Official 2018-2019 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

cujoforlife

19 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Well we will have a harder road .it would be nice to see this team make the regional tournament it’s been quite some time.

We have not shot very well the last half of the season. We also got killed on the boards tonight...things have to get cleaned up or it won’t marter who we play in the first round much less who is waiting for us in the 2nd.

East Texas 5A Girls Playoffs Round 2:

Lufkin lost to North Forney 54-48
Texas High beat 58-51
Mesquite Poteet beat Jacksonville 57-40

Only Texas High remains headed into the third round.  They will face North Forney at the Regional tournament tonight.

-----------------------------

BOYS PLAYOFFS ROUND ONE:

Lufkin Vs. Lindale 7PM TUES, JACKSONVILLE
Sulphur Springs Vs. John Tyler 7PM TUESDAY, WILLS POINT
Texas High Vs. Pine Tree 7PM MONDAY, MOUNT VERNON
Nacogdoches Vs. Mount Pleasant- 7PM TUESDAY, ETBU (MARSHALL)

I may make it over to the Nac/MP game.  Hope y'all enjoy Ornelas Gym at ETBU.  It's a fantastic facility to see a game. 

I think baseball season officially starts the regular season today. 

Softball is well underway.

Soccer winding down with the playoffs approaching. 

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

East Texas 5A Girls Playoffs Round 2:

Lufkin lost to North Forney 54-48
Texas High beat 58-51
Mesquite Poteet beat Jacksonville 57-40

Only Texas High remains headed into the third round.  They will face North Forney at the Regional tournament tonight.

-----------------------------

BOYS PLAYOFFS ROUND ONE:

Lufkin Vs. Lindale 7PM TUES, JACKSONVILLE
Sulphur Springs Vs. John Tyler 7PM TUESDAY, WILLS POINT
Texas High Vs. Pine Tree 7PM MONDAY, MOUNT VERNON
Nacogdoches Vs. Mount Pleasant- 7PM TUESDAY, ETBU (MARSHALL)

I may make it over to the Nac/MP game.  Hope y'all enjoy Ornelas Gym at ETBU.  It's a fantastic facility to see a game. 

I think baseball season officially starts the regular season today. 

Softball is well underway.

Soccer winding down with the playoffs approaching. 

Im not sure how it happen, maybe its coaching, or just a good class or two of players, but Sulphur Springs has become a top program in 5a.  Look at their rosters last yr and this yr.  Tons of height for a high school program.  JT is facing a tough task...but I think they have the players to pull it out.  I believe Nac and Lufkin will both win, but JT and Pine Tree games could go either way.

I don't know about this season....but I know last year a lot of the district coaches weren't happy with how UIL and the DEC handled some questions concerning residency of some of the SS players.

Two of them transferred to Waco Midway before this year.

I guess it's all on the up and up.  But it does raise some interesting questions for a school that size to have that many international players over 6'4".

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I don't know about this season....but I know last year a lot of the district coaches weren't happy with how UIL and the DEC handled some questions concerning residency of some of the SS players.

Two of them transferred to Waco Midway before this year.

I guess it's all on the up and up.  But it does raise some interesting questions for a school that size to have that many international players over 6'4".

they are ranked #4 in 5A  and they have some good wins this yr. They beat Rockwall who is a top 10 team in 5a.

and yes, you are right, there has been some questions raised about their players.  

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Texas High usually means business on the court. 

Texas High has historically be a very good district team, but struggled in the first round of the playoffs. Apparently, both teams returned a number of players that split in district in 2018. Think Texas High thought it would be a hard fought game. Hopefully this gives them confidence going into the next round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gtee2 said:

Don't let PT fool you...they were in disarray all year long behind the scene

well they beat JT  twice by a couple of points....but not sure that says much because I don't know if JT basketball is in a better place either.

They took a good loss to Sulphur Springs tonight...although they made it a close game late in 4th qtr.   I think its time to evaluate the bball program at JT.

