Week One: 5A #3 Lufkin at 6A #7 Longview (08/31)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2018 at 12:30 AM

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

I'm going for quality over quantity in this one.  This is basically a Longview thread anyway . Most Lufkin folks know not to get to into something like this too deep. We already know what the intensity and now the media promotion of this game will be before hand. It is always tough in Longview and a struggle for anyone that comes in there to this, no matter how good or ranked they are supposed to be. Lobo Stadium is a true home-field advantage for them. See you on game day and see what happens. Thankful it's going to be a little bit later start time now, it will be cooler.

Quality post. I hope both fanbases can just step back and enjoy this game for everything it is. 

Honestly, there really isn't too much to talk about now a days between Longview and Lufkin.

Everything has been said, everything has been talked about. We've met 24 times in the last 17 years. We pretty much know everything there is to know about the other.

I could probably recite half of the Lufkin fight song at this point lol.

No doubt the rivalry is still there. Last season's playoff meeting showed just how much fun this game and meeting can be. But am definitely glad the hatred on the boards has died down at a little bit since that horrible 2014 thread.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Honestly, there really isn't too much to talk about now a days between Longview and Lufkin.

Everything has been said, everything has been talked about. We've met 24 times in the last 17 years. We pretty much know everything there is to know about the other.

I could probably recite half of the Lufkin fight song at this point lol.

No doubt the rivalry is still there. Last season's playoff meeting showed just how much fun this game and meeting can be. But am definitely glad the hatred on the boards has died down at a little bit since that horrible 2014 thread.

Good stuff as per usual LoboFan07, and aside from a few snarkers, I think there's a lot of mutual respect between the two programs. The rivalry appears to have matured a bit...  at least, for some of us.  ;) 

But yeah...  there's a lot of intensity going into this game, and it doesn't seem as nasty as it's been in past years. It's a rivalry based on mutual respect for the other's strength. Neither team is going in assuming they are superior to the other. Rather both teams want to prove something to themselves by beating the other. This is what schoolboy ball is supposed to be all about.

I think a strong Lufkin playing a strong Longview in Week 1 is gonna be a good thing for both programs. While I'm obviously hoping for a Lobo victory, I'm also hoping for a hard-fought win. Starting the season off with a fierce scrap could set both teams up for a deep playoff run. 

4 hours ago, AKA said:

Good stuff as per usual LoboFan07, and aside from a few snarkers, I think there's a lot of mutual respect between the two programs. The rivalry appears to have matured a bit...  at least, for some of us.  ;) 

But yeah...  there's a lot of intensity going into this game, and it doesn't seem as nasty as it's been in past years. It's a rivalry based on mutual respect for the other's strength. Neither team is going in assuming they are superior to the other. Rather both teams want to prove something to themselves by beating the other. This is what schoolboy ball is supposed to be all about.

I think a strong Lufkin playing a strong Longview in Week 1 is gonna be a good thing for both programs. While I'm obviously hoping for a Lobo victory, I'm also hoping for a hard-fought win. Starting the season off with a fierce scrap could set both teams up for a deep playoff run. 

Exactly. This game won't make or break either one of our seasons- it'll be a great chance for both teams to face a strong opponent early in the season and realize that the teams they'll face are just as strong and talented as they are. The speed of this game will prepare both teams for the upcoming season and hopefully playoffs. It's kind of funny- after playing teams like Lufkin, JT, and Marshall (who, let's face it, DO have tremendous athletes), we're ready to take on ANYONE from Mesquite. 

I am glad to see PackAttack is back after his complete meltdown last season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

after playing teams like Lufkin, JT, and Marshall (who, let's face it, DO have tremendous athletes), we're ready to take on ANYONE from Mesquite.

The only team in Mesquite that's comparable to those teams is Horn, and Horn would beat almost all of them outside of maybe Lufkin this year. Marshall would struggle with Mesquite and North, just as they have with Lee the last two years.

Horn is going to be an extremely tough test again this season, and no doubt will put a scare into us if we don't come ready to play. Givens is the real deal IMO. Still have Rockwall to worry about before getting to them though. They'll be more than pumped to try and beat us after feeling like last season's game got away from them.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

It's kind of funny- after playing teams like Lufkin, JT, and Marshall (who, let's face it, DO have tremendous athletes), we're ready to take on ANYONE from Mesquite. 

Hmm. Mesquite and North, maybe.

Horn is a completely different animal however. 

