Week One: 5A #3 Lufkin at 6A #7 Longview (08/31)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2018 at 12:30 AM

longview.pnglufkin.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (0-0, 0-0) VS LUFKIN PANTHERS (0-0, 0-0)

DATE: Friday, August 31st, 2018
TIME: 8:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
LUFKIN BROADCAST: KICKS 105
TELEVISION BROADCAST: Fox Sports Southwest

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 40-37-4 longview.png

The Lobos have a 9-8-2 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The two schools are tied at 25-25-2 when the game is a district contest.
The Lobos have a 6-4 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 3-2 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 18-15-3 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Panthers have a 20-18-1 lead when the game is played at Lufkin.
Longview has won the last two meetings with the Panthers.
Longview is 14-5-2 all-time against Lufkin at Lobo Stadium (new), with the Lobos winning the last six meetings there.
Lufkin is 1-0 all-time when the game is played on August 31st.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
12.09.2017 - Longview 33, Lufkin 32 - Homer Bryce Stadium
09.01.2017 - Longview 35, Lufkin 16 - Lobo Stadium
08.26.2016 - Lufkin 35, Longview 24 - Abe Martin Stadium
11.13.2015 - Longview 31, Lufkin 10 - Trinity Mother France Rose Stadium
08.28.2015 - Longview 21, Lufkin 20 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
For the 5th consecutive season, two old rivals will meet to begin the football season. In their 82nd meeting overall, the Longview Lobos will do battle with the Lufkin Panthers in the opening game of the 2018 football season. The Lobos, coming off a 13-2 season and an appearance in the 6A Division II State Semi-Finals in 2017, will be looking to continue their recent magic against the Pack. Longview has won 5 of their previous 6 meetings against Lufkin, and 8 of their last 10. Those numbers include three playoffs victories, which culminated in last season’s State Quarterfinal match up that saw the Lobos come from behind in the final minute to erase a 32-26 deficit and walk away with a 33-32 victory over their rivals. The two squads will take a break from meeting in the post season the next two seasons with Lufkin dropping to Class 5A Division I while Longview remains in Class 6A. Returning for Longview is a host of offensive support all over the field. But the highlight will undoubtedly by Longview’s junior quarterback in Haynes King. King took over for the Lobos following their 52-34 loss to Mesquite Horn four games into the 2017 season as a sophomore. King never looked back after getting his first start the next week against Tyler Lee, finishing the season with 25 passing touchdowns which ended as the 2nd best passing touchdown mark in a season by a Longview quarterback. The Panthers also returned their quarterback in Kewone Thomas, but will face to find a way to replace all everything running back in Isaiah Phillips who finished with three touchdowns and 237 yards against the Lobos last November. Longview and Lufkin will be meeting for the 12th consecutive year, in which they will have played 17 games in those 12 years. The two schools have met twice in 2007, 2014, 2015 and 2017 in recent seasons. Overall, the two schools will be meeting for the 82nd time where Longview has gained a 40-37-4 overall record in the previous 81 games. The series dates back to 1932, where the Panthers ran away with a 34-0 victory in Panther Stadium. The series has mostly remained closed through it’s nearly 90 year history, with Longview’s 8 game lead being the largest margin. Longview’s largest victory in the series came in 1958, when the Lobos take advantage of four Lufkin turnovers in a 62-0 victory in Longview. Lufkin’s largest victory in the series came in 1954, when the Panthers ran for over 440 yards and intercepted 4 Longview passes to run to a 48-7 victory. Longview and Lufkin have met 10 times in the post season, the Lobos having won 6 of the 10 including the last three. Lufkin will enter Lobo Stadium on a six game losing streak in Longview. The Panthers last win in the city of Longview came in 2003, when the Pack shut out the Lobos 14-0 in game that saw nothing but rain, rain and more rain. Since then, the Lobos have picked up a 31-24 victory in 2007, a 24-10 victory in 2011, a 55-30 victory in 2013, a 21-20 victory in 2015 and a 35-16 win in last season’s season opener.

