Week One: 5A #3 Lufkin at 6A #7 Longview (08/31)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2018 at 12:30 AM

23 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Yall made me go look at that 2014 thread. There was some hurt feelings for sure. Man I forgot that LP went up 28-0, and LGV came back and won 43-42. Went for 2 on the last TD. I read a couple of pages in the beginning and then looked at the game post. That was a roller coaster of emotions, haha.

;)

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

16 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

That game is on youtube. I still can't believe that 2nd half happened. 

Longview never should've had just 7 going into the half of that game. The kicked themselves in the foot time after time after time after time in that first half, with fumbles and penalties and drops. Just ugly.

Chumley and that 2014 team was beyond disappointing, with how things just never really came together for NUMEROUS reasons....but that game will forever live in Lobo history as one of the greatest playoff games ever.

• Like 1

Well, I hardly remember what I had for lunch yesterday much less what happened back in 2014. I do know our defensive coordinator was reassigned after that playoff game and replaced. Not sure it was totally his fault or if he was the scapegoat. Anyway, it was a great comeback win for the Lobos and one big implosion for Lufkin Panther football.

All that matters now is what is in front of us, the past is the past as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Well, I hardly remember what I had for lunch yesterday much less what happened back in 2014.

We could always talk about the 2004 game again....I bet ya remember that one ;) haha

• Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Longview never should've had just 7 going into the half of that game. The kicked themselves in the foot time after time after time after time in that first half, with fumbles and penalties and drops. Just ugly.

Chumley and that 2014 team was beyond disappointing, with how things just never really came together for NUMEROUS reasons....but that game will forever live in Lobo history as one of the greatest playoff games ever.

We should've had 14 for sure. We definitely scored going into half but refs said Hasty didn't get in.

lol at all the Lufkin fans posting my prediction from 6A on twitter.

If you really need my prediction to get you boys relied up and have some motivation (a month away at that), you've got a bigger problem on your hands.

19 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Throwback Thursday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbeP27DExyM

May the outcome be similar but reversed this time around. ;)

“It’s not our fault they’re bad” 😂 oh, i miss Coach Outlaw. Don’t see that outcome happening at all though. Regardless of the final score, one team was much better than the other that season, especially talent wise. However, I don’t think it’s like that this year. Both teams will be good. We’ll see i guess, but i don’t think Longview is just that much better on both sides of the ball than us. Again Maybe I’m wrong, but we’ll see..

29 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Low scoring game? I'd be shocked. 

We’re bringing in a talented defense.....that i hope plays up to their potential. I only said 31 and 27 because of the respect i have for the lobo offense. Honestly thinking it may be like 24-21. If it’s in the 40s or even close to that and we didn’t go into overtime though, i think that favors Longview 

3 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

We’re bringing in a talented defense.....that i hope plays up to their potential. I only said 31 and 27 because of the respect i have for the lobo offense. 

It remains to be seen how good our defense is, but I do think it's funny that some Lufkin fans are just acting as if our defense won't be good.

I fully expect our run D to be extremely good. And it's not like Thomas has set the world on fire against us (7 on 7 doesn't count). I don't think he's anywhere near as good of a quarterback as the others we will face this season.

We heard how good the Lufkin defense was last year, and that led to us scoring 33 points on the road (basically) by a beat up Lobo offense. A year later, completely healthy, everyone back...I just don't see Lufkin holding us under 30 to be honest.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Ah yeah... That was the year they were #1 and and got blown out by Round Rock. One of the biggest shockers I've ever seen. Did Dez get hurt that game or something?

Not injured, he "conveniently" caught a case of stone hands that game, conveniently.

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Throwback Thursday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbeP27DExyM

May the outcome be similar but reversed this time around. ;)

That 06 team might have gotten beat down that game, but I think it would’ve been a lot closer if we had met later in the year. We had a strong chance of going all the way to the Semis that year if we just keep the foot on the throat of Garland, but we let up and had that field goal blocked. Outgained them 377 to 117...yet lose. Ugh.

This may allready be posted somewhere ...don't know. I picked up the dave campbell's high school magazine for this year and lufkin is picked to win state in there division and longview is picked to lose in the state finals.That is impressive for 5a and 6a of east texas.Of course that is just a pick and anything can happen during the season like injuries that can change the whole course of things.

6 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

That 06 team might have gotten beat down that game, but I think it would’ve been a lot closer if we had met later in the year. We had a strong chance of going all the way to the Semis that year if we just keep the foot on the throat of Garland, but we let up and had that field goal blocked. Outgained them 377 to 117...yet lose. Ugh.

The "Garland ISD curse" were tough times in the mid 2000s. 

Even had me shaking in my boots in 07 when we faced SG in Area but thankfully, the curse ended after 06 lol

43 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

It remains to be seen how good our defense is, but I do think it's funny that some Lufkin fans are just acting as if our defense won't be good.

I fully expect our run D to be extremely good. And it's not like Thomas has set the world on fire against us (7 on 7 doesn't count). I don't think he's anywhere near as good of a quarterback as the others we will face this season.

We heard how good the Lufkin defense was last year, and that led to us scoring 33 points on the road (basically) by a beat up Lobo offense. A year later, completely healthy, everyone back...I just don't see Lufkin holding us under 30 to be honest.

I don’t remember ever saying the lobo defense wouldn't be good this season. And i read all of this talk last season and y’all are still underestimating the Pack. Y’all took shots at Thomas before the game last year and he played well against the lobo defense. He didn’t have to light them up in order to have a good game. Yea, he had help from the running game, but he played well. That’s all we needed. You make some valid points regarding the defense, but with most back and another year under their belt, also with it being the first game of the season. Not expecting lobos to get close to 40. Just my opinion 

33 minutes ago, ANTI said:

The "Garland ISD curse" were tough times in the mid 2000s. 

Even had me shaking in my boots in 07 when we faced SG in Area but thankfully, the curse ended after 06 lol

The 2002 and 2004 teams didn't have troubles with the Garland schools. Especially 2002 lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The 2002 and 2004 teams didn't have troubles with the Garland schools. Especially 2002 lol

That comment was more so aimed at 05/06 squads lol

14 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I don’t remember ever saying the lobo defense wouldn't be good this season. And i read all of this talk last season and y’all are still underestimating the Pack. Y’all took shots at Thomas before the game last year and he played well against the lobo defense. He didn’t have to light them up in order to have a good game. Yea, he had help from the running game, but he played well. That’s all we needed.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Help from the running game = Phillips carrying the offense with 3 touchdowns and 237 yards.

I don't think you have a back or multiple backs that will match that, but y'all seem to believe so.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Help from the running game = Phillips carrying the offense with 3 touchdowns and 237 yards.

I don't think you have a back or multiple backs that will match that, but y'all seem to believe so.

I’m not sure why you think we have to match that production from last year in order to be successful or win. It’s been proven that we can reload on offense basically every year.