2a preseason rankings dave campbell

lionpride08

I believe they got it right in both D1 and D2 when it comes to the #1 teams. Mart (especially!) should have a cake walk. It’s going to be interesting to see these two play in pre-district Week 5. Very excited to see Alto make its climb back to the top. Not many outside of Alto are expecting much based on last season, but trust me! We will be back.....and soon!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hlion said:

Kinda interesting not seeing Tenaha moved up in class. and Carlisle anymore. I understand why but they usually get some pre season love and both changing coaches well kinda of for Carlisle. The lack of East Texas teams just doesn't do it for me. 

They have a habit of purposely ranking teams from all 4 regions in their top 10 ... I believe to sell magazines ... some of the teams they rank in pre season will disappear soon enough come playoff time ...

Edited by KirtFalcon

For D1 I agree for the most part.  Maybe not the order, but most of the teams listed are legit top-10 IMO.   I'm not sure why they put Bosqueville at #5.  Without going into detail, knowing what we lost to graduation and what's coming back at certain positions I just don't see it.  Top 25 team, maybe.  Be nice if the kids proved me wrong though.

D2 looks like it's Mart's to lose.

DCTF is talking out both sides of their mouth as usual. In their spring edition, they ranked District 11AA D1 (Beckville, Garrison, Harleton, Joaquin, Linden-Kildare, Tenaha, Timpson) as “the toughest AA district in the state.” Then they release their preseason rankings without a single team out of that district in the top ten. Polls are just a gimmick to sell magazines.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

DCTF is talking out both sides of their mouth as usual. In their spring edition, they ranked District 11AA D1 (Beckville, Garrison, Harleton, Joaquin, Linden-Kildare, Tenaha, Timpson) as “the toughest AA district in the state.” Then they release their preseason rankings without a single team out of that district in the top ten. Polls are just a gimmick to sell magazines.

Exactly, I guess they forgot about what they said back then.  DCTF is out to sell magazines, if they leave out any of the regions it will hurt their magazine sales.  You will never convince me that they REALLY think those are the top 10 teams in the state .... if they do, they don't know much about football .... many of those teams won't get out of their regions and they know it ....

39 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Exactly, I guess they forgot about what they said back then.  DCTF is out to sell magazines, if they leave out any of the regions it will hurt their magazine sales.  You will never convince me that they REALLY think those are the top 10 teams in the state .... if they do, they don't know much about football .... many of those teams won't get out of their regions and they know it ....

I can guarantee that at least 6 of the top 10 in each division won’t get out of their region. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I can guarantee that at least 6 of the top 10 in each division won’t get out of their region. 

Well that's true ... but there are some regions (like ours) that probably have 5 or more teams that should be in the top 10 ..... my point is several of those teams in each division ARE NOT top 10 teams and DCTF knows it ....

On 6/20/2018 at 7:00 AM, Hlion said:

Kinda interesting not seeing Tenaha moved up in class. and Carlisle anymore. I understand why but they usually get some pre season love and both changing coaches well kinda of for Carlisle. The lack of East Texas teams just doesn't do it for me. 

I behind the times, where did Horn go?

1 hour ago, Ronster23 said:

I behind the times, where did Horn go?

Resigned a coupla months ago. Hasn't gone anywhere yet, that I know of...  but his name keeps getting bandied about.

It's been reported that he was a finalist for jobs in Pecos and Daingerfield. Don't know about Pecos but D'field gossips say he wanted too much money for them. 

Assuming that this years info comes from last years staff, or whomever is in charge during the time the questionnaire is sent out...I would like to thank Strickland for the plethora of info he submitted for our teams district info.  I know we don't have a ton to write about, but geez...say something.  (And yes my son is mentioned, so it isn't about that)

• Sad 1

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:00 AM, Hlion said:

Spoiler Alert...Tenaha, Timpson and Carlisle are on the expanded list.  Tenaha is picked #1 in their district.  

• LOL! 1

25 minutes ago, MUSTANGMANIA said:

Assuming that this years info comes from last years staff, or whomever is in charge during the time the questionnaire is sent out...I would like to thank Strickland for the plethora of info he submitted for our teams district info.  I know we don't have a ton to write about, but geez...say something.  (And yes my son is mentioned, so it isn't about that)

yup...sad he couldn't take the time to give seniors a mention...I have a contact at DCTF and she stated they do not edit out names, but print all that are given by the coach...guess it would have taken a little bit of effort

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, MUSTANGMANIA said:

Spoiler Alert...Tenaha, Timpson and Carlisle are on the expanded list.  Tenaha is picked #1 in their district.  

