Official 2018-2019 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

cujoforlife

On 4/5/2018 at 10:31 AM, Lion70 said:

Lol been wrong before but honestly if Marshall doesn't win this District out right then they will be the ultimate letdown. On paper Marshall is the favoite but Whitehouse & Nac will be contenders. Making Playoff runs is far greater hurdle. 

Quote of the year from Lion70 - “LOL been wrong before...”

• Like 1

On 2/14/2018 at 8:20 PM, bordertown said:

We all knew that Texas was going to be traveling a lot this season as in the future.

Mavs will be down in Lufkin for their SQT.  A loaded field headed down there.  Will be a killer test.

Also will be at the Tyler SQT..... and supposedly the Rowlett SQT as well.

7 on 7 league.....from what I understand will include Mavs, Carthage, Evangel, and Elysian Fields again this summer (or was is it Waskom?).

-------------

Construction is underway at Maverick Stadium.  The old pressbox has nearly been completely removed.  2nd major upgrade in a year after the new video board last summer.  Improved lighting scheduled to be installed this summer too. 

More to come..... gotta do it in smaller peices to get it all done.

Is projected to be finished in time for the Longview game.

Press%20Box%20Rendering.jpg

Have a feeling restrooms and concessions are next.  It's really all that's left other than an indoor practice facility..... which I think could be coming from an anonymous donor much like the scoreboard did.

On 5/31/2018 at 10:41 PM, Mavchamp said:

Mavs will be down in Lufkin for their SQT.  A loaded field headed down there.  Will be a killer test.

Also will be at the Tyler SQT..... and supposedly the Rowlett SQT as well.

7 on 7 league.....from what I understand will include Mavs, Carthage, Evangel, and Elysian Fields again this summer (or was is it Waskom?).

-------------

Construction is underway at Maverick Stadium.  The old pressbox has nearly been completely removed.  2nd major upgrade in a year after the new video board last summer.  Improved lighting scheduled to be installed this summer too. 

More to come..... gotta do it in smaller peices to get it all done.

Is projected to be finished in time for the Longview game.

Press%20Box%20Rendering.jpg

7v7 league this year is Marshall,Carthage,evangel and Jefferson

• Like 1

Everyone has had their spring games..... holes have been filled (in theory).

7 on 7 leagues and SQTs will be underway.....

Have opinions changed?

Who's the favorite for 7-5A DI?
Favorite for 9-5A DII?
Predicted finishes for both?
Is anyone NOT participating in 7 on 7?
Who are in your 7 on 7 leagues?
What SQTs are your team participating?
Biggest match-ups in non-district?
Biggest district games?

Marshall opened 7 on 7 league play tonight.  They went 3-1 on the night, beating Carthage, Evangel, and Henderson.  They fell to Jefferson.

They will be in Lufkin Friday for the Lufkin SQT.

On 6/4/2018 at 12:07 AM, Mavchamp said:

Everyone has had their spring games..... holes have been filled (in theory).

7 on 7 leagues and SQTs will be underway.....

Have opinions changed?

Who's the favorite for 7-5A DI?
Favorite for 9-5A DII?
Predicted finishes for both?
Is anyone NOT participating in 7 on 7?
Who are in your 7 on 7 leagues?
What SQTs are your team participating?
Biggest match-ups in non-district?
Biggest district games?

Most want to say that JT is the favorite in 7-5A DI, but JT will have to fight for it if they want to be back to where they were. 

Marshall is the team to beat in 9-5A DII. 

JT has four big match-ups in non-district. It will hard to pick one.

I don't know enough about the other schools in 7-5A D1 to make an educated prediction TBH.

Texas High SHOULD be very talented this year.  BUT.... they have gone from being a big fish in a little pond to a little fish in a big pond.  I'm not sure how much that will affect them.  No doubt their new district will be significantly tougher than the one they just left.  Outside of Marshall (and Longview when they were 5A)....they had very little competition when it came to district titles the last 8 years or so.

JT is JT.  I know the Lions kind of collapsed last season, but they usually seem to bounce back after tough seasons like that.  But I honestly have no clue what they have coming back.  But hard to bet against them given their history.

Mesquite Poteet historically has been pretty good of late.  They were state semi-finalist 2 years ago.  Last year was a little down by their standards.  I still think we should have beaten them last year in the playoffs.  We had the ball down by 5 pts with 2 mins left in the game.  We had our shot.  We didn't execute.  Willing to bet Poteet will be improved in 2018.  They have athletes all over the field.

