Official 2018-2019 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

cujoforlife

21 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Been saying it for years. IMO, we don't have the talent out East in 5A/6A to hang with those teams. West Texas is the same way. Reminds me of the valley/San Antonio in football. Bunch of teams like Harlingen, Brandies, Reagan etc rip off good records in their owm area, but once its time to leave SA/valley in the playoffs....you know the rest. Even the Central TX teams are a notch above because they have so much AAU support now.

LV will return much of their team from 26-9, even have a very talented and tall freshman coming in from Foster MS that played summer AAU ball against Lebron's son. I'm sure they'll rip off another good area record but I'm not too optimistic about their abilities outside of East Texas tbh. DFW, Central TX, Austin and Houston are just too strong.

Agree. We are behind.  Not sure it changes any time soon  

We have too many multi-sport athletes out here. How many football players go to basketball after football?  A lot usually.  

Whereas those top metro teams are made up of players that play basketball only all year. 

14 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Yup.  Seems to be the consensus. 

6A and 5A for sure. 

Wonder if it will trickle down to the smaller classifications. 

Smaller classifications you get into districts that play basketball year round due to no football program. Martins Mill and Woden come to mind. 

1 minute ago, Nacwagons said:

Smaller classifications you get into districts that play basketball year round due to no football program. Martins Mill and Woden come to mind. 

I meant more 4A,, 3A... where football is still a factor. 

On 2/20/2019 at 10:42 PM, ANTI said:

Been saying it for years. IMO, we don't have the talent out East in 5A/6A to hang with those teams. West Texas is the same way. Reminds me of the valley/San Antonio in football. Bunch of teams like Harlingen, Brandies, Reagan etc rip off good records in their owm area, but once its time to leave SA/valley in the playoffs....you know the rest. Even the Central TX teams are a notch above because they have so much AAU support now.

LV will return much of their team from 26-9, even have a very talented and tall freshman coming in from Foster MS that played summer AAU ball against Lebron's son. I'm sure they'll rip off another good area record but I'm not too optimistic about their abilities outside of East Texas tbh. DFW, Central TX, Austin and Houston are just too strong.

ironically JT's best win this yr was over Longview on a last second shot.

For the most part I agree with what you are saying, although San Antonio does have Judson, Steele, and Smithson Valley in football.

I see the Beaumont area schools do well in basketball, so that gives me hope for East Texas. The problem is that the best basketball players spend a ton of time playing football, and putting football first.  Until East TX schools and the players put more into basketball, nothing is going to change.

But its still a tough challenge because the recruiting that goes on in the big cites for basketball is crazy. These schools get to stack their teams with 4-5 top notch players,who are not supposed to be in the schools in the first place.  Some of it is due to magnet programs, but the others are bending the rules and cheating.  Not sure East TX can match it. 

Lets see what Sulphur Springs basketball will do over the next few weeks. They are ranked #4 in 5a. But some of us suspect they are playing by the big city rules with their players too.

11 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Lancaster defeated Nac 67-43.

Great season for the Dragons!! Co-Champs in a year that not one person picked Nac. to even finish in the top 4!!! 3 Seniors leaving only one starter and a good JV team coming up!! Nana(6Ft 8 ) Coming back as well.

3 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Great season for the Dragons!! Co-Champs in a year that not one person picked Nac. to even finish in the top 4!!! 3 Seniors leaving only one starter and a good JV team coming up!! Nana(6Ft 8 ) Coming back as well.

Meanwhile I just want to know who the football coach will be.

Lady Mav softball team went 5-1 in tournament play this weekend.  They are (10-8) on the season.  They haave played a quality schedule.

Mavs hosted a killer tourney this weekend with state ranked Carthage and state ranked Pleasant Grove participating.

They lost to Carthage 6-5 on Thursday
Lost to PG 3-2 on Thursday
They lost to Carthage and PG again on Friday.
They closed out today with wins over Bastrop (La) 15-6 and 18-2.

They are (4-8) on the season with 5 of those losses to Carthage and PG...who are both top 10.  That's tough.

Last tourney will be this coming week in Hallsville.  They will face Longview on Thursday followed by Center Sulphur Springs and Lucas Lovejoy.  District will start on the 12th.

Interesting note.... the baseball schedules will have each team play the same opponent on the road and at home in the same week instead of rotating through the schedule before facing each other again (PT and Marshall will meet on Tuesday and Friday).  I like this new twist.

16-5A softball will start district play TUESDAY... they are staying with the traditional schedule of playing each team once and then repeating.

District Softball gets started tomorrow for 16-5A.  Looks to be a pretty good race.

Marshall Vs. John Tyler
Hallsville Vs. Whitehouse
Pine Tree Vs. Lufkin
Nacogdoches Vs. Jacksonville

15-5A won't start district until the 19th.

Baseball starts next Tuesday for 16-5A.  

Well, I guess Sulphur Springs has ended the narrative that East TX can't play for a title in 5a/6a.  

Now I know there is probably some questions about their roster, but regardless, they are there.  I think East TX can do it IF the best basketball players stick to basketball...the problem is that most of them play football too.  Bobby Taylor pulled it off at Longview, but he is a once in a generation athlete, and with AAU, basketball has become an all season sport, much like 7 on 7 has done to football.

Good luck to SS, because I want to see East TX win one. (on a side note, I noticed that there are no Houston area teams in the 5a state bracket)

I’d like to know how many of those kids on the SS roster actually grew up in SS. 

Its one thing to have homegrown talent. 

Its another to be running a bed and breakfast for international players looking to land scholarships and possible entry into a D-league for $$$. 

No HS with 1,200 students has than many international students over 6’5”. 

I’m not saying it IS shady.  But it LOOKS shady. 

1 hour ago, foxsportseasttexas said:

Those international students transferred out of the school district along with another starter prior to the school year .  They are playing with Hopkins County raised kids....

Something in the water in Hopkins county....

Cork 6'9"
Kahn 6'6"
Hall 6'5"
Taylor 6'5"
Bryant 6'4"
Willis 6'3"
Roland 6'1"
Johnson 6'1"
Wilkerson 6'0"

Pretty mind boggling for a school the size of SS.

5 hours ago, foxsportseasttexas said:

Those international students transferred out of the school district along with another starter prior to the school year .  They are playing with Hopkins County raised kids....

hmmm....

Regardless. good luck to SS.  the big city schools have been running the "bed  and breakfast" scheme for yrs in athletics, especially basketball