Good. I hope they pick us to struggle again. I prefer our kids feeling like they have something to prove.

9 hours ago, Greezychef said:

With 0 playoff wins in last ten years....don't they?

Correct. They do. I also prefer that my team not be the one dealing with the rat poison that useless magazines put out. I can think of at least one other East Texas team that has been declared a powerhouse based on its reputation of years past, and they have been pretty underwhelming the last couple of years. I just don’t want my team reading a bunch of hype written by people who have never seen them play and know next to nothing about small school football. 

Lovelady and Bremond are ranked way too high in Div II and San Augustine should be be a couple of notches higher in Div I. Grapeland most likely wins Lovelady's district so I would put the Sandies at perhaps 10. And no, as a Sandies fan I'm not being partial. We beat Lovelady in non-district last year and defeated Evadale in the playoffs, both in come-from-behind fashion. I have Grapeland, Evadale, Lovelady, and Colmesneil in that order of finish in our district. 

On 6/23/2018 at 7:32 AM, trueblue82 said:

Correct. They do. I also prefer that my team not be the one dealing with the rat poison that useless magazines put out. I can think of at least one other East Texas team that has been declared a powerhouse based on its reputation of years past, and they have been pretty underwhelming the last couple of years. I just don’t want my team reading a bunch of hype written by people who have never seen them play and know next to nothing about small school football. 

I've always felt that Grapeland being ranked #1 in 2A in the '92 edition of DCTF was the kiss of death for us. Right off the bat Mabank upset us, then we reeled off 3 convincing wins in a row, then beat Coldspring (who got blown out by Southlake Carroll in the 3A state title game that December) in the non-district finale. What nobody realized at the time was we suffered a slew of injuries in that game that nagged us the rest of that season and we were fortunate to be district runners-up. Instead of a state championship we got beat by Waskom in the Area round. So much for that limb Mr. Campbell went out on.

11 minutes ago, GrapelandSandiePride said:

Lovelady and Bremond are ranked way too high in Div II and San Augustine should be be a couple of notches higher in Div I. Grapeland most likely wins Lovelady's district so I would put the Sandies at perhaps 10. And no, as a Sandies fan I'm not being partial. We beat Lovelady in non-district last year and defeated Evadale in the playoffs, both in come-from-behind fashion. I have Grapeland, Evadale, Lovelady, and Colmesneil in that order of finish in our district. 

S.A lost 4 good players but will reload.  I think Lovelady is pretty stout and will be a tough out in district!

2 minutes ago, SAWolfman said:

S.A lost 4 good players but will reload.  I think Lovelady is pretty stout and will be a tough out in district!

There have been a few instances recently when Lovelady has looked like complete garbage in non-district (including losing to Grapeland when we had bad teams), barely back into the state playoffs during district play, then go 3 or 4 rounds deep. You have to give them this: they know how to turn it up, turn it on, and win when they need to. 

11 hours ago, GrapelandSandiePride said:

You’re in for a BIG surprise if that’s the order you have them finishing! It’s a 2 horse race with Lovelady 1. and Grapeland 2.  Big drop off after that. 

34 minutes ago, LLIONPRIDE said:

You’re in for a BIG surprise if that’s the order you have them finishing! It’s a 2 horse race with Lovelady 1. and Grapeland 2.  Big drop off after that. 

Evadale's offense can be very explosive if firing on all cylinders. Lovelady may have the best defense in the district but Grapeland has perhaps the best QB in school history. If he has to shoulder the load he's willing to.

On 6/30/2018 at 12:07 PM, GrapelandSandiePride said:

There have been a few instances recently when Lovelady has looked like complete garbage in non-district (including losing to Grapeland when we had bad teams), barely back into the state playoffs during district play, then go 3 or 4 rounds deep. You have to give them this: they know how to turn it up, turn it on, and win when they need to. 

I just don’t know what year your thinking of because I don’t have a clue what your talking about. LL is 8-3 against grapeland that’s as far as MaxPreps goes back. The 3 years in a row we had good runs in the playoffs we play y’all twice and won both by a lot. Last year we only won one playoff game by 2 points. Your other two grapeland wins LL had losing records

On 6/30/2018 at 11:59 PM, GrapelandSandiePride said:

Evadale's offense can be very explosive if firing on all cylinders. Lovelady may have the best defense in the district but Grapeland has perhaps the best QB in school history. If he has to shoulder the load he's willing to.

Fair enough take on your part. Our offense this year very well could be the strength of this team. Our WR depth this year is going to be a matchup nightmare for a lot of defenses. And we will have a QB that can get it to them. Should be an exciting year!