Wylie East squatted last year after losing their man-child Eno Benjamin.  Guess he was as special as everyone said he was.  East was a very good team with him.  Last season was a disaster for them.

Don't know squat about the rest of the teams in that district.  

-----------------

9-5A DII I'm still trying to get a feel for things.

Marshall has a district offensive MVP candidate with JJ in at QB.  And our WR corps might be the best we've ever had.  Which is crazy to think about.  BUT we need a stud RB.  We haven't had that the last couple of years and it's hurt us because it makes us too one dimensional with the passing attack.  We need someone to tote the rock.  Defense has been our downfall of late.  We should be improved this year....but how much?  Last season we struggled with teams that had a stud runner(s) carrying the ball (Tyler Lee, Longview, etc).  We have the potential to be very good this season.  But we still have some question marks.  Mavs are still progressing to get back to where we need to be.  Not there yet.  

MP has been brutal of late.  I want to see them winning again.... but they have a long row to hoe ahead of them.  They've had number problems the last few years and was forced to cancel some sub-varsity games because of it.  Multiple coaching changes.  MP has athletes.  Look no further than their other sports.  Their boys basketball and soccer teams are annually very good.  Just a matter of getting them on the field.  I think the Tigers struggle again in 2018.  But we shall see.

Hallsville is always the biggest question mark for me.  They always seem to under-perform.  They have talent.  They should win more than they do.... Last season was a disaster.  I know some in the community aren't thrilled with their HC hire.  I have a feeling if 2018 goes like 2017....he will be in the hot seat.  I honestly think the Bobcats should compete this season..... but I thought the same last season.  They always have studs all over the field.  Usually can find a good QB too.  Defense always seems to be their downfall.  But lucky for them.... they always have a big pot of "home cooking" at Bobcat Stadium.  They need to win at home... and steal one on the road and they should be in good shape.

Pine Tree broke their LOOOOOOOONG playoff drought last season.  I know most people are still discounting them as "same old Pine Tree".... but I'm not buying it.  PT.... in spite of their records the last 2 seasons have shown a LOT of improvement under their HC.  I think the Pirates are going to be even more improved in 2018.  I expect them to make some noise in district play.  Better not sleep on PT..... maybe.... just maybe... they are starting to turn the corner.  

Lindale.  Here's what I know about the Eagles based on keeping up with them since they moved up to 5A...and our playoff game in 2015.  They might be a small school.... but these guys play hard, tough.... and they will make you pay if you overlook them.  I know they made us sweat in 2015 and almost pulled off the upset.  I know they've made Lufkin sweat.... and JT.... and Ennis.  That's all I need to know.  Lindale should not be underestimated... no matter how much smaller they are than their opponents.

Jacksonville- Are the Indians on their way back to their winning ways.... or was last season a product of a weak district?  Hard to say.  But 2018 is going to be rough IMHO for Jax, who won't be playing a home game all season.  That's killer for a bunch of teenagers.  Not only will they not be playing at the Tomato Bowl, but they only have 4 "home" games.  6 are "on the road".  That's brutal.

Nacogdoches- A couple of years ago I thought Nac had turned the corner and was about to become an annual playoff contender.  But they've squatted of late.  I still want to think Nac is ready to step up and be a contender.  I know there are some hosses down there.  Not really sure what the problem is.  Bad luck?  Just a history of...being Nac?  Lack of athletes?  Coaching?  Lack of community support?  Pulling for Nac.  But TBH... I have to admit I have NO IDEA what Nac has coming back.  Guess I'll wait for the magazine to come out and see what numbers they have.

Whitehouse-  WH there for a while had some studs playing for them.  They had one of the best coaching staffs in the region.  With a new boss in place, it will be interesting to see if the Wildcats can continue their progression after hitting a bump.  WH generally has a high flying offense that will give defenses fits.  Unless the offense is revamped by the new staff, I expect the Wildcats to continue their air assault they have come to be known for.  Defense?  Not something teams in East texas 5A and 6A are generally known for.  I think WH could be a big threat.  But I'll have to wait and see what they have coming back to be sure.  But I expect WH to do well with Ennis gone... and no Lufkin.  

I'll save my order of finish until I see who has what coming back.  Could be a fun race.  

I remember all the "Whitehouse dynasty" talks back in 06, 07, etc from those Wildcat fans.  They claimed they were going to be the boss of East Texas.

Ten years later.... still waiting on that dynasty.

Ten years later....and probably the lowest point in program history.... and we still have had more playoff wins in the last 10 seasons than they have.  lmao.

Dynasty indeed.