WEEK ONE 11-6A SCHEDULE:
Longview vs Lufkin (Lobo Stadium)
Mesquite at Lake Highlands (Wildcat-Ram Stadium)
Mesquite Horn at Allen (Eagle Stadium)
North Mesquite vs Arlington Sam Houston (E.H. Hanby Stadium)
Rockwall at Highland Park (Highlander Stadium)
Rockwall Heath at Keller Timber Creek (Keller ISD Stadium) {Thursday}
Tyler Lee vs Marshall (Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium)

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. Longview (0-0, 0-0)
2nd. Mesquite (0-0, 0-0)
3rd. Mesquite Horn (0-0, 0-0)
4th. North Mesquite (0-0, 0-0)
5th. Rockwall (0-0, 0-0)
6th. Rockwall Heath (0-0, 0-0)
7th. Tyler Lee (0-0, 0-0)

DISTRICT 12-6A OVERVIEW
Starting in week two, a look at our first round playoff opponent.
Belton hosts Austin Westlake, Copperas Cove hosts UNAL from Mexico, Killeen travels to Round Rock Stony Point, Killeen Ellison host A&M Consolidated, Killeen Harker Heights hosts Round Rock, Killeen Shoemaker travels to San Angelo Central, Temple hosts Round Rock Cedar Ridge, Waco Midway hosts Euless Trinity, Waco High hosts Waco University.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 0-0 (0-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (152-36 in 13 seasons) (Playoffs: 34-14)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 713-345-52 (Playoffs: 63-41-1)
Playoff Appearances: 43
Last Playoff Appearance: 2017, 6A Division II State Semi-Final
State Championships (1): 1937 (1A)
State Championship Appearances (4): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.31 - vs Lufkin
09.07 - at Marshall
09.14 - vs John Tyler
09.21 - at Ruston
09.28 - at Rockwall
10.12 - vs Mesquite Horn
10.19 - at Rockwall Heath
10.26 - vs North Mesquite
11.02 - at Tyler Lee
11.09 - vs Mesquite

LUFKIN PANTHERS
Record: 0-0 (0-0)
District: 8-5A Division 1
Coach: Todd Quick (45-26 in 5 seasons) (Playoffs: 5-6)
First Year of Football: 1911
All-Time Record: 683-343-37 (Playoffs: 46-37-0)
Playoff Appearances: 39
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 6A Division II State Quarterfinals
State Championships (1): 2001 (5A D2)
State Championship Appearances (2): 1943 (1A), 2001 (5A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.31 - at Longview
09.07 - vs Nacogdoches
09.14 - vs Monterrey Prepa Tech
09.28 - at Willis
10.05 - vs Magnolia
10.12 - at College Station
10.19 - vs Tomball
10.26 - at Magnolia West
11.02 - vs Caney Creek
11.09 - at Waller

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: August 31st
In 2001, Longview traveled east to take on nationally ranked Evangel and John David Booty. The Eagles controlled the game throughout in Pat Collins’ first game of his 2nd year at the helm of the Lobos. Held to just 179 yards on the day, the Lobos saw Thomas Bachman of Evangel score three times on the night in a 27-7 defeat at Rodney Duron Stadium.
In 2007, the Lobos started hot to kick off the 2007 season with a 13-0 lead in front of 9,000 at Abe Martin Stadium. Longview was looking to defeat Lufkin for the first time in 11 tries, but it wasn’t to be as the Panthers climbed back into the contest before taking their first lead of the game with 1:09 to play behind a Jaborski Smiley pass reception.

lobohowl2.GIF

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlion said:

Someone is anxious about starting the season. Outside of my own team this is probably my favorite Rivalry. It's s true Rivalry that very competitive, had District Championships and Playoff games on the line.  Both teams will be extremely good and expectations are sky high for both. I take Longview @ home. 

He is always the person to post a game thread. It’s not the start of the season until you see his posts. Then everyone else follows right behind him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quick said:

Somebody find me some wood to knock on! Nevermind, I forgot my head is still accessible.....

I mean...he's not wrong though. Lobos pretty much don't lose at home.

62-4 on the field at home under King. 6-0 vs Lufkin.

4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Heck, just 37 losses in the 224 game history of the stadium.

