Official 2018-2019 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

cujoforlife

10 hours ago, PackAttack said:

You don't know what the heck your talking about. Most in Lufkin are making assumptions too, so don't  feel alone. 

Since I got that info from guys that are on the team. I would say that is pretty reliable.

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

Since I got that info from guys that are on the team. I would say that is pretty reliable.

You still don't know what your talking about. His hand is not broken. He has thrown passes in practice the last two days or do I need to send you a picture. He has an issue with one finger on his LEFT hand, not his throwing hand. Doesn't matter either way, we have two great back ups this year,  wouldn't need him to beat Nacogdoches anyway.

On 8/15/2018 at 12:49 AM, Mavchamp said:

I'm pulling for Nac....only because they've suffered so long.  But going 6-1 is VERY BOLD for a program that's won very little the last couple of years.

I'm pulling for PT for about the same reason I am Nac.  And if PT can find a defense.... their offense should be very good. Always seems like it is at least.  Their coaching staff is loaded with experience.  And last year may have been the first step in the right direction by ending that LONGGGG playoff drought.

Hallsville was shockingly un-Hallsville like last season.  I honestly have NO IDEA what to expect from them.  They generally have a pretty good defense and an offense that's "good enough".  They had neither last season. It'll be interesting to see how year #2 goes for Drennon and staff.

Jacksonville seems to have made progress last season.  Finally got back into the playoffs.  Looks like they have good numbers returning.  BUT.... playing 10 road games can't be overlooked.  That's just brutal.  And if things start slowly for them..... it may be a hard thing to overcome.

MP has had some serious numbers problems lately.  They've had to cancel sub-varsity games because of lack of players because they are playing varsity.  Defense has struggled mightily the last few years.... and they haven't had a star offensive players (like Cannon) in a couple of years.  

Marshall has high expectations.  Reports from camp have been good....but just because things look good on paper...we have to prove on the field.  We have a tall order opening with Lee, Longview, and Carthage.  Hard to gauge.  The talent is there.  But we have to perform.

Honestly.... I have NO IDEA what to expect from Lindale and Whitehouse.  WH was a playoff team last year... and they had an outstanding summer... advancing to College Station for 7 on 7.  So clearly they have a good nucleus of players in place.  A matter of improving from last season.... and transitioning the success of 7 on 7 into the real thing.

Lindale....no idea.  But this is what I DO know about the Eagles..... they play hard... no matter how much of an underdog they are.  I know they game Ennis, Lufkin, and John Tyler fits when they were in a district together.  Do I even need to mention that 2015 playoff game Vs Marshall.  It was brutal. If they can give those guys trouble.... there is no reason to believe you can snub your nose to Lindale.

JMHO.  No gimmies.  

Lindale had a very good team I’m thinking that 2015 season? Not that talented, especially on offense that i can remember. But a very good “team”. Went to Abe, ran to the middle of the field that night if I’m not mistaken and almost won. 

54 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Lindale had a very good team I’m thinking that 2015 season? Not that talented, especially on offense that i can remember. But a very good “team”. Went to Abe, ran to the middle of the field that night if I’m not mistaken and almost won. 

Was that the year they had the HC son starting at QB? Think he was a 2yr starter, they made the playoffs I believe one of those years. 

Yes the coach’s son was the qb that year. That year was full of close games for Lindale. Lost by 1 point to Nac. and Lufkin( could have won the Lufkin game if they would have made the go ahead field goal at the end of the game), lost to Ennis on like the last play of the game, was leading JT with half the 4th quarter left in the game, and lost to Marshall 21-17 first round of the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Soooo.... according to the 5A sports page.... this is how they expect things to shake down for 9-5A DIV II in the playoffs:

Region III- Bi-district 
W9 Marshall (6-4, 6-1) vs F10 Bryan Rudder (6-4, 4-3)    THEY PICK MARSHALL TO WIN 
R12 Crosby (6-4, 6-1) vs T11 Houston Waltrip (7-3, 6-2)

