dave campbell 3a d2 preseason rankings

lionpride08

12 hours ago, Hlion said:

They will be beat not by any 3a team but going undefeated is asking a lot from that schedule

I agree, Newton is loaded, that's why they made such a tough non district schedule, but I remember in '16 Newton beat every 4a team on their schedule, and still didn't win the 3a championship, Js. 

18 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Their offense is not better than ours but they have a better defense.I would put our offense up against anyone 

It was good enough to string several state championships together ... I'd say it is better ...

31 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

It was good enough to string several state championships together ... I'd say it is better ...

Defense wins championships and that’s what they had but numbers don’t lie our offense is top notch just haven’t had the defense to match 

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

The WOS defense got them their state championships. If you remember, it was one of the best ever when it came to points allowed. It's no secret that Gilmer's defense has struggled the past few years, really been in a decline since Boyd and Hurt were there. But the WOS offense does not compare to Gilmer's. Gilmer passing game is un-matched in 4A, or at least it has been. I'm not sure what will happen with the new QB, whomever it may be. I haven't heard near as much as I did 2 years ago when Poppy was coming up, so.....

14 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

The WOS defense got them their state championships. If you remember, it was one of the best ever when it came to points allowed. It's no secret that Gilmer's defense has struggled the past few years, really been in a decline since Boyd and Hurt were there. But the WOS offense does not compare to Gilmer's. Gilmer passing game is un-matched in 4A, or at least it has been. I'm not sure what will happen with the new QB, whomever it may be. I haven't heard near as much as I did 2 years ago when Poppy was coming up, so.....

You know you are about to open that 1983 can of worms again

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Defense wins championships and that’s what they had but numbers don’t lie our offense is top notch just haven’t had the defense to match 

You probably sacrifice defense for some of your offensive success.

1 hour ago, rykerx144 said:

Depth MIGHT be a factor late but if you have a weak D you will not beat Newton. 

Unless Newton has a weak D. If depth is ever to bother Newton, it will be against Gilmer. They're going to stretch the field in every way they can.

I would like to think Gilmer wins this game, but I just don't know about it. I feel like too much rides on whomever Gilmer's next QB will be. With Poppy throwing, I would pick Gilmer and feel good about it, but I am not sure Gilmer has another QB quite like him coming up. 

Anyone have any info on who the next Gilmer QB will be??

16 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Unless Newton has a weak D. If depth is ever to bother Newton, it will be against Gilmer. They're going to stretch the field in every way they can.

I would like to think Gilmer wins this game, but I just don't know about it. I feel like too much rides on whomever Gilmer's next QB will be. With Poppy throwing, I would pick Gilmer and feel good about it, but I am not sure Gilmer has another QB quite like him coming up. 

Anyone have any info on who the next Gilmer QB will be??

Will most likely be Cade Camp bigger kid lost a close Qb battle to poppy. Has a good arm but we will run the ball more this yr with Webb coming back but we will have some athletes on the outside.

40 minutes ago, Nick2011 said:

Not being negative, just being honest. Newton is capable of hanging with Gilmer, but the depth difference might be the deciding factor! I might have to come watch when y’all play the buckeyes! 

Lol said the same about west rusk and the same about Gunter.  We have depth and will probably field more guys than gilmer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 1

10 minutes ago, Eagles97 said:

Lol said the same about west rusk and the same about Gunter.  We have depth and will probably field more guys than gilmer. 

We ain’t Gunter or west rusk and y’all will not field close to as many as we do I seen how many kids y’all had last yr 

16 minutes ago, Eagles97 said:

I can believe it, yall roster was bigger than 2 of the teams in our local 5A district last yr (Lee and Ozen, which was pretty shocking honestly) 

• Thumbs Down 1

18 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Playing the best players (winning) > loyalty to upperclassmen 

But that's just me. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Man I know. Coaches do this for a living. They are gonna attempt to do what they think is best.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Eagles97 said:

More guys no. But y’all will by far have the better athletes. 

• Thumbs Down 1

17 minutes ago, EastTxFinest said:

Newton will compete against both. I'm going out on a limb and say The Eagles beat the Buckeyes with ball control and get the W.

If Gilmer is Gilmer then they won’t like a physical opponent. 

• Thumbs Down 1