Alvarez out at Ennis, Takes HC/AD job at Copperas Cove...

Monte1076

3 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

I would like to hear from the Ennis fans on how they feel about this.

Honestly, it came as a surprise to me. I honestly thought this season we might be on the cusp of making another deep run.

That said, my understanding is that a lot of people are kinda split between wanting Coach Harrell back, and promoting a long-time Ennis coach from within.

I don't know where they're looking at this point. I don't even know if they're going to do like some schools do and appoint an "interim" coach for a year, and make the hire next offseason.

7 hours ago, Lion70 said:

Be kinda cool if they went for Harrell sons and followed the South lake Carrol approach.  I could totally be wrong on that but all are in coaching . Graham , Clark zack whichever the one in available I believe there are three of them so .....

According to his Twitter, Zac left Van this spring and is now the OC at Waxahachie. 

5 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Honestly, it came as a surprise to me. I honestly thought this season we might be on the cusp of making another deep run.

That said, my understanding is that a lot of people are kinda split between wanting Coach Harrell back, and promoting a long-time Ennis coach from within.

I don't know where they're looking at this point. I don't even know if they're going to do like some schools do and appoint an "interim" coach for a year, and make the hire next offseason.

Yeah because it would be hard to find the right coach at this time of the year.

3 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

The hard part, I think, is going to be installing an offense on a limited time frame.

Yeah seeing that y’all are use to running the the wing-t. Unless the new coach leaves it until the following season.

6 minutes ago, justforfun18 said:

I'm sorry Ennis... But wow!!! Excited to see what he can do in the cove... known his name for a long time now... the man gets programs back on the map.. hope he can bring the same to that tradition...

Playoffs six of his seven years here in Ennis. Even got to the playoffs in Kirbyville. Copperas Cove got themselves a good one.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, cujoforlife said:

Yeah seeing that y’all are use to running the the wing-t. Unless the new coach leaves it until the following season.

That's a great point. That's why I'm wondering who they're going to bring in. But remember when Alvarez was hired, we went from a spread to a multi-formation "Wing T" with Alvarez. So there's no telling. I haven't heard anything about who we're considering, either. As I said earlier, it seems like some fans are torn between trying to bring back Coach (Sam) Harrell or promoting a long-time coach from within.

14 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

That's a great point. That's why I'm wondering who they're going to bring in. But remember when Alvarez was hired, we went from a spread to a multi-formation "Wing T" with Alvarez. So there's no telling. I haven't heard anything about who we're considering, either. As I said earlier, it seems like some fans are torn between trying to bring back Coach (Sam) Harrell or promoting a long-time coach from within.

Only time will tell.

This is definitely interesting from an 11-6A/12-6A point of view.

Cove is one of the two teams in 12-6A out of Cove/Waco/Temple that need to make the playoffs to push Midway to Division I.

I've always wanted Longview to play Cove, and a bi-district match would be a fun one for sure.

Its Ennis. The name and tradition alone will bring people out the woodworks for this job. If they open this up don´t be surprised of the names interested in this one.. even though its super late and may have to be building on the run come football season. Saying that. Staying internal if the right man is there may be the best bet being this late in the game. 

1 hour ago, Slickarick said:

Its Ennis. The name and tradition alone will bring people out the woodworks for this job. If they open this up don´t be surprised of the names interested in this one.. even though its super late and may have to be building on the run come football season. Saying that. Staying internal if the right man is there may be the best bet being this late in the game. 

It's short notice, though. At this point it would have to be a relatively quick hire. And I'm guessing that since it's an end of the school year hire, that the team will be allowed two-a-days to get up to speed on installing a new offense/defense.

59 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

It's short notice, though. At this point it would have to be a relatively quick hire. And I'm guessing that since it's an end of the school year hire, that the team will be allowed two-a-days to get up to speed on installing a new offense/defense.

Having just gone through spring ball they will be unable to practice until Aug 13th.  They may be able to have ¨Camps" the week before to help out but nothing mandatory or with pads.  Puts them behind the 8 ball a little bit.

15 minutes ago, Slickarick said:

Having just gone through spring ball they will be unable to practice until Aug 13th.  They may be able to have ¨Camps" the week before to help out but nothing mandatory or with pads.  Puts them behind the 8 ball a little bit.

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure of the rules there. I didn't know if changing coaches allowed for an exception or not, but your post makes sense.

I'm still really curious which names will surface, and when the hire will be made.

3 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

I have a cousin who told me that "a lot of top tier" coaches are interested in the Ennis job, but he said he didn't hear any names.

Im sure, just speculating but maybe a Mofett( SP), Wigginton, or a sitton may want this job. These are just a few.