Area Round- Boys
Lufkin Vs. Mesquite Poteet
Sulphur Springs Vs. #24 Midlothian
#14 Red Oak Vs. Texas High
#1 Lancaster Vs. Nacogdoches

Tough 2nd round for East Texas with 3 of the games Vs. ranked teams. 

The Texas High Lady Tigers lost to North Forney 54-47 in the third round.  So East Texas 5A girls are done.

11 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

well they beat JT  twice by a couple of points....but not sure that says much because I don't know if JT basketball is in a better place either.

They took a good loss to Sulphur Springs tonight...although they made it a close game late in 4th qtr.   I think its time to evaluate the bball program at JT.

Yea I don't know what is going on with JT hoops. 

Boys Soccer Standings

16-5A
Jacksonville 6-1
John Tyler 6-1
Lufkin 4-2-1
Whitehouse 3-4
Pine Tree 3-3-1
Nacogdoches 2-3-2
Marshall 1-6
Hallsville 1-6

15-5A
Mount Pleasant 3-0
Lindale 3-0
Rose City 1-1
Greenville 1-1
Sulphur Springs 0-3
Texas High 0-3

Girls Soccer Standings

16-5A
Jacksonville 6-1
Hallsville 6-1
Whitehouse 3-2-1
John Tyler 2-1-2
Lufkin 2-4-1
Pine Tree 2-4
Nacogdoches 1-3-2
Marshall 1-6

15-5A
Royse City 3-0
Mount Pleasant 3-0
Lindale 1-1
Greenville 1-2
Sulphur Springs 0-3
Texas High 0-2

Girls Standings are a mess with missing games.  But it's the best I could find

4 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Clean the swamp. 

I don't know JT's situation.  But I know they use to be a shoe-in for the regional tourney.  Things cycle in and out.  It's part of the game.  AND....TBH... East Texas has fallen behind the metro school areas in basketball.  Just a plain and simple fact it seems.

Marshall sat at home from the playoffs this year for the first time in 10-15 years that I can recall.  Hard pill to swallow.  But it was bound to happen eventually.

Hopefully things will be better next season.  More was expected of them this season.  Pretty disappointing.  

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

I don't know JT's situation.  But I know they use to be a shoe-in for the regional tourney.  Things cycle in and out.  It's part of the game.  AND....TBH... East Texas has fallen behind the metro school areas in basketball.  Just a plain and simple fact it seems.

Marshall sat at home from the playoffs this year for the first time in 10-15 years that I can recall.  Hard pill to swallow.  But it was bound to happen eventually.

Hopefully things will be better next season.  More was expected of them this season.  Pretty disappointing.  

I don't think its a talent issue at JT.  They actually have talent this yr.  I think its time to go a different direction at the top.

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Area Round- Boys
Lufkin Vs. Mesquite Poteet
Sulphur Springs Vs. #24 Midlothian
#14 Red Oak Vs. Texas High
#1 Lancaster Vs. Nacogdoches

Tough 2nd round for East Texas with 3 of the games Vs. ranked teams. 

The Texas High Lady Tigers lost to North Forney 54-47 in the third round.  So East Texas 5A girls are done.

SS is actually ranked #4 in the state.  

I hate the way TX does its playoffs cause the best teams are usually in the big metro areas and they beat up on each other, while some of the other regions get an easier path for several paths....but I know there is probably not a better way.

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

AND....TBH... East Texas has fallen behind the metro school areas in basketball.  

Been saying it for years. IMO, we don't have the talent out East in 5A/6A to hang with those teams. West Texas is the same way. Reminds me of the valley/San Antonio in football. Bunch of teams like Harlingen, Brandies, Reagan etc rip off good records in their owm area, but once its time to leave SA/valley in the playoffs....you know the rest. Even the Central TX teams are a notch above because they have so much AAU support now.

LV will return much of their team from 26-9, even have a very talented and tall freshman coming in from Foster MS that played summer AAU ball against Lebron's son. I'm sure they'll rip off another good area record but I'm not too optimistic about their abilities outside of East Texas tbh. DFW, Central TX, Austin and Houston are just too strong.