title to 🤪 Social Justice Weirdos

They are getting pathetic.  Raising them as theybe's isn't the way either.  It's like tattoos when they became popular, almost everyone had to get one.  Now it's trans surgery.  It's amazing the God hasn't destroyed a city in this day and age.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I'm not buying this.  I think it's fake news.  I tried to find articles on it, and nothing from a legitimate source.  My account is still open with no letter, and I'm a Trump supporter now.  

Not finding much on it myself but also not finding anything saying it is fake news either. 

• Mr. P changed the title to ❄️ Social Justice Weirdos ruin everything