Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

SFA Head Coach Suspended


Recommended Posts

BTW I do think the new SFA AD will do some good things there he seems dynamic!  Lol our guy at SHSU not so much

Topher you mentioned SFA killing baseball I totally disagree you guys just need a new facility.

If KCK ducks out of town Carthel name has already been talked about on Kat message boards

KC is making 350K at SHSU so I think we could make a play for him

Also looks like the newest Medical School in Texas is about to happen at SHSU! i 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the things that will continue to make Huntsville area grow will be when the approved Interstate 14 is built. This will run from College Station back east into Louisiana -Mississippi  Suppo

May be the beginning of the end of the conque era at SFA either way. I think it is safe to say he has not been the homerun hire they thought they made. 

Yes and University Policy, not NCAA Policy. Aparrently he had an issue with University Policy at Central Arkansas (Employee relationship variety).

No news on Conque's official status with SFA, but rumor has it he is not longer calling Nacogdoches home. They need to make things official and move on. This has been lingering for two months now...

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Hlion said:

University head football coach Clint Conque announced his resignation today.

"Today I announce my decision to step down as the head football coach at Stephen F. Austin," Conque said. "Although I have remained confident in the ongoing investigation into the potential violation of university policy, as a family of faith and out of respect to my profession, I do not want this situation to be a further distraction 

season. I deeply care for my players and wish them great success this season and beyond."

Conque joined the SFA athletic staff in 2014.

"It has been a privilege to serve the university and to work with many outstanding players and coaches – past and present. I am proud of the foundation that is in place both on 

and off the field," he said. "I have arrived at this decision on my own and look to move forward in my career."

SFA Athletic Director Ryan Ivey said the department is appreciative of Conque's years of service as head football coach.

"At this point we remain 

focused on the 2018 season and the work our student-athletes and staff have done and will continue to do leading up to kickoff on September 1," Ivey said.

According to SFA officials, Jeff Byrd will continue to serve as interim head coach for SFA's football program through the 2018 season.

"We will re-evaluate the leadership 

structure of our team at the conclusion of the year," Ivey said.

For game information, visit sfajacks.com.

Provide link to this article.  The media NAZIs have threatened us before for not providing links to their stories 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Took long enough...All accounts from Homer Bryce have a much more positive environment. Players are welcoming the change and excited to play for Byrd. Apparently Conque ws not well respected by the players...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Took long enough...All accounts from Homer Bryce have a much more positive environment. Players are welcoming the change and excited to play for Byrd. Apparently Conque ws not well respected by the players...

I have a keen interest in that offense this yr. 😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

I have a keen interest in that offense this yr. 😎

With decent offensive line play, that offense will be a lot of fun to watch this year. Interested to see who is QB1 to start the year. Foster Sawyer (TCU transfer) is not a given...Apparently Josh Covey (UT transfer) has been putting in some serious work and is winning over some teammates...Covey said he transferred because he wants to play and is putting in the work to see the field. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Coach0001 said:

What about it Topher Jacks get on the board in this game?

Any chance it’s competitive for any length of time?

Jacks get on the board, but it will not be a competitive game. Don't look for SFA to play their starters very long at all. Maybe a quarter of play or so, but this is a paycheck game and we aren't losing players for the year...I hate these games with a passion...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coach0001 said:

You think they will really sit the starters after a qt?

We lost too many people when we played TCU and Tech in recent years. This is a top-20 team on the road. Depth is not a strong suit...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, topher805 said:

Jacks get on the board, but it will not be a competitive game. Don't look for SFA to play their starters very long at all. Maybe a quarter of play or so, but this is a paycheck game and we aren't losing players for the year...I hate these games with a passion...

Sitting starters after a quarter is a good way to not get asked to play any of these big schools any more..........Not sure of the financial gain, but I bet they help SFA's budget a lot..........I am not saying you are incorrect because they very well could do it...............Just saying they better think before they do it...............This coming from an SFA grad who loves to see our sports teams do good

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2018 at 10:01 PM, bigdawg16 said:

21-25 in 5 years...can't beat Sam with a stick or even get close for that matter...time for him to go

I’ve never been able to pin down why Sam has dominated that rivalry the way they have. I’ve seen both campuses and facilities, and it appears to me that SFA is way ahead in that department. Is it the fact that Sam has had more consistency in coaching? They do seem to have a better pipeline of Houston area players, so I know location plays a role, but the two programs just seem to be operating on different levels. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I’ve never been able to pin down why Sam has dominated that rivalry the way they have. I’ve seen both campuses and facilities, and it appears to me that SFA is way ahead in that department. Is it the fact that Sam has had more consistency in coaching? They do seem to have a better pipeline of Houston area players, so I know location plays a role, but the two programs just seem to be operating on different levels. 