W10 A&M Consolidated (10-0, 7-0) vs F9 Jacksonville (6-4, 4-3) THEY PICK AMC TO WIN
R11 Fort Bend Marshall (9-1, 7-1) vs T12 Vidor (7-3, 4-3)

W11 Manvel (10-0, 8-0) vs F12 Nederland (6-4, 4-3)
R10 Huntsville (7-3, 6-1) vs T9 Whitehouse (6-4, 5-2) THEY PICK HUNTSVILLE TO WIN

W12 Port Neches-Groves (10-0, 7-0) vs F11 Fort Bend Willowridge (6-4, 5-3) 
R9 Lindale (6-4, 6-1) vs T10 Montgomery (5-5, 5-2) THEY PICK LINDALE TO WIN

----------------
Region III- AREA
W9 Marshall (7-4) vs R12 Crosby (7-4)  THEY PICK CROSBY TO WIN 
W10 A&M Consolidated (11-0) vs R11 Fort Bend Marshall (10-1)

W11 Manvel (11-0) vs R10 Huntsville (8-3)
W12 Port Neches-Groves (11-0) vs R9 Lindale (7-4) THEY PICK PNG TO WIN

------------

Region III-  Regional Semi-finals
R12 Crosby (8-4) vs W10 A&M Consolidated (12-0)
W11 Manvel (12-0) vs W12 Port Neches-Groves (12-0)

Read more: http://texxas5asports.proboards.com/thread/6746/2018-5a-playoff-projections-updated#ixzz5ONYtYJuI

-------------------------------------

It looks like Bryan Rudder is a  good bet for the first round of the playoffs should the Mavs take care of business and win the district championship.  That means the game would be at Maverick Stadium.

They are predicting Crosby in the Area round for Marshall.  Lufkin would be a PRIME spot for this game because it's would be as equidistant as you can get between the two.  I'd like to think we could take care of business and win this game.  But there are no gimmies.. and the Mavs need to prove they can win in the post season again.  

Round 3, if we get that far looks like it would be A&M Consolidated.   That would be a KILLER game.  I have mad respect for AMC.  We played them in the playoffs back in 1995 at the Cotton Bowl.  I saw them Vs. Longview in the playoffs a couple of years ago.  So they have a rich tradition.  Marshall last advanced to the region semis in 2015.  This could end up on the I-35 corridor.  They played Longview in Midlothian a few years ago in the playoffs.

If we managed to beat AMC..... the likely favorite for the next match-up in the quarterfinals (region finals) would be PNG...who has an incredibly rich playoff history.   Marshall last advanced to the quarterfinals in 2005.  Another trip to Lufkin?

In the Semifinals it would likely be Kerrville Tivy.   Game could be in Waco.  Maybe at Baylor or Waco ISD?

State championship could be Aledo.  Enough said about that.

Bryan Rudder
Crosby
A&M Consolidated
Port Neches Groves
Kerrville Tivy
Aledo

Killer road...... and who knows.... it may be none of the above.  The beauty of the game!

----------------------------

For the record.... in Div I.... 

They are predicting Lufkin to win the state championship
They have John Tyler losing in the 3rd round to Lufkin 
They don't have Texas High in the playoffs... they took West Mesquite and McKinney North

Interesting stuff.

4 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Was that the year they had the HC son starting at QB? Think he was a 2yr starter, they made the playoffs I believe one of those years. 

Not sure. The defense if i remember correctly and I’m thinking running back was the best thing about them that year though. Well coached too

21 hours ago, PackAttack said:

You still don't know what your talking about. His hand is not broken. He has thrown passes in practice the last two days or do I need to send you a picture. He has an issue with one finger on his LEFT hand, not his throwing hand. Doesn't matter either way, we have two great back ups this year,  wouldn't need him to beat Nacogdoches anyway.