It's too early for me to say too much about the game, other than Lufkin will be ready to end the streak at Lobo + will be angry about last November. Phillips was their everything and will be difficult to replace, but no doubt they'll be a tough test for our young D right out of the gates.

On 7/3/2018 at 8:37 AM, ANTI said:

Well....when you have alumni as refs....lmao. Kidding aside, i can’t wait for this one. I think it’s going to be close regardless of who wins. Similar to 2015 and few other games we’ve had up there imo. Lobos should be favored of course since i believe their offense will be more ready than ours early in the season and of course they are playing at home. However, If the defense plays as well as expected and we don’t have many key mistakes on special teams/offense (also injuries), we’ll definitely have a chance on the road imo. I’m sure the guys have been thinking about this game since December. This may be the year we finally win up there with what we have coming back. I think we haven’t won since 03??

On 7/3/2018 at 8:44 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Heck, just 37 losses in the 224 game history of the stadium.

It's too early for me to say too much about the game, other than Lufkin will be ready to end the streak at Lobo + will be angry about last November. Phillips was their everything and will be difficult to replace, but no doubt they'll be a tough test for our young D right out of the gates.

December right? I took those pics from sfa on December 9th what my phone shows Or maybe I’m wrong.. 

2 hours ago, Hlion said:

Dag gum 62-4 and 37 gamez good grief. Does anyone come close to that ?  

6-0 is very impressive two of which resulted in come backs if not mistaken. Lufkin sure ain't the same since Outlaw . I kind wish they had picked Todd Dodge when Outlaw passed. He was interested at the time.

To be fair though, Abe almost hates us as much as Lobo hates them. lol

Only win we have at their house in the same time frame was the blowout win over them in 2012. Other than that, no luck at Abe.

3 hours ago, Pack007 said:

I think it’s going to be close regardless of who wins. Similar to 05 and few other games we’ve had up there imo.

Think you're thinking of 07. Didn't play in 05 at all, and 06 was at Abe on FSSW. Believe that year was the last year y'all were ranked #1 at any point in a season.

08 was definitely one I think Lufkin fans will feel that got away at Lobo. '11 & '13 weren't that close (especially '13). '15 should've gone to OT if not for that fantastic blocked kick. Then of course last season's opener was pretty decisive at the end of things.

On 7/3/2018 at 2:56 PM, LoboFan07 said:

Think you're thinking of 07. Didn't play in 05 at all, and 06 was at Abe on FSSW. Believe that year was the last year y'all were ranked #1 at any point in a season.

08 was definitely one I think Lufkin fans will feel that got away at Lobo. '11 & '13 weren't that close (especially '13). '15 should've gone to OT if not for that fantastic blocked kick. Then of course last season's opener was pretty decisive at the end of things.

I meant 2015

On 7/3/2018 at 2:56 PM, LoboFan07 said:

I feel 08 and 07 were games we could’ve won. In 07 we caught back up after going down i think four scores if i remember correctly. 2015 i thought Quick should’ve gone for two like King did in the playoff game the year before 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I feel 08 and 07 were games we could’ve won. In 07 we caught back up after going down i think four scores if i remember correctly. 2015 i thought Quick should’ve gone for two like King did in the playoff game the year before 

Yep, 07 we were up 28-0 before y'all came up back at 28-24...then we had that beyond epic 8 and half minute drive to basically kill the game.

I still don't know why Quick didn't go for two. We all thought they were going to go for it...not like it was a game that meant that much anyways in the overall scheme of things.

This game is gonna be, as the kids say, LIT AF

You got the season + home opener for Longview, "Green Out" Night, the debut of the new billion-dollar scoreboard, a Fox Sports broadcast, two zealous fanbases with sky-high expectations for the coming season, two of the most talented schoolboy teams in the entire region facing off in a rematch of one of the most thrilling finishes in recent memory. 

Guys, it's gonna be awesome. Better get there early cause Loop 281 is gonna be a parking lot. 

Lobos!

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, LoboFan07 said:

I know this has been talked about, but have they officially reported this to be confirmed??

Not, like, confirmed confirmed, but unofficially officially confirmed. 

Barring the unforeseen, it's happening. Just gotta dot all the T's and cross the I's. 

