SFA Head Coach Suspended

Stoney

3 minutes ago, bigdawg16 said:

21-25 in 5 years...can't beat Sam with a stick or even get close for that matter...time for him to go

To be fair, it is four seasons. Makes the mediocrity somewhat better...

I've been all for giving him time to rebuild the roster because it was left in shambles, but the product has been bad. The talent is there, but they seem to be getting worse as a team. This was supposed to be the breakout year, but going down the schedule there are still 3 or 4 losses looming. That doesn't scream breakout to me. 

12 hours ago, Stoney said:

Expand Homer Bryce and get ready for the Big 12/SEC invites.

Homer Bryce holds a maximum of about 14,600 folks in the stands. If you add in the number of people you can sit on the hills the capacity climbs to about 25,000.

If SFA could add onto each side of the stadium, remove the track and add modest stands on each end of the field they could easily get to a 50,000 seat stadium. SFA has a new scoreboard /videoboard that was the largest in the Southland Conference as of 2016 and an upgraded turf field. 

SFA’s basketball team has proven its quality in recent years and it’d be wild if somehow they found themselves in the Big 12.

I know it’d never happen, but it’d be really cool for SFA to make it into the Big 12.

Also invite LaTech who is pretty good at football and you’re back to twelve teams.

I understand the student populations of those universities isn’t large, but for comparison purposes, Stanford has a total population of about 17,000, while their undergraduates number about 7,000. SFA has about 11,500 and LaTech has about 12,500 undergraduates on campus. Further comparison, the Miami Hurricanes have about 11,000 undergraduates and a total of 17,000 students. 

The Big 12 could require massive football stadium renovations and campus improvements as part of the deal for each school joining the conference. Then create two divisions and a conference championship game held at AT&T every year.

Big 12 North

WVU, ISU, KSU, KU, OSU, LaTech

Big 12 South

UT, OU, BU, TTU, TCU, SFA

Each year each team from the same division plays and each team plays two teams from the other division. In the regular season - mandatory, OU and OSU play each year; UT and OSU play each year; SFA and LaTech play each year. Each year each team plays four OOC games before the first conference game, no SEC style OOC game mid season to basically get an off week. 

15 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I know it’d never happen, but it’d be really cool for SFA to make it into the Big 12.

Also invite LaTech who is pretty good at football and you’re back to twelve teams.

I understand the student populations of those universities isn’t large, but for comparison purposes, Stanford has a population of about 17,000. SFA has about 11,500 and LaTech has about 12,500 undergraduates on campus. The Miami Hurricanes also have about 17,000 students. 

The Big 12 could require massive football stadium renovations and campus improvements as part of the deal for each school joining the conference. Then create two divisions and a conference championship game held at AT&T every year.

Big 12 North

WVU, ISU, KSU, KU, OSU, OU

Big 12 South

UT, LA Tech, BU, TTU, TCU, SFA

Each year each team from the same division plays and each team plays two teams from the other division. In the regular season - mandatory, OU and OSU play each year; UT and OSU play each year; SFA and LaTech play each year. Each year each team plays four OOC games before the first conference game, no SEC style OOC game mid season to basically get an off week. 

Fify

Oklahoma schools would have to be paired together in the same division if that were to happen. 

2 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Fify 

I hear you, but if you do that UT and OU may have to play each other up to three times in one year to make it to the national championship game or win it.

Regular season in Dallas. 

Possible rematch in Arlington for conference title.

Possible third rematch in a semifinal game or the national championship game.

20 hours ago, WETSU said:

Traylor would absolutely be the homerun hire, but I don’t think it’s in his best interest to take it. Imo, if being a Power 5 HC is his goal, becoming a consistent OC then getting a HC gig from there is his best bet. Being the HC at SFA would better prepare him for running a program, but he would get a HC gig quicker by staying at the D1 level imo. He would have to be successful for 4 years at SFA then probably take a job like Houston and then end up somewhere better after another 2-4 years, where as becoming an OC in D1, he might shave 3 years off that if he does well. 

You are spot on. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2018 at 11:02 PM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I understand the student populations of those universities isn’t large, but for comparison purposes, Stanford has a total population of about 17,000, while their undergraduates number about 7,000. SFA has about 11,500 and LaTech has about 12,500 undergraduates on campus. Further comparison, the Miami Hurricanes have about 11,000 undergraduates and a total of 17,000 students. 

Big 12 North

WVU, ISU, KSU, KU, OSU, LaTech

Big 12 South

UT, OU, BU, TTU, TCU, SFA

Man have not checked this board in a while then see this thread.

First all us Orange Clad fans hope that Coach Conque is cleared and allowed to coach many more years at SFA

SFA might want to start with a baseball stadium that is better than a little league park. 

Upgrades to their facilities were soundly defeated a couple of years ago.

As far as enrollment SFA is going to the wrong way and needs to find a way to go the other way

Texas State and University of North Texas would be in line long before others in the State 

2 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

Man have not checked this board in a while then see this thread.

First all us Orange Clad fans hope that Coach Conque is cleared and allowed to coach many more years at SFA

SFA might want to start with a baseball stadium that is better than a little league park. 

Upgrades to their facilities were soundly defeated a couple of years ago.

As far as enrollment SFA is going to the wrong way and needs to find a way to go the other way

Texas State and University of North Texas would be in line long before others in the State 

Some facility upgrades are on their way, just not all that are needed. I really like this new athletic director. Facilities are one of his key points to address.