Last I checked the finger is part of the hand, and as of my post last Tuesday he was not throwing passes. I get it you don't like Nac., I didn't say anything about what was needed to beat Nac or not,you should beat Nac. You are the preseason #1 team in 5a Division 1, Nac is ranked 336 in Division 2,the game shouldn't even be close. Enjoy your season Pack Attack and pack007.

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

Last I checked the finger is part of the hand, and as of my post last Tuesday he was not throwing passes. I get it you don't like Nac., I didn't say anything about what was needed to beat Nac or not,you should beat Nac. You are the preseason #1 team in 5a Division 1, Nac is ranked 336 in Division 2,the game shouldn't even be close. Enjoy your season Pack Attack and pack007.

Your being way too technical my friend. An injury to a whole hand  is much worse sounding than if someone has an injured finger.  It is his non throwing hand as well. He has been dressed out at practice tossing a few passes every practice this week as he recovers . Never said I don't like Nac , you created that illusion.  Don't care how Nac does this season, except for one game. Ride the range on whomever you want to after Sept 7th, cause we don't care. Same as I feel about the Longview game, big rivalry, big TV game, two highly ranked teams from two classifications. It should be a Dandy of a game but after August 31st, no need to think about that anymore. They will go their 6A way and we'll go our 5A way. Simple as that. The same with DII Nacogdoches and the same with you thinking about us after our game. More important fish to fry down the road for all of us concerned. It actually doesn't matter IF Thomas plays or not early on in the grand scheme of things. Lufkin is very lucky to have two very capable backup quarterbacks who can run all the same stuff very efficiently. So it's more about our team's long run here and not the short term. There has to be a logical healing process in all of this for the sake of Thomas himself. Doctor's call.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 2

On 8/16/2018 at 1:13 PM, Jakeelee86 said:

Yes the coach’s son was the qb that year. That year was full of close games for Lindale. Lost by 1 point to Nac. and Lufkin( could have won the Lufkin game if they would have made the go ahead field goal at the end of the game), lost to Ennis on like the last play of the game, was leading JT with half the 4th quarter left in the game, and lost to Marshall 21-17 first round of the playoffs. 

Jakelee. How is lindale looking this year. I haven't heard much 

Firstandgoal they looked decent in the scrimmage last night. Not great but not bad. Definitely some bright spots( qb looks good) and for sure some areas that need tweaking(defense). First scrimmage of the year though. I feel optimistic. They do look better than last year

22 hours ago, Jakeelee86 said:

Firstandgoal they looked decent in the scrimmage last night. Not great but not bad. Definitely some bright spots( qb looks good) and for sure some areas that need tweaking(defense). First scrimmage of the year though. I feel optimistic. They do look better than last year

Thanks for the recap. Glad were looking a little better. Hopefully this next scrimmage will help before the 1st game. 

On 8/15/2018 at 8:33 PM, Mavchamp said:

Got a good transfer from Tatum. 

Jakobi Mitchell. Expected to start is what I hear. 

Seems like many are leaving Tatum.

Longview picked up Shannon Jackson II from them. RB.

One of several transfers for LV this year.

ETSN.fm has been counting down the top games of 2018.... and a couple of games have popped involving some 5A teams....  I'm sure there will be others with 5 more to be named.

#11:  John Tyler Vs. Cedar Hill
#7:  Carthage Vs. Marshall

Obviously Long/Lufkin will be #1...... but there's a chance 2, 3, 4, and 5 could include some 5A more teams.

They are also counting down the 5A/6A top 10 in ETx......

What they got so far:

6.  Texas High Tigers
 7.  Whitehouse Wildcats
 8.  Jacksonville Indians
 9.  Sulphur Springs Wildcats
10.  Pine Tree Pirates

No secret who 1 and 2 will be..... so 3, 4, and 5 should be interesting.

TBH...... I got a feeling about PT this season.  I could be wrong... but..... I'm not going  to be shocked.