• Like 3

I really like what I’ve seen from this program and team, especially the defense, receivers and a few of the new guys that we’ll have in the backfield. I’ll miss Phillips and wish he and Jackson were returning this season, but It seems we’ll still have some talent in the backfield again coming up. Will they be as productive next season and get 2000 yards? More than likely not, but I’m expecting good things. It may just take them and the line a few weeks in the season to gel. But i believe they’ll get there. Glad we’ll have a TE to help with things too. Just need Thomas to continue his improvements, because we’ll have the talent at receiver again with Polk, Titan and a few others. I’m expecting a great game and atmosphere at the ol bat cave. Hoping we can pull it off and end the streak, but similar to last year, I’m mostly hoping we can stay healthy and continue to improve after this one. That’s more important considering the win doesn’t really matter with us being 5A, other than i guess for confidence going into the season maybe and bragging rights against a rival/ending the streak up there lol. Maybe we can give the lobos a good game. I remember before the game last season, a lobo said on here or the 6A forum that the lobos should stop playing us and find better competition like SLC, Allen, Desoto it etc. Just hoping we can keep it close i guess..☺️

On 7/4/2018 at 11:19 AM, Pack007 said:

I remember before the game last season, a lobo said on here or the 6A forum that the lobos should stop playing us and find better competition like SLC, Allen, Desoto it etc.

And more than enough Pack fans said on your board that they wished the series would end as well.

I rather face those 3 teams just because it'll prepare us for the playoffs. I don't think Marshall or Ruston helps us prepare for the playoffs, just my opinion. John Tyler and Lufkin are both huge, huge rivalry games right now and they are pretty unpredictable for the most part. I'm just tired of the Lufkin series (which has also been mentioned on the Lp board). It drains so much out of each fan base.

Still wish the Arlington Martin series came to fruition, but is what it is.

1 hour ago, Hlion said:

I get what your saying  but Lufkin is a good test and everyone needs a competitive Rivalry. I understand Longview/Marshall Nac /Lufkin teams that you don't like but usually always beat. Those teams won't prepare you. I like too see Travis Westlake type schools . The Abilene series was great but South lake Carrol would be my choices but they are too good to come to East Texas LoL. I just don't understand why . Y'all have a good Stadium and against teams that one usually doesn't see.

That Abilene series was a blast. They're down right now, but they are usually a great test and their fans are very fun to interact with. Facing Cooper sometime down the road would be fun too I'd imagine.

Southlake has no reason to travel here, but it is a little irritating knowing they'll travel all that way up to Oklahoma for a series against Union or whomever but won't come out this way. Ah well. I think we've had a chance to face them 3 times in the playoffs now, we lost one..and they lost two. Just hasn't worked out that way yet. And now they'll be D1 the next two seasons so any hope of that is out the window.

Temple was the other series that we were rumored to have but then they got put in a large district, which killed any hope of that happening. I have no idea what happened with the DeSoto rumored series.That seemed to go silent after our season ended. I know why we scheduled Ruston, with Baugh as their head coach. Just..they're not the team they were back in the 90s when we were playing them every year.

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

And more than enough Pack fans said on your board that they wished the series would end as well.

I rather face those 3 teams just because it'll prepare us for the playoffs. I don't think Marshall or Ruston helps us prepare for the playoffs, just my opinion. John Tyler and Lufkin are both huge, huge rivalry games right now and they are pretty unpredictable for the most part. I'm just tired of the Lufkin series (which has also been mentioned on the Lp board). It drains so much out of each fan base.

Still wish the Arlington Martin series came to fruition, but is what it is.

For me, the hate has died down a lot with Lufkin, especially since the passing of Coach Outlaw (not saying I hated Coach Outlaw.. I really liked him!). I've come to realize that it was only there due to a few posters back on 5ATexasFootball back when it was a thing, but I can't really let a few jerks sour a fanbase for me, especially now that I personally know a few of the guys we played against back in 04. Also, Lufkin isn't the unbeatable juggernaut they were back then, so they're not as tough to play against. 

Marshall, for all the history, has kinda run its course. I love playing them for the sake of playing them, but I don't think it helps either team at this point.