I'm almost to the point of dropping baseball again, and waiting until we have the facilities in place to bring it back. It is a money pit and we are not competitive at all. Take the money from baseball and put it into soccer and give those ladies some much needed upgrades. WRJ is already in line for some upgrades, including an on-site weight and training room. I would like to see a full practice facility added eventually, but not a dire need at this moment.

As for enrollment, I'm not sure what the plan is there. Ivey (New AD) wants to work closely with the university and help change the direction of enrollment. Athletics is a good way to help make that boost, but more has to be done. 

As for Conque, I don't think you are going to get your wish. Pretty safe to say he is gone and Byrd is taking over for the season. Almost all alumni want Traylor by the spring...

8 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Some facility upgrades are on their way, just not all that are needed. I really like this new athletic director. Facilities are one of his key points to address.

I'm almost to the point of dropping baseball again, and waiting until we have the facilities in place to bring it back. It is a money pit and we are not competitive at all. Take the money from baseball and put it into soccer and give those ladies some much needed upgrades. WRJ is already in line for some upgrades, including an on-site weight and training room. I would like to see a full practice facility added eventually, but not a dire need at this moment.

As for enrollment, I'm not sure what the plan is there. Ivey (New AD) wants to work closely with the university and help change the direction of enrollment. Athletics is a good way to help make that boost, but more has to be done. 

As for Conque, I don't think you are going to get your wish. Pretty safe to say he is gone and Byrd is taking over for the season. Almost all alumni want Traylor by the spring...

Yeah I don't think you have the money to pay Traylor 

Doesn't he make like 350 or so at Ark? Conque was making like 185-200k

1 hour ago, Coach0001 said:

Yeah I don't think you have the money to pay Traylor 

Doesn't he make like 350 or so at Ark? Conque was making like 185-200k

Yeah. Traylor has already outgrown us...I like Carthel at A&M Commerce

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if Carthel makes more now than SFA would pay him...

He's a fun twist to Carthel...Ryan Ivey, the new AD at SFA, originally hired Carthel at Commerce. Ivey is supposed to be a fundraising guru, and one that wants to make SFA more competitive when it comes to salary.

1 minute ago, topher805 said:

He's a fun twist to Carthel...Ryan Ivey, the new AD at SFA, originally hired Carthel at Commerce. Ivey is supposed to be a fundraising guru, and one that wants to make SFA more competitive when it comes to salary.

Well everyone knows Carthel can recruit the right guys...  I guess the biggest question is what’s else is out there for him?  Let’s say something like UTSA or Rice calls... he may not win quickly, but those jobs pay 600-700k...

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

Well everyone knows Carthel can recruit the right guys...  I guess the biggest question is what’s else is out there for him?  Let’s say something like UTSA or Rice calls... he may not win quickly, but those jobs pay 600-700k...

True. The wish list of candidates is bigger than we can swing. Hell, Surratt is in a better financial spot than what SFA can do right now for him.

It's going to take some serious recruiting from Ivey to get the right guy, and even then he is going to require some lofty promises for change to get the program where it needs to be. Frankly though, football is an afterthought for me. Basketball is what is driving the athletic department and has the capability of driving the university into a new era...

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

That would be a heck of a jump from Division 2

4 hours ago, topher805 said:

True. The wish list of candidates is bigger than we can swing. Hell, Surratt is in a better financial spot than what SFA can do right now for him.

It's going to take some serious recruiting from Ivey to get the right guy, and even then he is going to require some lofty promises for change to get the program where it needs to be. Frankly though, football is an afterthought for me. Basketball is what is driving the athletic department and has the capability of driving the university into a new era...

Having a good basketball program wont increase enrollment. A good football program could have an impact.  

5 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Having a good basketball program wont increase enrollment. A good football program could have an impact.  

I think basketball has done more to increase the visibility of our campus than football can do. The visibility doesn't mean much if we cant upgrade academic facilities and perception. The College of Business, which already has a decent rep, is getting a facelift. We also just opened a brand new STEM building, and looks immaculate. Hopefully that can lead to some engineering majors down the road and help capitalize on that market. 

19 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I think basketball has done more to increase the visibility of our campus than football can do. The visibility doesn't mean much if we cant upgrade academic facilities and perception. The College of Business, which already has a decent rep, is getting a facelift. We also just opened a brand new STEM building, and looks immaculate. Hopefully that can lead to some engineering majors down the road and help capitalize on that market. 

I agree on the visibility,  but don't think a good basketball team in east Texas will increase enrollment.  Sounds like some good things happening on Campus. I'm hoping for good things for the football program and university. I think Traylor would be a home run hire and wouldn't be surprised if he was ready to be a Head coach again, even with a pay cut. 

3 hours ago, topher805 said:

Come look around Huntsville for growth and new buildings there are plenty to see!

New 6 story apt building next to campus is unbelievable. 

Enrollment will be rbetween 21k to 22k  this year 

Since the back to back FCS Champ Game Apperances in 2011 and 2012 

Enrollment went up 20% in those 6-7 years 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

Come look around Huntsville for growth and new buildings there are plenty to see!

New 6 story apt building next to campus is unbelievable. 

Enrollment will be rbetween 21k to 22k  this year 

Since the back to back FCS Champ Game Apperances in 2011 and 2012 

Enrollment went up 20% in those 6-7 years 

Preach!  

10 hours ago, eagle34 said:

That would be a heck of a jump from Division 2

That’s why I named 2 pretty obscure programs in FBS :)  the pay would be nice, bc all d1 jobs pay pretty well, but these school can afford to take a chance on a d2 coach.