Official 2018-2019 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

cujoforlife

18 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Yeah we have a curse with that turf smh. Haven’t won a playoff game since 92 niether a DC since 82. So those two streaks are left for Nac to break. I was on the 06-07 playoff team under Harper. The most memorable win to me was the Marshall  game I mean we ran the ball at will that night, Kameron Rhodes was the RB. I don’t think we’ve beaten Marshall since then. We also played MP a couple of times we won the last time we played them.

That 06-07 got rewarded in the playoffs with dealing with Ryan Mallet and Texas High. Also that was Scott Surrats last year at Texas High as OC, he took over Carthage the following year.

2 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

That 06-07 got rewarded in the playoffs with dealing with Ryan Mallet and Texas High. Also that was Scott Surrats last year at Texas High as OC, he took over Carthage the following year.

Yeah we hung around for a little while till the second half. That was a brutal region.

I was at the Nac/Texas High palyoff game  at Rose Stadium in 2006. 

I Even sat on the Nac side to cheer them on......  I was happy to see their playoff drought end.  Even though that drought ended thanks to that debacle 07 mentioned when we played Nac.  We were coming off back to back state championship games.... graduated most of our team and squatted in 2006 with a 6-4 record.  We would have made the playoff had Whitehouse not played chicken and "rested their starters" in the final week of the season.  They purposely lost that game to dodge playing Texas High in the playoffs.

While them deliberately losing that game kept us out of the playoffs..... I still think the BIGGEST reason we sat at home was that loss to Nac (27-20). Not to mention we lost to Whitehouse 35-34 that season too.  UGH.  It was a brutal season of "oh so close".

I'm still shocked when I think about the Marshall/Nac playoff game that was at Pine Tree in 2014. 

Mavs were coming off what statiscally was the the WORST stretch in program history 2011-13.  I don't think one single person outside of Marshall picked Marshall to win that game on SDC.  Even recall Natureboy guaranteeing a Nac blowout.  And even a little smack coming from Lufkin because they were in Nac's district that season.

It was COLD, damp, and misreable at Pine Tree Stadium.  Nac might have had 75 people there not including their band. Which shocked me.... I figured they were playoff hungry and would have packed it out.  

Mavs won 67-42 in a game that was pretty close until late in the 3rd quarter IIRC.  

Fun times.  

I'm looking forward to the season.  Now that the coaching drama has dissipated for Marshall....we should be primed for a fun season.  

A chance to make the playoffs for the 6th year in a row and for the 12th time in 15 seasons.  A shot at our 3rd district championship in 4 seasons.

But what we really.....REALLY crave is a playoff win.  Haven't had one since our 2nd round win over South Oak cliff in 2015.   The last two seasons have been brutal in the playoffs.  Wylie East blasted us in 2016....

Last season's loss to Poteet is still sour in my mouth.  We lost by 5....and SHOULD have won that game.  We had so many chances to win it.  But just couldn't get it done...and turnovers doomed us.  But luckily....that sophomore QB will be a year older and have tons of varsity experience under his belt.

Our success in 2018 will depend on the OL....which was a REAL struggle for us in 2017.  Our QB ran for his life most of the season.... which lead to some of his turnovers.  If the OL gels together.... Green in the pocket could be spectacular.  

Defense looked stellar at times last year.....and struggled mightily at other times.  They will have to improve to make strides towards that district title and hopes of a playoff win.  

Spring Ball is in a few weeks.  We will know more soon enough.  Has been an outstanding off season from reports.  The Powerlifting team had another strong season (no pun intended).  And the relay teams have been burning it up (too bad the field events have been horrendous).  

Potential is there for Marshall to be special in 2018 and 2019......but time will tell.  

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I was at the Nac/Texas High palyoff game  at Rose Stadium in 2006. 

I Even sat on the Nac side to cheer them on......  I was happy to see their playoff drought to win.  Even though that drought ended thanks to that debacle 07 mentioned when we played Nac.  We were coming off back to back state championship games.... graduated most of our team and squatted in 2006 with a 6-4 record.  We would have made the playoff had Whitehouse not played chicken and "rested their starters" in the final week of the season.  They purposely lost that game to dodge playing Texas High in the playoffs.

While them deliberately losing that game kept us out of the playoffs..... I still think the BIGGEST reason we sat at home was that loss to Nac (27-20). Not to mention we lost to Whitehouse 35-34 that season too.  UGH.  It was a brutal season of "oh so close".

I'm still shocked when I think about the Marshall/Nac playoff game that was at Pine Tree in 2014. 

Mavs were coming off what statiscally was the the WORST stretch in program history 2011-13.  I don't think one single person outside of Marshall picked Marshall to win that game on SDC.  Even recall Natureboy guaranteeing a Nac blowout.  And even a little smack coming from Lufkin because they were in Nac's district that season.

It was COLD, damp, and misreable at Pine Tree Stadium.  Nac might have had 75 people there not including their band. Which shocked me.... I figured they were playoff hungry and would have packed it out.  

Mavs won 67-42 in a game that was pretty close until late in the 3rd quarter IIRC.  

Fun times.  

I'm looking forward to the season.  Now that the coaching drama has dissipated for Marshall....we should be primed for a fun season.  

A chance to make the playoffs for the 6th year in a row and for the 12th time in 15 seasons.  A shot at our 3rd district championship in 4 seasons.