#shotsfired #trashtalk

• Like 1

9-5A DII will be well represented in Tyler for the SQT.

Whitehouse

Lindale

Longview Pine Tree

Jacksonville

Marshall

I'm assuming Hallsville, MP, and Nac just aren't participating in 7 on 7.  They haven't been in any SQT's that I've seen.  Are they doing league play?  Just wondering.

Here is the rest of the Tyler Field.  Pools have not been announced yet.

Tyler Lee

Lufkin

Longview

John Tyler

Lindale

Forney

Sulphur Springs

Huntsville

Greenville

Texas High

Pretty good field there.  Not as strong as Lufkin IMHO.....but a solid field for sure.

On 6/9/2018 at 1:39 PM, Mavchamp said:

Hallsville is always the biggest question mark for me.  They always seem to under-perform.  They have talent.  They should win more than they do.... Last season was a disaster.  I know some in the community aren't thrilled with their HC hire.  I have a feeling if 2018 goes like 2017....he will be in the hot seat.  I honestly think the Bobcats should compete this season..... but I thought the same last season.  They always have studs all over the field.  Usually can find a good QB too.  Defense always seems to be their downfall.  But lucky for them.... they always have a big pot of "home cooking" at Bobcat Stadium.  They need to win at home... and steal one on the road and they should be in good shape.

Hallsville?  Hallsville, Texas?  The Hallsville that is between Longview and Marshall?  Are we talking baseball or football?  There may be "a stud" each year all over the field but I have a hard time putting "always", "have" and "studs" in the same sentence.

Lmao. 

Hallsville always has size it seems.  And they always seem to have a strong RB and a pretty good QB.

Good skill position guys. 

Just doesn’t  always seem to gel. ESP on defense. 

Then again.... who in East Texas 5A/6A has played defense for the last 3-4 years????

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Then again.... who in East Texas 5A/6A has played defense for the last 3-4 years????

Longview was very pleasing defensively in 2017. Can't remember a Longview D that caused the amount of turnovers they did, maybe 2012.

15' is grey area because they looked good at times, bad other times, but I'm not the biggest fan of that defense simply because the Lake Ridge and Marshall games. 

16' and 14' were awful, at least for Longview's standards.

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Lmao. 

Hallsville always has size it seems.  And they always seem to have a strong RB and a pretty good QB.

JT’s d was good at times but never great.

On 6/11/2018 at 9:39 AM, Mavchamp said:

Lmao. 

Hallsville does have a D1 commit to A&M this year.  He is an OL.

There was a D1 commit to Georgia Tech a couple of years ago which was a coaches son that transferred in for 2 years.  That coach is now gone.  He was an OL as well.

The prior D1 signee was Cochran back in 2011 to Texas and he was a OL.

Prior to that you had Ingram to OU and Muckelroy to UT and they were both LB's.

Now there have been some skill players that have went JUCO or other smaller schools (D2 or less) in addition to these.

I think that covers everything.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:24 PM, Mavchamp said:

I remember all the "Whitehouse dynasty" talks back in 06, 07, etc from those Wildcat fans.  They claimed they were going to be the boss of East Texas.

Ten years later.... still waiting on that dynasty.

Ten years later....and probably the lowest point in program history.... and we still have had more playoff wins in the last 10 seasons than they have.  lmao.

Dynasty indeed.

#shotsfired #trashtalk

That dynasty left when McFarland was run out of town, I am not sure those same WH fans have posted on here since(rooting for TK Gorman now). WH has not had a high flying offense in 3-4 years now. The last 2 years they lived off their HUGE defensive line that graduated this past year. The DC that benefited form that just became the HC.

As for Nac after 2 straight playoff season, we wasted 2 years of a very talented group of kids. Missed on the playoffs with one of the best secondary's in the state but could not stop the run . Now we are at the beginning of a 3-4 year run with a lot of talent its just a matter of if it can be put together. This group beat Lufkin 55-10 as freshman and beat Gilmer the last few years. We have twin sophomore running backs that are little bowling balls with speed. This is the group with all the brothers of the guys that beat Lufkin back to back years(Jones, Mcclelland and Tolbert) and made the playoffs. We are hoping for the best but unfortunately we have heard these promises before. Community support goes to the liberal arts side of things due to SFA being in town, SFA gets all the money too. The band program runs the district and dictates what other programs do.The inability of the district to keep teachers, principles and Supers has led to most of the top end athletes to transfer to Central Heights, Woden, Garrison, Douglas and many other surrounding communities. Our student population has us at the top end of this district, our athletic programs are closer to the size of a 3a-4a school.