Just for spoiler alert: I do have Longview at 10-0 this year (assuming 100% health of course). But I'm banking on that 10-0 because we'll be a good team and I'm confident in em...not necessarily because our pre-district schedule will prepare us. Not meaning to say this as disrespect but outside of Lufkin, not sure what preparation the others will give us. Marshall does have athletes this year but is more of an "at the gate" game ($$), JT will have the athletes but not sure how good they'll be as a team fresh off a season where they missed playoffs. Who knows where their confidence will be as well coming off potentially two losses to Cedar Hill and Lee. And Ruston.....nevermind. 

Besides that, talk about schedule preparation, Horn triumphs everyone in our district in that department by far.

Horn is playing Allen, Highland Park, Cedar Hill and Arlington High who was a 10-3 squad last season.

As 07 said, Horn and Rockwall are going to be very tough games. Horn being battle tested on top of returning a good team and Rockwall returning a good team + having homefield advantage. It's gonna be a challenge winning in Rockwall two years in a row.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Horn is playing Allen, Highland Park, Cedar Hill and Arlington High who was a 10-3 squad last season.

That would've been such a fun non-district schedule to play. Sigh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AKA said:

Yep, nothing really to say anymore. We all know each other. Both fan bases, coaches and players from each team know each other. The hate is definitely still there by many, but i believe that we both have more respect for each other than we’ve had in the past. Also, i don’t think anyone wants a repeat of that 2014 thread. I definitely don’t. It was bad. So, there hasn’t been much trash talking since then. Well.....other than that one thread when we got on 84 about her love life. Lol. But yea.....nothing really to say anymore. We still may fight at times, but i think the respect from both sides will always be there. I honestly wish the lobos well in 6A. As for the game, just taking a wait and see approach like last season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

What happened in 2014?!

For the playoff game or the one earlier in the year? 

These threads are nothing like some of those morons who used to get on 5A. Wide, I think he name was? Terrible. 

Or clisle 

10 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

The 2014 playoff game thread. 

Yep. That playoff game thread was a disaster. I was a big part of it and I still feel shame from it. Glad we've both come a long way.

As you said, we might clash here and there. But the respect is still there. I know a lot of Lp fans felt like Longview fans weren't giving them any respect last December, and I'm sure some will feel the same way this August tbh.

I think we're both just excited to get the season underway with both having such lofty expectations.

• Like 1

I just hope the Pack and Bos can live up to expectations this season. I hate being ranked this high and so many around the state picking you to win it. Just hoping the boys can deal with all of the pressure and live up to the hype. It would be something special for east Texas, if Lufkin and Longview were in the state game this season and won it all. All of the green and purple in Dallas. Goodness. Just hope it happens. 

5 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Yep. That playoff game thread was a disaster. I was a big part of it and I still feel shame from it. Glad we've both come a long way.

As you said, we might clash here and there. But the respect is still there. I know a lot of Lp fans felt like Longview fans weren't giving them any respect last December, and I'm sure some will feel the same way this August tbh.

I think we're both just excited to get the season underway with both having such lofty expectations.

Yep, I played my role in it as well. I can’t even go back and read it because i know how bad it was. Glad things have improved since that game and thread. I think i was one of the individuals mad last season because i didn’t think lobo fans were giving us enough credit for improving since that first game. Mostly because so many people were picking a blowout or for the lobos to win by several scores. But regardless, i know the respect from both sides is there now. 

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

LoboFan07 getting heated?! Now I'm curious lol

lol. It wasn't much better the year earlier in 2013 vs some of those Horn posters on the old 5A site.

• LOL! 1

Yall made me go look at that 2014 thread. There was some hurt feelings for sure. Man I forgot that LP went up 28-0, and LGV came back and won 43-42. Went for 2 on the last TD. I read a couple of pages in the beginning and then looked at the game post. That was a roller coaster of emotions, haha.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Yall made me go look at that 2014 thread. There was some hurt feelings for sure. Man I forgot that LP went up 28-0, and LGV came back and won 43-42. Went for 2 on the last TD. I read a couple of pages in the beginning and then looked at the game post. That was a roller coaster of emotions, haha.

That game is on youtube. I still can't believe that 2nd half happened. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

What happened in 2014?!

For the playoff game or the one earlier in the year? 

These threads are nothing like some of those morons who used to get on 5A. Wide, I think he name was? Terrible. 

Wide had ppl complaining to the Katy mods lol