cujoforlife

41 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall had 5 football players sign letters today:

1.  Tahj Washington- Memphis
2.  Brevin Randle- SFA
3.  Jeremiah Hood-  Houston Baptist
4.  Dekendrick Bender- Southern Arkansas
5.  Marcus Bledsoe- Louisiana College

Champ Mathis signed with Texas A&M- Commerce, but listed DeSoto HS as his school.

Congrats to these young men.... not only to continue playing a great game...but to get an education as well.

Figures he would put DeSoto smh. 

BOYS BASKETBALL

GAME 12
Lufkin beat JT 66-47
Nacogdoches beat WH 39-26
Hallsville beat Marshall 66-61
Pine Tree beat Jacksonville 64-57

BOYS STANDINGS
Nacogdoches (11-1)
Lufkin (11-1)
Pine Tree (8-4)
John Tyler (6-6)
Hallsville (5-7)
Marshall (4-8)
Jacksonville (2-10)
Whitehouse (0-12)

------------------------------------------

GIRLS BASKETBALL

GAME 14
Lufkin beat JT 53-33
Hallsville beat Marshall
Jacksonville beat Pine Tree 77-20
Nacogdoches beat Whitehouse

GIRLS STANDINGS
Lufkin (14-0)*
Jacksonville (12-2)*
John Tyler (8-6)*
Hallsville (8-6)*

Marshall (5-9)
Nacogdoches (5-9)
Pine Tree (3-11)
Whitehouse (2-12)

21 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

I just put that on there because someone on here would have brought up SFA, it was preemptive strike:) 

22 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Wouldn’t want SFA if it was available they want too much money and plus they keep the concessions since it’s Aramark.

Asking too much money is one thing, but wherever you play the game, the place or school that hosts will keep the money from concessions.  The only money that the two schools playing will receive is after gym rental fee, officials, and workers are paid.  If there is money left over from the gate after this, it will be split between each school.  In the playoffs, you have to add UIL's % into that also.  

Hearing some rumbles concerning possible schedule changes for the Mavs in 2020. 

Obviously re-alignment plays a part.   I don’t predict anyone from 5A-D1 dropping down. Also don’t expect anyone from 4A-D1 to move up. 

The only question is keeping SS and Greenville north and the current district staying south (and in region III). 

Could Nac move up to D1?  Seems unlikely.  

So the question is......  IF things basically stay the same in the next alignment... who would you want to see in your non district schedule?

imho:

1.  Drop Tyler Lee and pick up a 5A Div I program from East Texas.  John Tyler?  Lufkin?  Both would be good choices. 

2.  Not going to happen... but drop Longview.  It’s an unpopular opinion. But I don’t see the point anymore.   JMHO.  Again.... I’d rather see the slot go to a school closer in enrollment to us.  Another 5A Div I team perhaps. 

3.  The Marshall-Carthage game could grow to be a huge game.  Considering the storms just before the game last season.... still had a good crowd.  Put it on a good weather night and it’s a sellout.  

Anyone else?

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Obviously re-alignment plays a part.   I don’t predict anyone from 5A-D1 dropping down. Also don’t expect anyone from 4A-D1 to move up. 

The only question is keeping SS and Greenville north and the current district staying south (and in region III). 

So the question is......  IF things basically stay the same in the next alignment... who would you want to see in your non district schedule?

imho:

1.  Drop Tyler Lee and pick up a 5A Div I program from East Texas.  John Tyler?  Lufkin?  Both would be good choices. 

2.  Not going to happen... but drop Longview.  It’s an unpopular opinion. But I don’t see the point anymore.   JMHO.  Again.... I’d rather see the slot go to a school closer in enrollment to us.  Another 5A Div I team perhaps. 

3.  The Marshall-Carthage game could grow to be a huge game.  Considering the storms just before the game last season.... still had a good crowd.  Put it on a good weather night and it’s a sellout.  

Anyone else?

Me personally I would love to see a Marshall Lufkin football game it’s been long time.

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

imho:

Anyone else?

I think Marshall vs. Texas High (most years) would be an intriguing match up. 

Marshall vs. Lufkin would be a good match up as well, but with Lufkin already having 5A Div II NAC on their schedule every year, I don't think playing down would be beneficial to LP.

Marshall vs. JT is an interesting idea.

I agree.  

If Texas high bounces back in 2019... I like the matchup.  But if they continue to trend downward... not sure it helps us much. 

I like a Lufkin match up too. While we are in the same classification as Nac.... we’re in very different places.  Hopefully LP would consider that. 

JT would be a great match up. Would be interesting if they could work it out. 

8 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree.  

If Texas high bounces back in 2019... I like the matchup.  But if they continue to trend downward... not sure it helps us much. 

I like a Lufkin match up too. While we are in the same classification as Nac.... we’re in very different places.  Hopefully LP would consider that. 

Texas High won't stay down.....just like Marshall, too much history and too many athletes to struggle long term.....and with the history between MHS and THS to me it's a no brainer.

And I can't believe I'm saying this, but with the disparity in numbers between LHS and MHS (the Lobos being basically two classifications higher than the Mavs) making a MHS/LHS match-up anything but a level playing field, THS / MHS just makes sense......playing the Mavs really doesn't help the Lobos either.....like I said, I know not playing the lobos is a blasphemous idea, but sooner or later we need to face reality.....playing THS and JT/Lufkin would be a little more beneficial to everybody IMO.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree.  

If you don't wanna play Longview...why play Lufkin? Same caliber team as Longview...

3 hours ago, gtee2 said:

If you don't wanna play Longview...why play Lufkin? Same caliber team as Longview...

Longview’s playoff record the last 10 years says otherwise.  

No one in East Texas 5A/6A is anywhere near where Longview is right now.

4 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

If Nac and LP both win Tuesday, they will play a 3rd time for the District Championship.

3rd game will be Friday, February 15th in Nac at 7pm.

Glad we won the toss. Besides the DC Nac needs the number 1 seed we don’t want to see Lancaster till the regional tournament if we make it that far.

3 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Glad we won the toss. Besides the DC Nac needs the number 1 seed we don’t want to see Lancaster till the regional tournament if we make it that far.

Its time for Nac to step up and win a big game. Our sports programs have not fared very well in bag games over the last 5-6 years. 

1st we have to beat PT in Longview on Tuesday. Then we can move on to worrying about LP. Will be a packed house and a lot of fun!!!!

On 2/7/2019 at 10:18 PM, Mavchamp said:

The sooner this become a reality, the better.

Yes it's nice to have a game 15 minutes away from home and to have a for sure sell out crowd most years. But the game isn't competitive most seasons anymore. Definitely not for the full 48 minutes. 

I have no ill will toward any Maverick out there. I never did. My generation does not know what it's like to hate Marshall. It's just the old 12-5A crew and before that's holding onto it. Move on and find some better match ups for both teams.

It's not like we even play each other in basketball in non-district play. It's been 6 years since we've played in non-district in girls basketball, and 8 in boys basketball. It can be doneeeee.