Simple. Sam is the superior program, especially in football. No explanation needed...thats just the way it is, lol. 😜

Seriously though, think it's a combination of Sam getting good head coaches (current & one before) and a little luck with some FBS transfers the last 6-7 years. And, like you said, the Houston area pipeline. 

EAT 'EM UP,  KATS!!!! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I’ve never been able to pin down why Sam has dominated that rivalry the way they have. I’ve seen both campuses and facilities, and it appears to me that SFA is way ahead in that department. Is it the fact that Sam has had more consistency in coaching? They do seem to have a better pipeline of Houston area players, so I know location plays a role, but the two programs just seem to be operating on different levels. 

When is the last time you were in Huntsville?

Not sure whet facilities you are talking about?

Way ahead in that dept?  SFA tried to upgrade their facilities last year and the effort failed miserably.

Enrollment SHSU over 22,000 SFA 12,000

Building SHSU can’t build dorms fast enough Several new ones just opened.

Brand new multi million dollar Construction building built last year. Big renovation to the Student Center in progress. 

Out of state company just built 6 story luxury apartment complex next to campus.

Their is construction going on all over the place because of the continued increase in enrollment.

Endowmnets tell the story of a Universty SH is double SFAs 

The pipeline from Houston still strong. But there are more students from all over the state than ever before, Why because of foresight and strategic recruiting. SH has a paid recruiter in DFW San Antonio and Austin. They focus on on one High School per year. That has worked to really bring more students in.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

When is the last time you were in Huntsville?

Not sure whet facilities you are talking about?

Way ahead in that dept?  SFA tried to upgrade their facilities last year and the effort failed miserably.

Enrollment SHSU over 22,000 SFA 12,000

Building SHSU can’t build dorms fast enough Several new ones just opened.

Brand new multi million dollar Construction building built last year. Big renovation to the Student Center in progress. 

Out of state company just built 6 story luxury apartment complex next to campus.

Their is construction going on all over the place because of the continued increase in enrollment.

Endowmnets tell the story of a Universty SH is double SFAs 

The pipeline from Houston still strong. But there are more students from all over the state than ever before, Why because of foresight and strategic recruiting. SH has a paid recruiter in DFW San Antonio and Austin. They focus on on one High School per year. That has worked to really bring more students in.

 

 

I was on campus at Sam last fall. Granted, I was not able to take a full campus tour (my daughter was trying to decide between Sam and SFA), because we were only there for a few hours on Saturday. That’s why I was asking. I didn’t have time to look past the window dressing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I was on campus at Sam last fall. Granted, I was not able to take a full campus tour (my daughter was trying to decide between Sam and SFA), because we were only there for a few hours on Saturday. That’s why I was asking. I didn’t have time to look past the window dressing. 

One of the things that will continue to make Huntsville area grow will be when the approved Interstate 14 is built. This will run from College Station back east into Louisiana -Mississippi 

Supposed to cross 45 on N Side of Huntsville 

Also I-45 is being made 6 lanes through the area to accommodate the growth.

SFA needs to find a way to increase enrollment and quickly. I would love to see their football program strong also. It would improve the Conference overall.

A strong SFA program would also make the Battle of the Piney woods at NRG even bigger.

Right now there are usually 25-28k fans there but 19-20 are in Orange. 35-40 and evenly split would make for a better event.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll post my thoughts on the differences later when I get to my computer, but in short form, SFA needs a change at the top. Baker Patillo did great things, but it is time for new blood and a new vision. The new student center is great and the STEM building is amazing, but enrollment is a hot topic right now. I think athletics has their guy in Ryan Ivey and he will help take our athletic program to a new level with basketball leading the way. Facilities and fundraising are priority #1 for Ivey and they should be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I was on campus at Sam last fall. Granted, I was not able to take a full campus tour (my daughter was trying to decide between Sam and SFA), because we were only there for a few hours on Saturday. That’s why I was asking. I didn’t have time to look past the window dressing. 

So, I'm assuming she picked sfa? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

One of the things that will continue to make Huntsville area grow will be when the approved Interstate 14 is built. This will run from College Station back east into Louisiana -Mississippi 

Supposed to cross 45 on N Side of Huntsville 

Also I-45 is being made 6 lanes through the area to accommodate the growth.

SFA needs to find a way to increase enrollment and quickly. I would love to see their football program strong also. It would improve the Conference overall.

A strong SFA program would also make the Battle of the Piney woods at NRG even bigger.

Right now there are usually 25-28k fans there but 19-20 are in Orange. 35-40 and evenly split would make for a better event.

North of Brookview neighborhood? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...