But what we really.....REALLY crave is a playoff win.  Haven't had one since our 2nd round win over South Oak cliff in 2015.   The last two seasons have been brutal in the playoffs.  Wylie East blasted us in 2016....

Last season's loss to Poteet is still sour in my mouth.  We lost by 5....and SHOULD have won that game.  We had so many chances to win it.  But just couldn't get it done...and turnovers doomed us.  But luckily....that sophomore QB will be a year older and have tons of varsity experience under his belt.

Our success in 2018 will depend on the OL....which was a REAL struggle for us in 2017.  Our QB ran for his life most of the season.... which lead to some of his turnovers.  If the OL gels together.... Green in the pocket could be spectacular.  

Defense looked stellar at times last year.....and struggled mightily at other times.  They will have to improve to make strides towards that district title and hopes of a playoff win.  

Spring Ball is in a few weeks.  We will know more soon enough.  Has been an outstanding off season from reports.  The Powerlifting team had another strong season (no pun intended).  And the relay teams have been burning it up (too bad the field events have been horrendous).  

Potential is there for Marshall to be special in 2018 and 2019......but time will tell.  

Talking about the Marshall/Nac playoff game, that year we ended the season with half our D1 secondary hurt and/or coming back from injury. Brandon Jones played the game in a knee brace after missing 6 weeks. Josh Thompson had a sprained knee. Luck was definitely not on our side, after beating Lufkin , Carthage and Kilgore earlier in the year. Injuries/grades killed us to end the year.

We also forgot to field the ball on pooch kick kickoffs. I think we gave up 3 possessions in a close game, in the 4th Qtr. I was disappointed in the attendance at the playoff game, but I guess the blowout loss to JT to end the year took the wind out of our sails.

54 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Can't believe I going to say this but Whitehouse or gulp Nac will win this District. 

Would you care to wager on that Naustradomis or would you prefer picking Vanderbilt for the CFP?  

1 hour ago, Lion70 said:

Can't believe I going to say this but Whitehouse or gulp Nac will win this District. 

So you are picking a 1-9 team that hasn't won a home game in 2 years and a 6-4 team that graduated their entire defense to win the district??

I would love to see Nac. do it, I just cant pick them until they win more than 1 game.

I’ll agree we weren’t spectacular. 

But winning a district championship and coming within 5 points of upsetting a defending state semifinalist in the playoffs with a third string sophomore quarterback is hard to thumb your nose at. 

Had we not lost our starting QB before the season.... I believe we would have gone 9-1 in the regular season.  Only Longview dominated us.  The other 3 losses in the regular season were by 7 points or less. 

I think we would have beat Poteet had we had him in the playoffs too. 

Likely would have lost in the second round.   But a 10-2 record would have looked a lot better than 6-5. 

Jmho. 

1 hour ago, cujoforlife said:

It will have to be a wait and see thing for me. Like I am every season. This is to johntylerfan.

It's the same with me as well. I'm just giving my opinion on JT's speed and backing it up with FACTS. Like I said before, speed doesn't guarantee anything, but it helps. JT has O-line and D-line issues to work out. We have enough talent to compete in this district and into the playoffs. 

10 hours ago, johntylerfan said:

It's the same with me as well. I'm just giving my opinion on JT's speed and backing it up with FACTS. Like I said before, speed doesn't guarantee anything, but it helps. JT has O-line and D-line issues to work out. We have enough talent to compete in this district and into the playoffs. 

JT’s problem is the QB. Having two of the RB getting hurt didn’t help things either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

Why is JT’s spring game so far from Lee’s?

JT starts spring ball a few days later. BTW,  JT'strack team is headed STATE in the 4x100 and 4x200! JT beat the defending 6A 4x100 relay state champion The Woodlands yesterday in Waco!

On 4/29/2018 at 8:30 AM, johntylerfan said:

JT starts spring ball a few days later. BTW,  JT'strack team is headed STATE in the 4x100 and 4x200! JT beat the defending 6A 4x100 relay state champion The Woodlands yesterday in Waco!

Nice good job JT.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, thstiger1997 said:

Any Texas High fans have a idea on what's going on at the field? Not sure if we are getting turf or just a new grass field. 

Well from reading the post on the other thread about this it seem as if they are going to be putting field turf.

I don't like posting the same thing in two threads..... but since the 16-5A thread will be coming to a close whenever the softball and baseball playoffs wrap up.... that will signal the official beginning of 9-5ADII talk.

So here goes......

College Football offers coming in so far in Marshall:

Tajh Washington (WR) (8)
Kansas
Air Force
Bowling Green
Texas State
Tulsa
University of Louisiana- Lafayette
McNeese
Arkansas- Pine Bluff
Houston Baptist

Christian Hood (OL/C)(6):
Southern Miss
Alcorn State
Northwestern State
Lamar Univeristy
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Houston Baptist

Savion Williams (WR) (3):
Bowling Green
Texas State
Southern Miss

JJ Green (QB)(3)
Nebraska
Ole Miss,
Texas State

DeKendrick Bender (WR/QB) (1):
Air Force Academy

That's 21 total offers thus far....and it's only May.  Hope there's more to come this fall.  If the season turns out as special as some are expecting..... there should be more offers to even more players coming.

Mav Spring Game is May 23rd.

http://www.marshallmavericks.net/